Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !

Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! (http://forum.icedogfans.com/index.php)
-   Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News (http://forum.icedogfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2018-2019 Season Post Mortem (http://forum.icedogfans.com/showthread.php?t=11021)

NiceDawg 04-16-2019 08:04 AM

2018-2019 Season Post Mortem

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XtVPbZwDE3g/hqdefault.jpg

Time of death, second round.

Let's get into it while the corpse is still room temperature. What went wrong? Were there signs? Was the team doomed from the start? Could anything have redeemed them? Are there lessons for next time?

NiceDawg 04-16-2019 08:33 AM

Now that strohs has stepped down from his role as President of the 2018-2019 Naysayers Club, there is a considerable amount to learn going forward.

1. DEFENSE FIRST

You can't outscore a leaky back end. Any year the IceDogs have come close they have had a stellar goaltender and a strong defensive core. Everyone loves to score goals (you get ice cream on the drive home, right?), but preventing goals from the other team is better. Defense wins championships.

2. DISCIPLINE

You can't wait until the final game to try and impose a discipline structure, it starts day one. As coaching staff, you can be friendly, but you can't be friends. There are expectations both on and off the ice and if players aren't meeting them, there needs to be consequences: miss a shift, miss a period, miss a game, miss you playing for the team. If you don't show up to train, or to practice, or behave in your off hours, you are also letting the team down.

3. SIZE, STRENGTH & CONDITIONING

Speed is dangerous and the new regime does not condone the wanton goon hockey that used to be the standard. That said, if your speedy forward is easily pushed away from the puck or dishes off for fear of taking a hit, you are just renting the puck until the next turn over. Not every player has to be built like a linebacker but you need a few of them to create time and space. Smaller, faster players need to build strength and tenacity and have enough wind to outlast a stronger opponent in the later stages of any given shift.

4. TEAM FIRST

A talented group of individuals will always lose out to a cohesive team. The "superstar" mentality creates a wedge against the unity of the entire group. Featuring one or two players as the lifeblood of the team fosters a notion that they are infallible: taking longer shifts, selfish penalties, expecting to be fed the puck rather than battling for it. This has a corresponding effect on the other "mere mortal players" in that they are never given the credit they deserve nor the expectation to succeed.

Blacksox 04-16-2019 01:47 PM

“It’s a huge disappointment and a huge failure”
By Bill Potrecz - April 16, 2019

https://www.bpsportsniagara.ca/its-a...-huge-failure/

Dogs Enthusiast 104 04-16-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 127121)

Not every player has to be built like a linebacker but you need a few of them to create time and space.

Yes a thousand times.

Why are we never the biggest team. I don't get it.

You don't need goons but a few inches and 20 pounds can make a huge difference in this league. You see it all the time at the MC when giant looking teams come to town.

Red 04-16-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 127121)
Now that strohs has stepped down from his role as President of the 2018-2019 Naysayers Club, there is a considerable amount to learn going forward.

1. DEFENSE FIRST

You can't outscore a leaky back end. Any year the IceDogs have come close they have had a stellar goaltender and a strong defensive core. Everyone loves to score goals (you get ice cream on the drive home, right?), but preventing goals from the other team is better. Defense wins championships.

2. DISCIPLINE

You can't wait until the final game to try and impose a discipline structure, it starts day one. As coaching staff, you can be friendly, but you can't be friends. There are expectations both on and off the ice and if players aren't meeting them, there needs to be consequences: miss a shift, miss a period, miss a game, miss you playing for the team. If you don't show up to train, or to practice, or behave in your off hours, you are also letting the team down.

Speed is dangerous and the new regime does not condone the wanton goon hockey that used to be the standard. That said, if your speedy forward is easily pushed away from the puck or dishes off for fear of taking a hit, you are just renting the puck until the next turn over. Not every player has to be built like a linebacker but you need a few of them to create time and space. Smaller, faster players need to build strength and tenacity and have enough wind to outlast a stronger opponent in the later stages of any given shift.

4. TEAM FIRST

A talented group of individuals will always lose out to a cohesive team. The "superstar" mentality creates a wedge against the unity of the entire group. Featuring one or two players as the lifeblood of the team fosters a notion that they are infallible: taking longer shifts, selfish penalties, expecting to be fed the puck rather than battling for it. This has a corresponding effect on the other "mere mortal players" in that they are never given the credit they deserve nor the expectation to succeed.

So riddle me this... if you know all this why doesn't Billy Burke? I mean I am assuming you aren't an OHL coach in your day job, just a hockey guy at heart like the rest of us. It seems clear what went wrong and I suspect you and Fish and Blackie all could have devised a better plan. So where was Jody Hull? Was he a hood ornament? Was he ignored? Have the Burke's reached out to you yet lol.

fishfan51 04-16-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 127172)
So riddle me this... if you know all this why doesn't Billy Burke? I mean I am assuming you aren't an OHL coach in your day job, just a hockey guy at heart like the rest of us. It seems clear what went wrong and I suspect you and Fish and Blackie all could have devised a better plan. So where was Jody Hull? Was he a hood ornament? Was he ignored? Have the Burke's reached out to you yet lol.

They’re not going to ask us, we have different last names. :D

Red 04-16-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfan51 (Post 127173)
They’re not going to ask us, we have different last names. :D

Would the three of you consider Fishy Burke, Dawgy Burke and Blacky Burke?

NiceDawg 04-16-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 127176)
Would the three of you consider Fishy Burke, Dawgy Burke and Blacky Burke?

Depends on the salary :p

Meowinawoofworld 04-16-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDawg (Post 127189)
Depends on the salary :p

Not sure about salary, but I'm pretty sure a BMW is involved in the compensation package.;)

three dog night 04-16-2019 11:34 PM

At least we didn’t blow a three game lead.