PDA

View Full Version : Dahm/Legein/Schiestel at NHL Prospect camps

AlphaDog
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I was just contacted by a photographer who works for the newspaper (Roedovre Lokal Nyt) in Sebastian Dahm's hometown and it has been reported that Sebastian has been invited by the Chicago Blackhawks to a small camp that will be going on where he'll be competing for a spot against 4 other goaltenders.

GO DAHM GO!

I.L.L.
06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I was just contacted by a photographer who works for the newspaper (Roedovre Lokal Nyt) in Sebastian Dahm's hometown and it has been reported that Sebastian has been invited by the Chicago Blackhawks to a small camp that will be going on where he'll be competing for a spot against 4 other goaltenders.

GO DAHM GO!

Thanks for the info!! He deserves it!

Way to go Sebastian! Knock 'em dead!!

three dog night
06-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Good luck Sebastian well derserve.

IceDogs5
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Great to hear - Good luck Sebastian!

RioBravo
06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Ah SO happy for the guy...100% deserves this!

Casey
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
HahHAHAHAH YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I can't wait to see what develops from that =)

mike0609
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Absolutely fantastic. He deserves a crack at the Bigs.... Sebastian.... A truly class act......

ItsGameTime
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Im not sure hes competing for a spot on the roster, but a good start would be to do well now and maybe find himself in rockford come the start of next season

cindyb
06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
GOOD! omg I agree, he definately deserves this! That's amazing, he'll show them! GOOD LUCK!

three dog night
06-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Maybe if he starts at Rockford we may get to see him play if they visit Hamilton next season

Niagara Ice Puppies
06-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Here's hoping he can get a spot on Rockford !

strohs
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Work Hard SeaBass!

Make the most of this opportunity, you definitely deserve it.

You are a class act.

Joel
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
as long as he doesnt try to play the puck like hes stoned...like he did against the generals...he'll make it no matter what :D go DAHM :D

TheQuietOne
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Great news for Sebastian! Good luck in the next step! We will see you in the show some day soon.

NightHawk2810
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Good luck Sebastian . :thumbup:

Quizzer83
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Good luck, Sebastian! :-)

skatee
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
the hawks finally have their development camp roster up
dahm is one of five goalies including sparkplug Josh Unice
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/2008prospectscamproster.htm
camp started July 7 and ends July 11

legein is also at jackets camp this week (no shock there)

wish foreman has gotten invited to one.. (cant find it if he did)

ItsGameTime
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
This is what someone on a Columbus Blue Jacket forum said about Legein...

"I think that Legein had a pretty good day, too - I noticed how clean a lot of his passing was, and he either created or assisted some nice goals himself. I know a lot of people keep penciling him in as a future bottom 6 agitator, but I am starting to wonder if we're selling him a little short.

If he can fill out and be a good guy in the room, I'd far rather have a fast, scrappy guy with some scoring touch on my 2nd line then, say, a fast scrappy guy who has a history of concrete stick. (*cough* CHIMERA. *cough*) I don't know if he's NHL ready, but I'm really interested to hear how he does in Syracuse."

Here are a few other snipits of comments made about Legein at the Prospect camp

Legein tended to be talking to just about everyone, joking around a bit or offering some tips or encouragement a few times, but when he needed to skate he shut up and got going - there were a few times he was going across ice so hard that the only thing keeping his helmet on was the chinstrap. You could easily see his scoring touch as well as some very nice lead passes, even in drills where he was working against defensemen. He seemed to do really well when paired up with Calvert or Voracek - I noticed that those pairs got a lot of goals past York or Mior.

Legein- just looked quick and confident out there. Good hands

skatee
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks for the update on lege.. good to see positive stuff

ItsGameTime
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I found this comment by a poster RE: Legein interesting... sent home to start his workout program eh? lol

For all the talk about Legein having an attitude problem in Syracuse earlier this year when he went up after the OHL playoffs? I'm not seeing it. He's been working hard and paying attention to the coaches, seems to be getting on pretty well with the various guys at the camp, and he's been going out after practice ends and doing some work on his own or with the other players / Tyler Wright pretty consistently each day. He hasn't complained about doing cleanup of pucks and sticks after practice, either.

