PDA

View Full Version : Dahm sign with Alaska Aces

habsfan
10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Nice little write-up on Dahm...

Aces sign goalie with eyes on prize

DAHM: Denmark native hopes to repeat success from last season's playoff run.
By DOYLE WOODY (Anchorage Daily News)

Published: September 30th, 2009 10:38 PM
Last Modified: September 30th, 2009 10:45 PM
Incoming Alaska Aces goaltender Sebastian Dahm knows all about Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, the guy who backstopped the club to the ECHL's Kelly Cup Finals last season and set the bar high for masked men who follow.
http://media.adn.com/smedia/2009/09/30/22/Dahm_aces.31123.original.thumb.prod_affiliate.7.jpg (http://www.adn.com/cgi-bin/apps/assetDisplay/?ref=http://media.adn.com/smedia/2009/09/30/22/Dahm_aces.31123.original.graphic_large.prod_affiliate.7.jpg&summ=Sebastian Dahm&sec=475&width=161&height=245)Click to enlarge

Sebastian Dahm

Dahm (pronounced Dam), a 22-year-old from Denmark by way of junior hockey in Sweden, major- junior hockey in Ontario and one season in the American Hockey League, knows Lamoureux parlayed his All-ECHL rookie season into an NHL contract with the Buffalo Sabres.
And come to think of it, Dahm sounds a lot like Lamoureux -- driven to succeed.
"J.P.'s contract cemented the idea that here, things can work out for you like that,'' Dahm said. "I'm here to develop and I'm here to become a better goalie.
"The intent I had when I signed is to play a lot of games and be the starting goalie, and like J.P., make a run deep into the playoffs.''
The Aces on Wednesday announced Dahm's arrival from the Peoria Rivermen, their AHL affiliate.
The club also announced the arrival of five others from Peoria: NHL-contracted defenseman Alexander Hellstrom, who played briefly for Alaska last season; NHL-contracted forward Tomas Kana, a second-round draft pick who bagged 20 points and a plus-14 rating in 30 games for the Aces last season; rookie forward Jack Combs, who racked 74 goals in his last two seasons in the Ontario Hockey League; rookie forward Chris Morehouse, small and tenacious with some scoring touch; and rookie forward Patrick Brosnihan, who last season completed his college career at Yale.
That brings to 23 the numbers of players the Aces have announced for training camp, which opens Friday. The club today is expected to announce a few more guys and also release its training camp schedule.
Dahm put up strong numbers last season for the AHL Syracuse, which did not qualify for the Calder Cup playoffs. He went 10-11-0 with a 2.66 goals-against average and .914 save percentage. He ended the season particularly strong, going 5-5-0 in February with a 2.33 goals against and .926 save percentage.
Dahm also played one game in the World Championships in the spring, stopping 33 shots in Demark's 5-1 loss to Finland, which featured several NHL players.
<SCRIPT><!--if(miyahoo.ads[mi_live_or_preview].yahoo.enabled){yld_mgr.place_ad_here("slot_4");}--></SCRIPT><!-- SpaceID=2022776014 loc=LREC noad -->http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=eadc8be8-aec1-11de-a4c4-cb4f8dd0b636&T=19brhtl9v%2fX%3d1254425876%2fE%3d2022776014%2fR%3dncsprthk%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_US%2fF%3d419139403%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMzM2IiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSJlYWRjOGJlOC1hZWMxLTExZGUtYTRjNC1jYjRmOGRkMGI2MzYiIHNpdGVJZD0iMTcxNzU1MSIgdFN0bXA9IjEyNTQ0MjU4NzU5OTMyNTMiIHRhcmdldD0iX3RvcCIg%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d908D0D4C&U=12823vu0m%2fN%3drnxABEwNjVQ-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d-1%2fV%3d4<!--flv has invalid value--><!--cCat has invalid value--><!--cCat has invalid value--><!---->
Dahm left his hometown of Copenhagen at 16 and played two seasons of junior hockey in Sweden. He followed that with three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League, one of three Canadian-based major-junior leagues that develop abundant NHL talent.
"If you want to get noticed, it's not in Denmark,'' Dahm said. "Scouts just aren't there.''
Dahm, who went undrafted and had a one-year deal in Syracuse, said his agent persuaded him that Alaska presented a good option for his development.
"My agent said Alaska is one of the best places, if not the best place, to play in the ECHL,'' Dahm said.
Naturally, Dahm would like to duplicate Lamoureux's success, but he said the comparison stops at sweater numbers. Lamoureux wore No. 1.
"I'm not going to take No. 1, either,'' Dahm said with a laugh. "I've always been No. 29, so hopefully I'll get that.''

Shuffling the deck
The Aces have announced dates and times for their first two training-camp practices at Ben Boeke Arena -- 2-4 p.m. Friday and 3-5 p.m. Saturday.
Admission is free and open to the public.

B-Rad
10-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Looks like he'll meet up with his old buddy Jordan Foreman. Way to go Dammer. Hopefully this works well for him

three dog night
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I wish him the best of luck in Alaska I understand they get great fan support up their has well