11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Shaw rounding into usual offensive self

Sophomore IceDog finds scoring touch

Posted By BERNIE PUCHALSKI, Standard Staff

Posted 15 hours ago

<table style=""> <tbody><tr> <td style="width: 521px;">
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Second-year Niagara IceDogs forward Andrew Shaw is one of the hottest offensive players on the team.
After managing just a single assist in his team's first nine games, the 19-year-old Belleville native has a goal and eight assists in the last nine games, picking up points in all but two.
"I'm getting a little more ice time and the team is starting to click a lot better, so those are probably the reason why," the 5-foot-11, 175-pounder said.
The former 11th-round pick said a nagging injury that has now healed is also a factor in his resurgence.
"It's not there any more, so I'm just playing aggressive like I used to, and it's working," he said.
Shaw is back to his aggressive self, but he's not dropping the gloves and fighting nowhere near as much as he did last season.
"I don't need to be doing that as much as I did last year, but if our team needs it, I definitely will."
The decision to fight less was a joint one between Shaw and the coaching staff.
"That's not really my role this year. I'm playing a little more of an offensive role and being in the box wouldn't help that."
Niagara hosts Mississauga Thursday (7:30 p.m.), is at Erie Friday before hosting Erie Saturday (7 p.m.)
H1N1 UPDATE
Like the rest of Niagara's population deemed not at risk, members of the Niagara IceDogs are awaiting their H1N1 flu shots.
Once its available, the shot will be offered to those who want it, but it won't be mandatory, Niagara athletic therapist Pete Dobbin said.
In the meantime, steps the team has taken include getting the players a prescription for Tamiflu, which can help reduce the risk of getting the flu when exposed to it; players have individual water bottles and towels; trainer Garry Buxton has been flushing the dressing room with ozone daily; there's hand sanitizers located throughout the dressing room; the dressing room is disinfected daily; water cups are used only once and players have undergone educations sessions about the flu.
No one on the IceDogs has caught the flu yet, Dobbin said. Anyone who is ill with a cough, running nose or fever is checked out by a doctor before being allowed to return to the team.
PETRO UPDATE PART DEUX
Not even the St. Louis Blues are sure what to do with top draft pick Alex Pietrangelo.
"We're still playing him and no decision has been made," Blues general manager Larry Pleau said. "He has played fine."
Pleau also isn't sure whether Pietrangelo will play 10 games for the Blues this season.
"There's no long-term game plan and in this situation, it's hard to have one. You have to take it one game at a time, and we've had some injuries which has affected that."
In five games, Pietrangelo has one goal, six penalty minutes and has a -6 plus/minus rating, the worst on the team.
Pleau says Pietrangelo is a much-improved player compared to last season.
"I think he's stronger physically and he has more confidence. Going back last year did help him, and when you add in those three areas when you're 19, it should make you a better player and I think it has."
ICEDOGS THIS WEEK
MISSISSAUGA THURSDAY
Mississauga St. Michael's Majors: third in Eastern Conference with 12-4-0-0 record, including 8-2 in last 10 games.
Local content: None.
Leading scorers: Devante Smith-Pelly 9-8-17; William Wallen 8-8-16; Casey Cizikas 6-9-15; Cameron Gaunce 2-11-13.
Top goalie: Chris Carozzi, 7-2-0, 0.933 save percentage; 1.81 goals against average.
NHL picks: C Cizikas, fourth round, 92nd overall by New York Islanders in 2009; D Gaunce, second round, 50th overall by Colorado in 2008; D Brett Flemming, fifth round, 145th overall by Washington Capitals in 2009; D Tim Billingsley, second round, 189th overall by Phoenix in 2008; G Carozzi, sixth round, 154th overall by Atlanta in 2008.
Previous meetings: lost 4-2 to Niagara Oct. 1; beat Niagara 4-0 Oct. 16.
Top IceDogs vs. Mississauga: Alex Friesen 2-2-4; Chris DeSousa 1-2-3; Andrew Agozzino 1-0-1
Top Majors vs. Niagara: Jordan Mayer 2-1-3; Cizikas and Gaunce 1-2-3; Wallen 0-2-2.
AT ERIE FRIDAY
Erie Otters: 10th in Western Conference with 5-9-2-1, including 3-6-1-0 in last 10 games.
Local content: Grimsby's Mitch Gaulton; former Thorold Blackhawk Paul Cianfrini; former St. Catharines Falcon Matt Paton.
Leading scorers: Anthony Luciani 12-6-18; Andrew Yogan 7-9-16; Zach Torquato 6-9-15.
Top goalie: Shane Owen, 3-6-2, 4.31 GAA, .880 save percentage.
NHL picks: C Torquato, sixth-round, 178th overall by Detroit in 2007; D Gaulton, sixth round, 171st overall by New York Rangers in 2008; D David Shields, sixth round, 168th overall by St. Louis in 2009.
Previous meetings: beat Niagara 3-2 Oct. 23.
Top IceDogs vs. Erie: Andrew Agozzino 1-1-2; Freddie Hamilton 1-0-1.
Top Otters vs. Niagara: David Broll 1-0-1; Matthew Paton 1-0-1; Torquato 1-0-1.
PRO DOGS?
Following is a list of Niagara IceDogs who have moved on to pro careers (Stats listed games played, goals, assists and total points):
NHL
Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues: 5-1-0-1-6.
AHL
Luca Caputi, SWB Penguins: 10-4-2-6-23.
Michael Swift: Lowell Devils: 7-1-2-3-10.
Matt Corrente, Lowell Devils: 11-1-5-6-15.
Stefan Legein: Adirondack Phantoms: 4-1-0-1-5.
Drew Schiestel, Portland Pirates: 8-0-1-1-4.
ECHL
Sebastian Dahm, Alaska Aces: 3-2-0. 2.82 GAA, .907.
Scott Fletcher, Reading Royals: 6-1-0-1-17.
with files from Bill Potrecz

three dog night
11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice to see Andrew coming into form one of my favourite Icedogs players nice to see the update on former icedogs in the pro leaugues

jblayze
11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
That really showed in tonights game vs Miss.

He did all the work for the game winner in OT.

Fresien just had to tap er in.

Shaw is the man.

61jr
11-05-2009, 11:36 PM
So that's now 10 points in 10 games (and a point every game he's been on the second line), not to mention a plus three tonight.

three dog night
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Shaw is back let hope the Icedogs go on a nice wining streak