Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !

Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! (http://forum.icedogfans.com/index.php)
-   Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News (http://forum.icedogfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Niagara IceDogs 2019-20 (Week 21) (http://forum.icedogfans.com/showthread.php?t=11162)

NiceDawg 02-03-2020 07:51 PM

Niagara IceDogs 2019-20 (Week 21)

http://forum.icedogfans.com/picture....&pictureid=719

The Niagara IceDogs remain in eighth place spot in the East. The team has 39 points and a 0.406 win record. Niagara’s scoring leaders are still Lodnia (22-29), Castleman (20-29) and Butler (15-10). MacLean is Niagara’s top goalie with a 3.81GAA and 0.877SA%. Four games this week, going to be some tired puppies when the weekend arrives.

The gap to 9th place is currently at 5 points.

Blacksox 02-04-2020 08:52 AM

A tough week ahead but I guess all weeks are going to look tough.

But every time a young talented players steps on the ice whether it is a game or practice they are learning and getting better. Regardless, if you beat Mississauga 5-3, lose a close one to the CHL’s number one team or get thumped by Barrie 8-2 you are learning. Everyone of those situations is an opportunities to develop into a better more experienced player.

All our core 02s and 03s have shown levels of improvement – Enright, Chanton, Cato, Uberti, Peters, Butler, Agositenelli, Snow, Sims - despite the losses are making positive strides forward, that will be more noticeable next year and even more so the year after the next.

Those who have coached or played competitive youth sports (age 9-19) know that even a one year age difference is extremely significant. Junior hockey is one of the only “youth” sports where the players in the league can have an age range as wide 5 years (Rookie 16 – OA 21).

You will always have extraordinarily talented player excel in any situation at any age, but those players are more the exception, than the norm. Players require time to fully mature physically, mentally and emotionally. In junior hockey, as in youth sports, it takes time and patience to develop into the player he will ultimately become.

GDG

Dogs Enthusiast 104 02-04-2020 06:01 PM

Gonna skip the game tonight. Bad memories and a losing streak.

Be back on Thursday.

strohs 02-04-2020 07:01 PM

I will consider a loss tonight by five or less goals a win for the Dogs ...

Bleak crowd here tonight ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strohs 02-04-2020 07:19 PM

Well if we keep this pace up

The shots for the game tonight could be 80-0

Lol

NiceDawg 02-04-2020 07:50 PM

I think there was an issue with the shot counter on that end of the rink. Not that they missed lots, but the arena maintenance staff were adjusting something.

strohs 02-04-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 132260)
I think there was an issue with the shot counter on that end of the rink. Not that they missed lots, but the arena maintenance staff were adjusting something.

I don’t think so Mr Burke ...

NiceDawg 02-04-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohs (Post 132259)
Well if we keep this pace up

The shots for the game tonight could be 80-0

Lol

I don't think so Mr. Hunter :laugh:

RobDog 02-04-2020 08:57 PM

Hey guys,

Not there tonight...did they bring Tucker in to do the Puck Drop ?

strohs 02-04-2020 09:07 PM

It takes a direct pass from an opposing player for Jonah de Simone to score lol

No tucker in the building

strohs 02-04-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohs (Post 132258)
I will consider a loss tonight by five or less goals a win for the Dogs ...

Bleak crowd here tonight ....

WE WIN!!!!

NiceDawg 02-04-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strohs (Post 132265)
WE WIN!!!!

I will only consider it a win when the shots on net are within 10... 48-24 is bleak

bulldog 02-04-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 132260)

It was the goal light.

Blacksox 02-05-2020 08:01 AM

The loss to London was expected but…

1. the left hook by Cam Butler that knocked Regula on his can was sweet.
2. the play of our 16 year old D against a group of high-flying forwards was positive. A few miscues but that’s expected. Enright handled the puck with confidence. Cato was solid – played physical, finished his checks and moved the puck quickly and accurately.
3. the PP is lacking the offensive talent to be dangerous but at least have Beraldo and Butler switch sides so they can be on their off wings.
4. As a forward, Elijah Roberts’ speed drew two penalties and fired 3 SOG - not effective at the dot, but when Peters returns play Roberts on his LW.
5. DeSimone has struggled, but that was his best all-around game this year. Perhaps, gaining some confidence to build off?
6. Sbrags :cheers2:

retired/sectionJ 02-05-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksox (Post 132268)
The loss to London was expected but…

1. the left hook by Cam Butler that knocked Regula on his can was sweet.
2. the play of our 16 year old D against a group of high-flying forwards was positive. A few miscues but that’s expected. Enright handled the puck with confidence. Cato was solid – played physical, finished his checks and moved the puck quickly and accurately.
3. the PP is lacking the offensive talent to be dangerous but at least have Beraldo and Butler switch sides so they can be on their off wings.
4. As a forward, Elijah Roberts’ speed drew two penalties and fired 3 SOG - not effective at the dot, but when Peters returns play Roberts on his LW.
5. DeSimone has struggled, but that was his best all-around game this year. Perhaps, gaining some confidence to build off?
6. Sbrags :cheers2:

I liked Butler on his arrival here even though McTavish was the player I wanted, but acceptance, for me is important.
I now like him even more now after the tussle with Regula. :clapclap:

Blacksox 02-05-2020 10:43 AM

https://www.bpsportsniagara.com/toug...t-for-icedogs/

Roberts had no reservations when IceDogs coach Billy Burke approached him with the idea. “We were short some guys and me and Burke (and I) talked a little bit and gave it a try. I ended up scoring two goals and thought I did pretty well. I decided to stick with it and I’m pretty excited.”

IceDogs assistant coach Mark Mancari feels Roberts has all the tools to make a successful switch to centre. “He’s an older guy, he’s been around the league, he’s a great skater and he can read the play in all aspects,” Mancari said. “Four of our D are rookies so it was something we were comfortable with. He was very open to it and willing to do it and I think he’s done a great job.”

Roberts isn’t sure how long the experiment will last. “I’m just having some fun with it,” he said. “We’ll see. Just focusing game by game going into Owen Sound and after that, we’ll move forward.”

Post-Game Media Availability with Assistant Coach Mark Mancari

retired/sectionJ 02-05-2020 09:30 PM

Not sure where to put this thought so.
Kingston beat the Petes 4-3 tonight and are now 3 points back and one game in hand

Thunder Hawk 02-06-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ (Post 132273)
Not sure where to put this thought so.
Kingston beat the Petes 4-3 tonight and are now 3 points back and one game in hand

..A rested Kingston team plays a tired North Bay team at home on Friday night (North Bay in Peterborough tonight) .....Kingston will catch Niagara. Drafting 2nd\3rd overall plus a high import pick and not being humiliated by Ottawa in the playoffs is fine with me.

NiceDawg 02-06-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk (Post 132275)
..A rested Kingston team plays a tired North Bay team at home on Friday night (North Bay in Peterborough tonight) .....Kingston will catch Niagara. Drafting 2nd\3rd overall plus a high import pick and not being humiliated by Ottawa in the playoffs is fine with me.

I guess it's no secret with my "sinking ship", "tank", and "submarine" motifs where I think the team is heading. The secret for Niagara (or any team) is to draft well, train well, and plan well. I am confident they have been drafting extremely well, but developing and training talent on-ice still seems to be lacking. Buying "Super Sam" was an exercise in poor planning, but selling off talent this year (even though it hurts), shows that they are committed to longer range goals. When the team learns how to acquire, retain and enhance their players, they don't have to buy as much as they did in the past. I am cautiously optimistic on the drafting and planning part but I see the same mistakes year after year with the systems that are being implemented and the assignments that are given to players.

strohs 02-06-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk (Post 132275)

Sign me up!

slamr 02-06-2020 02:45 PM

Interesting....I assume if you all were Kingston fans you would be getting pretty pissed at them for trying so hard. :laugh:

NiceDawg 02-06-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamr (Post 132278)
Interesting....I assume if you all were Kingston fans you would be getting pretty pissed at them for trying so hard. :laugh:

Niagara fans cheered their team to a couple of first round exits and consoled themselves that they had preserved a playoff streak :weird:

the dog 02-06-2020 08:29 PM

Wow this team is bad

NiceDawg 02-06-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dog (Post 132280)
Wow this team is bad

My friend strohs just pointed out that at the end of the second Owen Sound has 7 goals and Niagara has 7 shots on net. We'll call it a draw.

strohs 02-06-2020 08:48 PM

After two periods we have a tie game here in St Catharines

Owen Sound 7 (goals)
Icedogs 7 (shots)

That is quite simply the worst hockey game I have ever witnessed in person in my life ... think the owner will fire the coach ? LMFAO

I?ve never left a game after two periods before tonight

And to think next year may be worse .....

Looking forward to seeing what the homers say on the radio during the third period

the dog 02-06-2020 09:08 PM

Should get a refund for this game

strohs 02-06-2020 09:11 PM

Another one

Ding

Another one

Ding

Oh I?m
Home now lol

the dog 02-06-2020 09:13 PM

You can tell that we're aiming for 2nd overall pick

Blacksox 02-06-2020 09:23 PM

Ted Nolan looking to coach in the OHL again?

strohs 02-06-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dog (Post 132285)
You can tell that we're aiming for 2nd overall pick

Actually I don?t agree with you

I bet Billy would want nothing more than to make the playoffs so he could say I made the playoffs even in a rebuilding year ...

