PDA

View Full Version : Niagara IceDogs -> NHL

AlphaDog
06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
We need somebody to keep track of a list of all the Niagara IceDogs who have graduated to the NHL (or at least a farm team). Note that this is how they've moved up into the NHL/AHL *since* the team's relocation to Niagara. Am I missing anyone?

Year / Player / NHL team / descrip.

2007 / Corrente / NJ / Played pre-season NHL games with Devils, signed with NJ
2007 / Foreman / Edmonton / invited to NHL camp
2008 / Legein / Columbus / given contract, played in playoffs for AHL team
2008 / Caputi / Pittsburg / played in playoffs for AHL team, signed with Pittsburg
2008 / Swift / NJ / signed with NJ
2008 / Dahm / Chicago / invited to Blackhawsk Prospect Development Camp (as a free agent)
2008 / Pietrangelo / St. Louis / drafted 4th overall

.. I really wish we could create tables in msgs to display stuff like this better...

Kevy
06-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Don't forget about the "Where Are They Now?" thread that I created a while back for the former Dogs that played before they reloacted

ItsGameTime
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Corrente was drafted in 2006, Schiestel was 2007, Legein was 2007, Caputi was 2007 and Dahm is at the Blackhawks Prospect Development camp as a Free Agent, its not just a rookie goalie camp. The camp starts on July 6

billedog
06-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Should include signings as well... Corrente, Caputi, Swift, and Legein have all signed contracts...correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats accurate

I.L.L.
06-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Should include signings as well... Corrente, Caputi, Swift, and Legein have all signed contracts...correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats accurate

Yep that's accurate!

AlphaDog
06-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Corrente was drafted in 2006, Schiestel was 2007, Legein was 2007, Caputi was 2007

Try but.... they weren't Niagara Icedogs back then :P

I'm going to hopefully get a list going that just follows their Niagara IceDog and post-OHL movement.

and Dahm is at the Blackhawks Prospect Development camp as a Free Agent, its not just a rookie goalie camp. The camp starts on July 6

Thanks! Item corrected.

AlphaDog
06-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Nice! I didn't know Corrente and Swift had already signed pro contracts. List updated.

Casey
06-30-2008, 04:12 AM
I wish all the boys luck, and I really hope I'll get to see Dahm next year =D

ItsGameTime
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Here is a table I did up. Includes Drafted players, Free Agents and Draft Eligible coming up this season...

This is very preliminary, once we know the roster this season I can then update it...

hugefan14
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
thanks.. this was very helpful...look forward to the updates as the season progresses.

61jr
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Looks like Fletcher was invited to the Bruins rookie camp.

Was Foreman invited to any training camps or did he sign anywhere?

Anyone have any news on Dahm recently?

ItsGameTime
08-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks like Fletcher was invited to the Bruins rookie camp.

Was Foreman invited to any training camps or did he sign anywhere?

Anyone have any news on Dahm recently?

where did you see fletcher went to the bruins camp?

and Dahm didn't have a very good showing in Chicago, I haven't heard anything since

AlphaDog
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Yah that's too bad about Dahm. I was hoping he'd blow everyone's socks off and make it to the team. He certainly has the talent to do it when he's on his game.

61jr: I haven't heard much about Foreman, but last year he had an invite to Edmonton's camp.

61jr
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I read it on Fletcher's facebook page, lol. On the main page, it showed up as a friend of mine wrote congratulations on his wall, so I checked it out to see what it was fore.

AlphaDog
08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks. If Fletch said it himself, I guess I can post it on the home page :D

ItsGameTime
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
It can't be the Bruins rookie camp because they have already had it...

http://bruins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367086

SmokinPuck
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
The NHL teams have a prospect/rookie camp in July. These are their draftees. Then uasually one week before the main camp they have a rookie camp, this is a compiled list of what they need for their main roster for the season. This can be AHL/ECHL affiliate prospects, draftees that impressed them in July and free agents. Guys that have a good showing at this camp get offered to stay for the main camp.

I have a friend that knows J Gilbert. I heard that Fletch has been staying with him for over a month now training with physical/skating/fighting trainers. He has gotten bigger, stronger and faster and is really preparring for the upcoming season. Word is his agent was not happy with his training program in Michigan so he is now being trained by the people that know hockey.

61jr
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Maybe it's the actually training camp itself? I know in some sports the rookies report a few days before the veterans do, I'm not sure if it's the same in the NHL or not, and maybe that's what it means?

