Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !

Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! (http://forum.icedogfans.com/index.php)
-   Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News (http://forum.icedogfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Silent Sam (http://forum.icedogfans.com/showthread.php?t=11372)

NiceDawg 08-31-2022 02:57 PM

Silent Sam

Well now that the trade has been announced, we can stop waiting for Silent Sam to report, reply or even acknowledge the IceDogs exist. If ever there was a candidate to be booed, he takes the cake (even above fan anti-favorite Lessio). It sounds like even his representative wasn't returning IceDog calls, which is beyond unprofessional.

I get it with that caliber of player, he has options - US, NCAA, other OHL, and the IceDogs were a chocolate mess at the end of last season, but staying Silent has to be a new low point.

Dogs Enthusiast 104 08-31-2022 06:29 PM

Boatload of picks

Quote:

On Wednesday, the IceDogs announced they have traded Sam Dickinson to the Knights for draft picks.

London will send Niagara seven draft picks in all: 2023, third round, North Bay Battalion; fifth round, London; 2024, second round, London; 2025, second round, London; third round, London; 2026, second round, London; third round, London.
https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...n-knights.html

Dogs Enthusiast 104 08-31-2022 06:50 PM

a little more from the Standard article:

Quote:

IceDogs owner-general manager Darren DeDobbelaer said the team had been looking forward to adding Dickinson to its blueline corps heading into the 2022-23 season.

“We had no intentions of trading Sam Dickinson when we drafted him, he was the best player available,” DeDobbelaer said. “We were unable to secure a meeting with his representation and family to convince him to report to camp.

“After an aggressive offer by London, we thought this was the best move for our organization moving forward and in the years to come.”
Certainly was aggressive. Hope it bites them in the ass this time.

NiceDawg 08-31-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 (Post 138884)
a little more from the Standard article:

Certainly was aggressive. Hope it bites them in the ass this time.

I keep hoping every year...

DJBrooks 09-01-2022 10:54 AM

I mean.....the IceDogs got Aiden Castle under the same circumstances. It works both ways.

NiceDawg 09-01-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBrooks (Post 138890)
I mean.....the IceDogs got Aiden Castle under the same circumstances. It works both ways.

The whole deal with Castle was MUCH more elegant. There seemed to be good communication between the player and both teams. The suspicious part of me believes this was a payback for the Tomassino / Thomas trade. You can't actually trade a first round pick but you can act surprised when a first round pick defects.

I don't think Silent Sam's situation was similar.

DJBrooks 09-01-2022 11:24 AM

I mean......they knew when they drafted him he wasn't coming. It was communicated very well beforehand despite what the press releases say.

NiceDawg 09-01-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBrooks (Post 138893)
I mean......they knew when they drafted him he wasn't coming. It was communicated very well beforehand despite what the press releases say.

Unlike Silent Sam who said nothing, did as he pleased, and went about his day as if Niagara didn't exist. By saying Silent Sam, I am not dumping on a 16 year old completely, but more like the adults around him like his agent for instance. It would have taken a second to draft a release saying:

"Sam is honored to be drafted so high in the OHL Priority Selection and thanks the Niagara IceDogs for their confidence in his abilities. At this time, he is considering all of the options available to him and will make the best possible choice in conjunction with his family".

DJBrooks 09-01-2022 11:46 AM

What I am saying is Sam Dickenson and his representatives made it very clear to Niagara that he wasn't coming before they drafted him.

He was silent to the fans, sure.....but the organization knew when he was drafted he wasnt coming to Niagara.

Dawger 09-01-2022 12:36 PM

if it’s true that we knew he wouldn’t report then good on ice dogs management at the time. We now have 2 first rounders for next year and have restored the draft cupboard. Had we passed on him London, no doubt, would have grabbed him in the later rounds and “convinced” him to play in the OHL without losing the picks!…I can’t stand the London antics and although I hate to dump on a 16yr old, I kind of hope he stinks the building out (probably won’t-too talented).