This is Billy?s best coaching effort he?s putting forward with no talent on the roster ... IMO the players have tuned him out and want nothing more than a quick end to the season

What an absolute disgrace

Owen Sound only had 13 more points I think then the dogs didnheading into this game

This team was unprepared and put forth absolutely zero effort ... they were thoroughly dominated ALL OVER the rink ...I?m beginning to wonder if MacLean is OHL quality goalie ... I know the team is terrible in front of him but he allows a lot of goals that quite frankly should be stopped at this level...

To those who want to make the playoffs lol ... u really want to pay higher ticket prices for two games to see them get absolutely smoked!?

What a gong show made only worse by the ?coach? behind the bench ....

If the coach was not related to the owner he would so easily be fired after the end of the season ...

I?m all for rebuilding growing pains but at least give me an effort on the ice and a coach with brains .... there was neither in Attendance tonight

canucks4 02-06-2020 09:49 PM

I get that we have a young team with 6 rookies - but what happened to Castleman, Bruder, Doherty, Roberts, Theriault - veterans who have played 3-4 years in this league - where's their skills these days??

TwoPadStack 02-06-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 132281)
My friend strohs just pointed out that at the end of the second Owen Sound has 7 goals and Niagara has 7 shots on net. We'll call it a draw.

Strohs forgot to do up his chin strap when he won the ipad on ice a few weeks ago, so he's not blame free in this

NiceDawg 02-06-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucks4 (Post 132288)
I get that we have a young team with 6 rookies - but what happened to Castleman, Bruder, Doherty, Roberts, Theriault - veterans who have played 3-4 years in this league - where's their skills these days??

Spread out on different lines, playing different positions, and unsupported by anyone.

the dog 02-06-2020 10:17 PM

Can't pass or shoot......

TwoPadStack 02-06-2020 10:18 PM

Also the pizza has been off for quite a while.

Blacksox 02-06-2020 10:24 PM

He’ll never be fired but there is no reason why he can’t do what’s best and step down to assume another position in the organization. Allow Joey to begin the process of finding a new coach.

#timeforchange

strohs 02-06-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksox (Post 132293)
He?ll never be fired but there is no reason why he can?t do what?s best and step down to assume another position in the organization. Allow Joey to begin the process of finding a new coach.

#timeforchange

Step down? Heck no he will get a promotion! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

retired/sectionJ 02-06-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksox (Post 132293)
He’ll never be fired but there is no reason why he can’t do what’s best and step down to assume another position in the organization. Allow Joey to begin the process of finding a new coach.

#timeforchange

Agree with you 150%,
Maybe it is time to clean house and find a new GM as well. He played a major role in the team being so pathetic because of the maybe ill advised all in mode last season.

dogged74 02-06-2020 10:50 PM

This is Year One of the rebuild. There are going to be, and have been, many painful losses this year. Just get this season over with. A season in which the Dogs stripped almost all of their top talent off the team to bottom out and rebuild. They stripped the team to replenish the team’s draft pick cupboard, which was completely bare after Burke emptied it to make an ill-advised playoff run.
After that failed, you had to know this was coming. What none of us saw coming was the near-fatal injury to Tucker Tynan which completely derailed the season, and all but guaranteed that the Dogs might as well set the charges and push the plunger down until the draft.
Forget this season. It is done, finished, junked. We are now Tank Nation. We have a good pile of draft picks ready to go. I don’t even follow the Dogs from game to game anymore this year. That’s not to even mention the sh—load of injuries the Dogs have suffered among the players they have left after the trades. They got a ton of draft picks back from trading Thomas and Tomasino. The IceDogs absolutely must make good on ALL OF THEM so that all this crap wasn’t for nothing.
I don’t know if there’s another McDavid or Byfield coming in the draft, and the Dogs will likely not end up with the first overall pick, but the first player the Dogs get at the Draft is the start, the foundation of everything that we’re going to see over the next four years.

strohs 02-07-2020 07:13 AM

I can?t blame the GM much ... you had to go all in last year (maybe should have with a different goalie!). What I can blame the GM for is not firing the coach lol

Yes we knew this season was going to be dreadful after the trade deadline ... I said that many times.

However, last night was a complete embarrassment. Coach BB had no answer to what the attack were doing. IMHO last night showed that he is completely out of his element when it comes to coaching ....

It also looked to me like they were playing without any effort ... you can not have talent fine but to not play with effort is inexcusable and again I think it falls on the coach ....

A change behind the bench is sorely needed but I?m sure we all know it?s not coming at least for the head coach ...

To be thoroughly thoroughly outplayed by a team with only 13 more points than you AT HOME is inexcusable .

And the fact that he left the goalie in there for the whole game .... well that also goes to show you that the coach is clueless...

Ps. I think we all can see now why Lodnia wanted no part of a trade ... he wants to get back to the AHL ASAP.