I'm wondering if getting sent home from Syracuse while they were still in the playoff hunt got the message through to him that he needed to get his act together and put a lid on the attitude with his teammates.

billedog
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I found this comment by a poster RE: Legein interesting... sent home to start his workout program eh? lol

See this is what I mean about people stating thoughts and opinions as fact, and how it can become "truth".

Sorry...but Lege was not sent home. And just to be clear, thats not a thought or an opinion. THAT is a FACT!

ItsGameTime
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
See this is what I mean about people stating thoughts and opinions as fact, and how it can become "truth".

Sorry...but Lege was not sent home. And just to be clear, thats not a thought or an opinion. THAT is a FACT!

That was someone from Columbus saying that. I hardly think that was brought on from what was said here.

Swifty14
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Well since billedog knows all and everyone else is just speculating, why don't you tell us the real reason he was sent home, please? Be very careful about your response because there are some people with much tighter conections to the Crunch than you. Alpha Dog please leave this thread here. I am not being vicious in any way at all. I am simply tired of hearing that we all know nothing and everything is wrong(not fact, just opininion, rumors). Well here is your opportunity Bille, take the floor my friend. I would like to know why he didn't stick in Syracuse, I would also like to know why Brownie had him pack his equipment up and come to his office after practice at the end of the season?. Could you also confirm with me if Dham and Lege got into it after the fifth game in the Shwa.

Much appreciated and I am looking forward to you enlightening me on all these questions so we can put the rumors to rest once and for all.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Casey
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Yikes! Dahm is against Unice... thats hard. I LOVE Dahm in between the pipes, and I want nothing more than to see him succeed in the NHL

I also have a lot of faith in Unice. Watching him play from the beginning of last season, I was unsure as to why Kitchener even bothered trading for Mason.

ItsGameTime
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Dahm let in 2 goals in a 5-0 loss to Team Red today at the Chicago Blackhawks prospect camp.

Brennan Turner and Adam Berti got the goals on him.

Josh Unice and Joe Fallon combined for the shutout.

The three goalies for team white were: Joe Palmer, Sebastian Dahm and Antti Neimi.

From the looks of it Dahm didn't get too much time in net.

here's the link to the story, it only mentions Dahm in the boxscore at the bottom of the article.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368021

Casey
07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Thats a shame

But thanks for the update

Joel
07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
That was someone from Columbus saying that. I hardly think that was brought on from what was said here.

i thought all the headlines said "Legein leaves Crunch to start off-season training early"
i could be wrong :S

ItsGameTime
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
i thought all the headlines said "Legein leaves Crunch to start off-season training early"
i could be wrong :S

I'm not saying that didn't happen, I just noticed someone mention Legein's attitude that follows the Blue Jackets more closely than anyone here so I thought it was interesting. I know what the "public" was told.

Regardless, it's good to see he's doing well at his prospect camp!

billedog
07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Well since billedog knows all and everyone else is just speculating, why don't you tell us the real reason he was sent home, please? Be very careful about your response because there are some people with much tighter conections to the Crunch than you. Alpha Dog please leave this thread here. I am not being vicious in any way at all. I am simply tired of hearing that we all know nothing and everything is wrong(not fact, just opininion, rumors). Well here is your opportunity Bille, take the floor my friend. I would like to know why he didn't stick in Syracuse, I would also like to know why Brownie had him pack his equipment up and come to his office after practice at the end of the season?. Could you also confirm with me if Dham and Lege got into it after the fifth game in the Shwa.

Much appreciated and I am looking forward to you enlightening me on all these questions so we can put the rumors to rest once and for all.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Why don't you tell us the real reason he was sent home,

Was not sent home...

Be very careful about your response because there are some people with much tighter conections to the Crunch than you.

I have no affiliation to the Crunch

I am simply tired of hearing that we all know nothing and everything is wrong(not fact, just opininion, rumors).