ItsGameTime
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
The NHL teams have a prospect/rookie camp in July. These are their draftees. Then uasually one week before the main camp they have a rookie camp, this is a compiled list of what they need for their main roster for the season. This can be AHL/ECHL affiliate prospects, draftees that impressed them in July and free agents. Guys that have a good showing at this camp get offered to stay for the main camp.

I have a friend that knows J Gilbert. I heard that Fletch has been staying with him for over a month now training with physical/skating/fighting trainers. He has gotten bigger, stronger and faster and is really preparring for the upcoming season. Word is his agent was not happy with his training program in Michigan so he is now being trained by the people that know hockey.

Thats cool, maybe that's what he is talking about, with that being said, some teams have more then just their draftees in the summer... for example, Chicago.

I.L.L.
08-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I know FOR A FACT that Fletch is training his ass off right now in Canada. I read on his FB as well that he is going to Bruins rookie camp in September. Good for him and good luck to him!!

ItsGameTime
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Well I've been doing some looking around and I'm still not sure what Bruins camp Fletcher says he's going to. I've asked people on a Bruins message board about prospect happenings in September and one moderator had this to say...

A prospect tournament in September seems very unlikely. The B's already had development camp, and in September prospects are with their respective teams, so most would not be availableThis leads me to believe that they would not have another rookie camp in September, seeing as they had one already in July, which I mentioned before.

ItsGameTime
08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
A new poster has tipped off some info and apparently there is a Prospect Tournament in Connecticut in early September involving the Bruins. This is probably what Fletch is going to...

The tournament *is* happening. I was tipped off on it by an NHL source who was hoping I would be able to attend.

What I know: It involves the Bruins and Islanders, possibly the Rangers and Devils too, and will be held in Connecticut in early Sep. No exact dates.

Should be fun!

IceDogs5
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Congrats to Fletcher - and good luck!

ItsGameTime
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
What I am hearing now is that it is going to be 1 game. Bruins rookies versus Islander rookies.

franchise9
08-22-2008, 12:26 AM
rookies report to camp earlier than vets

ashley
08-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Scott is was invirted to BostonBruins NHL rookie camp and is going on sptember 15th!!!! 5:10pm

on August 7th he wrote this on his facebook page...
so i guess only time will tell.. good for him tho- he deserves it!

MadMann
08-23-2008, 05:38 PM
maybe he wrote that right after a concussion ? I dont doubt hes going, and I wish him good luck.

SmokinPuck
08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Confirmed thru a good source that Fletch is reporting to Bruin's main camp 9/15 (only one of two free agents invited). Word is he is trying out as a Dman and they like him alot. It will be interesting to see if they sign him and where they want him to develop. Options are open, but he could sign and come back for another year in OHL. This must have Ice Dogs a little nervous, as they have invited another enforcer to the camp just in case he doesn't return.

AlphaDog
08-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Confirmed thru a good source that Fletch is reporting to Bruin's main camp 9/15 (only one of two free agents invited). Word is he is trying out as a Dman and they like him alot. It will be interesting to see if they sign him and where they want him to develop. Options are open, but he could sign and come back for another year in OHL. This must have Ice Dogs a little nervous, as they have invited another enforcer to the camp just in case he doesn't return.

I think the need for an enforcer is even more important in the OHL than the pro leagues. You've got kids that haven't quite got a grasp on how to handle their anger, taking runs at people until they get kicked out. I mean look at that game 4 in Mississauga last year.

Hopefully DeSousa will be able to get a handle on that Rinaldo pest this year :boxing_smiley: But if Fletch ends up going, Neuber, Stevens, and the rest of 'em are gonna have their way on the ice this year.

B-Rad
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
As has been widely reported, Merrett is going to the Jackets camp, and Day to the Leafs camp

skatee
09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
still dont understand day to the leafs camp
he is consistent... but I just don't see him at that calibre

franchise9
09-01-2008, 09:12 PM
the best way to measure a d-mans calibre is going by +/- Dayzer is a ohl career + 56 to me thats good he was number 3 in the league last year to me those are fantastic numbers his only bad year was his first full year in the league

Romes
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Plus minus is the most ridiculous stat when youre judging a player's calibre. It is a stat that NEVER will be used when looking at a player from an evaluation standpoint. Scouts look at size, skating, handling, how you get rid of the puck when under pressure, and your ability to make a good first pass out of the zone as a D man. Not plus minus. Heavens.

franchise9
09-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Romes just curious your bashing the +/- stat yet you didnt mention a stat theyd look at just skills, +/- is one of the hardest stats to build

joe
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I would have to agree with romes. It is not the most useful stat.

