PDA

View Full Version : Westhead(Chartrand): $12M lawsuit brings concussion battle to Canadian junior hockey

hockey123
10-20-2014, 02:46 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/westhead-12m-lawsuit-brings-concussion-battle-to-canadian-junior-hockey-1.111239

PuckerMan
10-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Another former Icedog.

PeskyDog87
10-20-2014, 04:23 PM
One of the nicest kids I've ever known. Glad he's standing up for himself and sports-related brain injuries.

three dog night
10-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Other comments not so kind about him http://www.tsn.ca/talent/westhead-12m-lawsuit-brings-concussion-battle-to-canadian-junior-hockey-1.111239

hockey123
10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Apparently he didn't feel $50 a week and a half a years tuition wasn't enough compensation for 8 games of terrible hockey? Didn't he whine his way off the Falcons and quit Thorold shortly after? He claims a shoulder injury forced him to retire, but is playing Juvenile now according to his Twitter.

dogs77
10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
So a kid that was only good enough to at 8 games in the OHL is filing a lawsuit for being underpaid... Does this seem like a cop out to anyone else.. There are many more players that have had some serious injuries and that have played many more games and you don't see them crying about it

PuckerMan
10-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Dave Branch will be on the Fan590 just after 6, to talk about these lawsuits.

Alpha 1
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM
You guys are aware the he played more than 8 games in the OHL. How quick we forget that when Vis was at the world juniors, it was Chartrand that held the fort for us. He started in Niagara, got traded to Barrie, and played for Sudbury. He did play for a few years in the O. The facts, he was in a horrific car accident, and 10 days later Barrie has cleared him to play. This lawsuit has nothing to do with a shoulder injury. Shortly after playing again, he was hit in the head and suffered a sever concussion that he is still suffering today. Now keep in mind, the car accident required the jaws of life to extract an unconscious Chartrand from the car. Barrie had no business rushing his return to hockey. Could David had said something, sure, but I am sure the prospect of losing the starting job scared him enough to accept their request to play. His future has been dramatically altered. So before you bash the kid and his familty, please get your facts.

hockey123
10-27-2014, 03:10 PM
You guys are aware the he played more than 8 games in the OHL. How quick we forget that when Vis was at the world juniors, it was Chartrand that held the fort for us. He started in Niagara, got traded to Barrie, and played for Sudbury. He did play for a few years in the O. The facts, he was in a horrific car accident, and 10 days later Barrie has cleared him to play. This lawsuit has nothing to do with a shoulder injury. Shortly after playing again, he was hit in the head and suffered a sever concussion that he is still suffering today. Now keep in mind, the car accident required the jaws of life to extract an unconscious Chartrand from the car. Barrie had no business rushing his return to hockey. Could David had said something, sure, but I am sure the prospect of losing the starting job scared him enough to accept their request to play. His future has been dramatically altered. So before you bash the kid and his familty, please get your facts.

Berg, not Chartrand.

123 G!
10-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Yes. We're talking about Berg.

fishfan51
10-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Chartrand never played for Sudbury. He continued to play in the OHL the following year and then moved on to University hockey. Now all of a sudden he deserves 12 million from the Colts? If he still has symptoms, why did he play for Belleville and Nipissing after Barrie? And why is he not sueing them if they let him play while he still suffering from symptoms today?

Alpha 1
10-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Chartrand never played for Sudbury. He continued to play in the OHL the following year and then moved on to University hockey. Now all of a sudden he deserves 12 million from the Colts? If he still has symptoms, why did he play for Belleville and Nipissing after Barrie? And why is he not sueing them if they let him play while he still suffering from symptoms today?

I never said he deserved 12 million. All I said was he played more than 8 games and it was a shoulder injury. Do I think he deserves 12, no. Is there some responsibility on the part of the Colts, YES. Again, fishfan does not read people's quotes, and jumps on them as if he is king of junior hockey. As for Sudbury, they owned his rights, in a trade with Belleville. Please see the attached from the Sudbury Star:

With the acquisition of Chartrand, the Wolves have bolstered their stable of goaltenders

AlphaDog
10-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I thought this was a class action suit? If so, no one person is going to get $12M.

fishfan51
10-29-2014, 09:22 PM
I never said he deserved 12 million. All I said was he played more than 8 games and it was a shoulder injury. Do I think he deserves 12, no. Is there some responsibility on the part of the Colts, YES. Again, fishfan does not read people's quotes, and jumps on them as if he is king of junior hockey. As for Sudbury, they owned his rights, in a trade with Belleville. Please see the attached from the Sudbury Star:

With the acquisition of Chartrand, the Wolves have bolstered their stable of goaltenders

I read your post... your words "He started in Niagara, got traded to Barrie and played for Sudbury". The point was since he never "played" for Sudbury they wouldn't have been accountable for clearing him to play. Maybe, you should re-read your own posts before accusing others of not reading it. I wasn't "jumping" on your post, I was correcting it. If you "read" my post you'll see I was asking why he hasn't filed charges against the other teams he's played for since the accident? He must have been cleared by them as well and if he's still suffering from symptoms today, they should be held accountable as well. No?

I don't claim to have a crown when it comes to my junior hockey knowledge, but if getting the facts right insults you... that's your problem.

fishfan51
10-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I thought this was a class action suit? If so, no one person is going to get $12M.

No, Bergs lawsuit against the OHL is a class action suit. The Chartrands claim against the Colts isn't a class action suit. (At least from what I have read).

From TSN...

Chartrand's allegations have not been proven in court.

According to Chartrand's lawsuit, which also names Colts owner Howie Campbell and head coach Dale Hawerchuk as defendants.

AlphaDog
10-30-2014, 06:11 AM
No, Bergs lawsuit against the OHL is a class action suit. The Chartrands claim against the Colts isn't a class action suit. (At least from what I have read).

From TSN...

Chartrand's allegations have not been proven in court.

According to Chartrand's lawsuit, which also names Colts owner Howie Campbell and head coach Dale Hawerchuk as defendants.

AAah ok.. I haven't been following it. (haven't been reading all the links posted). THanks.

three dog night
10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
He will not win this suit since he kept playing without any complaints.