At no point have I said that "we" all know nothing. I have only ever cautioned that what fans, no matter how close they think they are to the action, don't always have all the facts. How many times have folks taken what has been said and run with it to the point of someones interpretation becomes fact for the masses to read and also relay. The reason I caution this is because this is the first step in making the jump to the big leagues for these KIDS. In the big leagues they have PR reps that help them handle the negative feedbakc and press. I'm not saying htat anyone should not call a bad play a bad play...and this applies to every player...I defend Lege because he seems to be the target of most of the RUMORS. He's higher profile and a character and subject to misinterpretation

If he floats and plays like crap...IMO...then I'm gonna state it. But what IMO is beyond discussion is talk of what took place in the dressing room, or what dialog toook place between Brownie and whoever... Too much is left to assumption and interpretation and can often times be way off base...but then someone takes what they beleive to be God Forsaken truth and share it in a public forum...welll...guess what...as far as the readers are concerned it becomes just that and the rumor then spreads..

I'm not saying that everything is rumor about him, but just liek in most "news" people harp on the negative and forget that its a kid we are talking about here. There is no one on the team that is equipped to help these kids handle the new found pressure, visibility, and negative press.

They just move to a new town and play the game they love and behave like the kids they are. They are growing and maturing and some make poor choices, and regret them.

ALL I have ever suggested is that before we decide to relay something as fact...let us be sure that we know for sure that what we are saying is indeed fact and not fact as told to us by someones brother...thats called rumor and these kids are ill prepared to handle it and certainly cannot defend themselves from it. It can be truly demoralising to these kids to look up into the stands in a crowd that they have thought was on their side and wonder..."is this the guy that has been saying that I am a virus on the team?" These kids take this stuff VERY personnaly

I can't be there to fend off all of the negative press that my son may receive, but he also doesn't get the ice time...and therefore doesn't have the negativity that some of these kids get. Doesn't matter who my kid is so don't bother asking.

I would also like to know why Brownie had him pack his equipment up and come to his office after practice at the end of the season?.

that, my friend, never happened. Something went down and it was not Legein who was overridden..I'll not elaborate any further ecause I don't see how negative discussion on this particular topic is beneficial to anyone.

Could you also confirm with me if Dham and Lege got into it after the fifth game in the Shwa.

It is my understanding that Yes they did...but again...how is this discussion worthy. I think we'd be hard pressed to find a group of 16 -21 year olds where there aren't going to be personality conflicts.

At no point have my posts ever been intended to offend...and I sincerely apologise if they have. In all sincerity, all I have tried to do is thwart the rumor mill and remind us all that these are just kids that we as a hockey community have embraced, and they read these threads...I have only wanted to caution that we be sure before we relay something that could impact one of our own in a negative way.

CHeers ol pal.
Enjoy your day

billedog
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm not saying that didn't happen, I just noticed someone mention Legein's attitude that follows the Blue Jackets more closely than anyone here so I thought it was interesting. I know what the "public" was told.

Regardless, it's good to see he's doing well at his prospect camp!

My comment was only to make a point out of what the rumor mill can start...certainly not to disrespect you at all IGT. This is not what the public was informed of...it was relayed as a possible reason for his departure on the crunch forum...

ItsGameTime
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Good post, billedog. The only thing I want to say about this is that I don't see Legein as the type of person that is going to care at all about what any of us on the forum say about him. For the most part, all of the discussion on Legein here has been positive, no one is going to go through there life without people questioning this or that and as young adults they realize this. Legein is a talented athlete that maybe hasn't been given a fair shake in some situations but in the end he is playing a game that he loves and we need to respect that gift. I for one, would love to see him in Columbus next season. I don't think anyone here is rooting against anyone on the team to succeed. We are merely discussing certain happenings with the team. Yes, some of the discussions have been unwarranted or unimportant but that's what you get on a public forum and we do our best to keep the discussion insightful, helpful, tasteful, etc. by getting rid of those posts.

theradioguy
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
the hawks finally have their development camp roster up
dahm is one of five goalies including sparkplug Josh Unice
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/2008prospectscamproster.htm
camp started July 7 and ends July 11

legein is also at jackets camp this week (no shock there)

wish foreman has gotten invited to one.. (cant find it if he did)

Wolves Fans are going to love this post ! http://sudburyhockey.com

ItsGameTime
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Sebastian Dahm let in 3 goals for team white in the first period as the White team lost again 5-4. Josh Unice let in 2 goals as well in the first period for team Red.

Article (Dahm only mentioned in the boxscore at the end again)

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368113

ItsGameTime
07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I added Schiestel to this thread because he was at the Sabres prospect camp last week. From the comments I saw about the camp Schiestel was alright but didn't really stand out. He will be a big part of the Ice Dogs this season so I look for him to improve leaps and bounds. The Sabres have yet to sign Schiestel to an entry-level contract so this will be a big year for him. Since he will be 20 come next June, if he isn't signed then he will go back into the draft and if hes not drafted he becomes a free agent.

I.L.L.
07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I added Schiestel to this thread because he was at the Sabres prospect camp last week. From the comments I saw about the camp Schiestel was alright but didn't really stand out. He will be a big part of the Ice Dogs this season so I look for him to improve leaps and bounds. The Sabres have yet to sign Schiestel to an entry-level contract so this will be a big year for him. Since he will be 20 come next June, if he isn't signed then he will go back into the draft and if hes not drafted he becomes a free agent.

I agree...Drew will play a big role this season. Looking forward to seeing him develop even further.

IceDogs5
07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
It will definitely be nice to see how Schiestel handles the added responsbility (I assume anyways) on the blue line. Playing the season after you've been drafted must be extremely difficult - I'm no expert on this stuff by any means - but the expectations of the teams that drafted the player must weigh heavily on their minds. Guess it depends on the kid though.

myleslong
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I attended the Sabres prospect camp(scrimmage sessions were open to the public) at the Dwyer Arena, Niagara University, Lewiston,NY. While your sources are correct, in that Schiestel did not stand out, neither did he look out of place. Expecting any of the attendees, including Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera, to stand out is a tall order.many of the boys hadn't been on skates since season end. Drew was paired with Mike Kostka,a 22 yr.old from Ajax,via UMass. They made a nice D combo.
I agree that we should expect big things from Schiestel with the IceDogs this year.He is fully aware of the situation. Don't expect the Sabres to let him slip away. Another year in the O will most likely result in an entry level contract-first year in the A,then a real assessment at that time of his NHL potential.I think that will be the pivotal point in his career.
As far as the IceDogs are concerned,let's just hope Drew continues to stay healthy.If so, I see big things for him this season. GO DOGS!

ItsGameTime
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I attended the Sabres prospect camp(scrimmage sessions were open to the public) at the Dwyer Arena, Niagara University, Lewiston,NY. While your sources are correct, in that Schiestel did not stand out, neither did he look out of place. Expecting any of the attendees, including Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera, to stand out is a tall order.many of the boys hadn't been on skates since season end. Drew was paired with Mike Kostka,a 22 yr.old from Ajax,via UMass. They made a nice D combo.
I agree that we should expect big things from Schiestel with the IceDogs this year.He is fully aware of the situation. Don't expect the Sabres to let him slip away. Another year in the O will most likely result in an entry level contract-first year in the A,then a real assessment at that time of his NHL potential.I think that will be the pivotal point in his career.
As far as the IceDogs are concerned,let's just hope Drew continues to stay healthy.If so, I see big things for him this season. GO DOGS!

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a bad thing. I expect a lot out of Drew this season and I'm sure he expects a lot out of himself so it will be fun to watch him!

Kadaitcha Man
07-10-2008, 10:45 PM
From http://www.sabresprospects.com/

" At one point, Schiestel and Kostka were paired together and made clean breakouts on successive shifts. Kostka was very smooth throughout the day with good decisions and a crisp first pass, while Schiestel showed hints of a physical game in the corners and behind his net."

"In early 1-1's, Marek Zagrapan and Drew Schiestel had a good battle in front of Adam Dennis. Schiestel was focused on locking up Zagrapan's stick, while Zags bumped for position.

Schiestel keeps impressing with his skating. He plays a solid positional style in his own end, and we're liking his smarts and overall make-up more and more. His puck carrying skills are excellent, so all you really need to see next season in St. Catharines is general consistency while using any added strength to hold his positional ground."

"Blueliners T.J. Brennan (93), Drew Schiestel (88), Mike Kotska (88), and Alex Biega (87) clocked in with the fastest slappers. We knew that Brennan and Biega could bring the heat, while the howitzers of Schiestel and Kostka were a pleasant surprise. Biega also flicked the quickest backhander (49 MPH)."

"When they where aloud to skate into the shot with more strides ala NHL rule Schiestel cranked one at 91 mph and then not to be outdone Brennan hit one at an outstanding 95 mph."

[/URL]
https://www.blogger.com/img/b16-rounded.gif [URL="http://www.blogger.com/profile/09588607108427153679"]Kris Baker (http://www.blogger.com/profile/09588607108427153679) said... Yes, I caught those as well. I knew Drew could punch it, but I didn't know he could smoke it like that. Very impressive.

joe
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM

Good post. I tried to say that at the end of the year about some guys coming back for another year and how that would help them so much further down the road, but words were taken out of context and it turned ugly. I really think that Schiestel is gonna have a really big year. Him being one year older, and knowing where his game will need to be spells a successful year for him. Put all that along side Petro, makes for probably the most dominant duo in the league if paired together.

We have some guys that did get called up at the end of last year and are totally capable of playing at the next level, but if they ended up back in Niagara for one more year of junior it's not a disappointment at all. Those teams have agendas for these players and want to make sure they bring their young guys up through the system properly. Chances are they are out of Niagara, but like I said if they were sent down it's not a major set back.

ItsGameTime
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Dahm let in 4 goals during his time in net as White beat Red 5-4 in today's scrimmage. (Dahm was on the winning team but let in all his team's goals)

Josh Unice let in 4 goals including white's game winner.

Article:
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=368184

habsfan
07-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Simply by looking at the goals against, it seems that Mr. Dahm is having a tough camp... That is very unfortunate; I was hoping he would stand out and maybe get an offer from someone to play in North America.

ItsGameTime
07-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Simply by looking at the goals against, it seems that Mr. Dahm is having a tough camp... That is very unfortunate; I was hoping he would stand out and maybe get an offer from someone to play in North America.
Yeah its hard to get in a groove when you know you are only playing 1 to 1.5 periods a game...

ItsGameTime
07-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Dahm let in another 3 goals in the final scrimmage

this was a comment on a blackhawks board re: Dahm

Dahm looked well... lets just say I hope he enjoyed a few days as a pro... his D looked bad in front of him at times which didn't help him! Goalies... Dahm again clearly not as good as the others, but the D seemed to give him poorer support as well... he looked better in the 2nd than the first though
Sebastian Dahm, 21, OHL, undrafted invitee: Gave up two very weak goals then made some huge saves. Super quick athletic kid, a lot of uneeded movement and with a good glove. Has the skills to play AAA IMO and would love to see this kid at AA with some good coaching, as I believe he is every bit as athletic as Unice but his game needs refinement.

It looks like he was promising and with some professional coaching could be back at a prospect camp next year.

ItsGameTime
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Apparently Dahm and Akim Aliu had some words as well during camp... lol

As the teams were shaking hands at the end of the game Aliu and Dahm the goalie had a few words as they passed each other. I missed what Dahm said but Aliu followed it with a "Yeah well I was +1 against you". Neither seemed to be joking around and Aliu was giving him a pretty nasty glare.

Aliu did look much better today than Tuesday and he shrugged of the aformentioned RK crew when we were buggin him to score with about 45 seconds left... and it did look like if he and Dahm were alone there may have been a 3rd fight!

AlphaDog
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Hehe, well as long as Dahm keeps his cool. I think he plays best when he's mentally collected and having fun.

Casey
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Brutal... That that Akim Aliu is bad news

Swifty14
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh silly Akim shouldn't you be naked locked in a bathroom on a motor coach, or having your grill broken by Downie. Still have some props for the kid, learning to skate at 12 and being where he is, pretty impressive, but man can you get along with anyone?