AlphaDog
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Plus minus is the most ridiculous stat when youre judging a player's calibre. It is a stat that NEVER will be used when looking at a player from an evaluation standpoint. Scouts look at size, skating, handling, how you get rid of the puck when under pressure, and your ability to make a good first pass out of the zone as a D man. Not plus minus. Heavens.

Dmen don't really have a single stat that shows their ability, but +/- is probably the best - but it's still not good. +/- for anyone never shows too much about that single player - it reflects his entire line vs. the lines they end up getting matched up against. Just like a goalie's win/loss - has nothing to do with the single goalie, it's totally dependant on the rest of the team as well. And a defenceman on a line with some hot forwards and a hot goalie will obviously have a better +/- no matter how bad the defenceman plays. I think if I were looking at how to rate a defenceman I'd look at shots blocked, hits, size/physical-presence, then of course the stuff you can't list like passing ability, defensive awareness, etc... but +/- only tells you how good one line is compared to the lines they play against in the league (and how good the guy between your pipes is too).

skatee
09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
i think who you play with on D can also make a difference.

joe
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
i think who you play with on D can also make a difference.

Most definitely and not only on the defensive end. AD also made a comment about who is up front too.

AlphaDog
09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Most definitely and not only on the defensive end. AD also made a comment about who is up front too.

Hehe, when your forwards score 5 goals it doesn't look so bad on the +/- if your line also let in 4 goals :p

joe
09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Hehe, when your forwards score 5 goals it doesn't look so bad on the +/- if your line also let in 4 goals :p

Hence, romes was correct. It does not indicate the calibre of a player.

MadMann
09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
You can normally only judge a player on his + - when the team is a contender. If you have a well rounded team then you wont find a line that scores 5 goals to every 4 they let in. + - only gets buggered up when you need a D man to cover and he plays on more lines than he should be. So hes playing on the number one line when they score the goals that keep them in the game and hes also on the ice when hes trying to cover for line mates. So basically you have to factor in ice time minutes. Average minutes with a good + - is good. Average + - with alot of minutes doesnt mean crap.

Phil Margonis
09-02-2008, 09:12 AM

lol i agree fully.

i remember Chris Drury sayin he got like 7 minuses one season on empty net goals against alone. he's out there when his team is behind and needs a goal and gets a minus of the other team hits the empty net

SmokinPuck
09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I totally agree, +/- is a carryover from way back. That's why scouts attend the games and watch for themselves. Issue here, a good player could have a high minus rating because his pairing is always with someone substandard or vice versa. Case in point on the other end, Day is a good Dman, his + rating is very high, however it's helped by the fact he has a good Dman partner (Petro) and he played in coordination with the top scoring line for most of last season. Other players were more mixed with their matchups and that makes it tougher to adjust to. I love the fact that everybody seems to have their opinions as to whether a player is good enough for the next level, reality is, none of us know for sure. All players develop at different rates, what's good at draft age might not continue and what's not good at draft age might be great in another 2 to 5 years. I can't even count the cases of drafted players that played great through their junior careers and then fall apart at the next level.

Cold Pooch
09-02-2008, 06:06 PM

+/- is one of the most important stats, just look at when they are interviewing NHL player's as they have this stat beside their names.

Scout's love the plus minus thing.

As for Day I wish him all the best at his camp. Everybody here should wish him luck and hopes he shows well because this will show well for the Dogs.:thumbup:

He has been a great team guy and a steady player for this Ice Dogs team.

skatee
09-03-2008, 12:26 AM
with all this talk of Day and +/-.. here is a lil article in standard

http://stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1182258'
New Day dawns for IceDog
Posted By Jim Wallace
Posted 17 mins ago
Josh Day is the type of defenceman who is almost invisible on the ice.
He goes about performing his duties, taking care of things in his own end and, if the situation is right, will sometimes jump into the offence.
Not flashy, not vocal and, most times, barely noticeable, just as the soft-spoken rearguard is off the ice.
Day makes it clear it’s defence first and he’s justifiably proud of his plus-minus rating — third overall in the league last season at plus-36 and a comparable plus-30 his last season.
It’s obvious somebody has taken notice of the numbers, however. Pegged to grab one of the team’s three overage spots, the St. John’s, Nfld., native will head to Kitchener in 10 days to take part in a four-team NHL rookie tournament, suiting up for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I found out in July and since then, I’ve really been excited an looking towards that,” the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder said. “I want to make something out of that. Hopefully, something will work out after rookie camp.”
For Day, it’s a natural match. As a native Newfoundlander, he grew up watching the Leaf’s AHL farm team in St. John’s.
“I always used to go to the St. John’s Maple Leafs games,” he said. “We had season’s tickets, so I went with my dad and they were always my favourite team.
“The chance to play for the Marlies is almost the same thing — they were the Maple Leafs, so if I make the Marlies, that will be good.”
It’s almost like training camp all over again. Show up in shape and you have a couple of days to make an impression, although he’ll be in the same boat as many other players — get noticed or be cut.
“I leave Sept. 11, we practise the 12th and we have games for a couple of days,” he said of the rookie tournament. “Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Florida will be there.
Continued After Advertisement Below

“I’ll be playing against (former teammate Luca) Caputi and that should be a good experience. I just have to go in and work as hard as I can, and hope something will come out of it.”
There is a bit of a history between Day and the Marlies brass. Day was coached by Marlies coach Greg Gilbert in Mississauga, so the AHL coach knows something about the IceDogs defenceman.
“He has a good deal of respect for what (Day) brings to the game,” IceDogs general manager Dave Brown said.
“He keeps it simple. If you want a guy who’s going to rush up and down the ice and lead rushes and that sort of thing, that’s not Josh Day.
“If you’re looking for a guy who’s just going to go out there and play defence.… Far too often, guys get lost in the numbers.”
Over the past two season, Day is a plus-66. By comparison, last season in Niagara, he had four goals and 36 points; the previous season, three goals and 29 points. His plus-66 is one point better than his points total of 65.
“Yet I hear guys say, ‘What does he do?’ ” Brown said. “He’s plus-66 And if you take away the power-play points that don’t count in the plus-minus, it’s even more of a gap.
“You know he’s not going to cost you on the ice. He’s a big rig who skates well, weighs 200 pounds and plus-66. How do you raise the bar for him?”
Maybe work on the offence just a bit, and Day is doing his part in that.
“I worked hard last year and worked more on my defence, but I had a few more points, getting my offence up, which really helps,” he said. “Every year, I’ve gotten a bit better offensively.
“I still concentrate most on the defensive part of my game, but offence is a bigger part of my game now. I pick my spots and go when the opportunity is there.”
If and when he returns to the IceDogs, he doesn’t feel he has a spot locked up (as an overage player, he can be signed to an AHL contract because he wasn’t drafted).
“We’re still in a battle — we have five overagers here and only three spots,” Day said. “Whoever they feel right for the team will be here; there’s nothing etched in stone.
“I’m hoping if it doesn’t work out with the Leafs camp, I’ll be back here.”
Odds are, with his type of numbers, don’t bet on him not being back — if everything adds up for the Leafs.
Dog biscuits: The IceDogs have trimmed their training camp roster to 31 players — still the most in the league, Brown said.… With school starting yesterday and one week of camp down, the IceDogs have gone to 2:30 p.m. training sessions at Jack Gatecliff Arena.

Standing Room Only
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
lol i agree fully.

i remember Chris Drury sayin he got like 7 minuses one season on empty net goals against alone. he's out there when his team is behind and needs a goal and gets a minus of the other team hits the empty net

Het PM i don't believe plus/minus count on open nets, PP or the PK

franchise9
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
empty net goals count im sure, if your team scores shorthanded the plus counts, if your team gets scored on on the powerplay you get the minus

Cold Pooch
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Het PM i don't believe plus/minus count on open nets, PP or the PK

Playing with any man advantage or disadvantage does not count for +/-, however in the case of having pulled your goalie. If you score when you have the man advantage by pulling your goalie you do not get credited with the plus, but if the other team scores on your MT they do not get credited with the plus, but you get the minus. ;)

franchise9
09-03-2008, 09:23 PM
this is the nhl definition of plus/minus

Question: What is the "plus-minus" statistic and how is it calculated?
Answer: When an even-strength or shorthanded goal is scored, every player on the ice for the team scoring the goal is credited with a "plus." Every player on the ice for the team scored against gets a "minus." A player's overall total is calculated by subtracting the minuses from the pluses. A high plus total is taken to mean that a guy is a good defensive player.
Power play goals are not used in calculating plus-minus.

Phil Margonis
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
so you do get minus' for an empty netter. it' s stupid stat in general. sometimes it fits the player sometimes not.

guys that play defensive roles may only be even in the plus/minus but if their role is to shut down the oppositions best line then Even isn't bad

61jr
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
An empty net goal definately counts towards the plus/minus because it is an even strength goal. Both teams have a total of six players on the ice.

dogpound
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Im glad swift got a signed contract he was huge for us last year and deserves a spot despite his size:hurray: