Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !

Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! (http://forum.icedogfans.com/index.php)
-   Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News (http://forum.icedogfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   IceDogs trade(insert SportsCentre alert sound here) (http://forum.icedogfans.com/showthread.php?t=11218)

dogged74 08-14-2020 04:47 PM

IceDogs trade(insert SportsCentre alert sound here)
 
The Niagara IceDogs have acquired 19-yr-old goaltender Daniel Murphy from the Erie Otters. .891 save%, 3.41 GAA., in 43 games last year for Erie. At 19 years old, a Tucker Tynan insurance policy, maybe? Erie being happy with only 5th and 6th rd. draft picks in return, Murph fits into the Ďsteady, experienced backupí role.
Not knowing much about the Dogsí goaltending depth chart, the role heíll fill is an absolute assumption by me. Having said that, welcome to the Dog house, Daniel! Happy to have ya!

Blacksox 08-14-2020 04:59 PM

I’ll repeat what I said before...What a horrible “waste of assets” trade this is! Wtf did they need OA goalie who is not really all that good! This is awful trade!

fishfan51 08-14-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogged74 (Post 134436)
The Niagara IceDogs have acquired 19-yr-old goaltender Daniel Murphy from the Erie Otters. .891 save%, 3.41 GAA., in 43 games last year for Erie. At 19 years old, a Tucker Tynan insurance policy, maybe? Erie being happy with only 5th and 6th rd. draft picks in return, Murph fits into the Ďsteady, experienced backupí role.
Not knowing much about the Dogsí goaltending depth chart, the role heíll fill is an absolute assumption by me. Having said that, welcome to the Dog house, Daniel! Happy to have ya!

It was a 3rd and a 6th. Head scratcher of a trade.

the dog 08-14-2020 05:30 PM

He not better than our 2 19.years goalies that we have..hate this trade

dogs777 08-14-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dog (Post 134439)
He not better than our 2 19.years goalies that we have..hate this trade

Iíd disagree on him not being better as for my feeling on the trade 🤷*♂️ Letís see what they do with the other goalies and OAs

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksox (Post 134437)
Iíll repeat what I said before...What a horrible ďwaste of assetsĒ trade this is! Wtf did they need OA goalie who is not really all that good! This is awful trade!

I disagree way better than Andrew Maclean .

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dog (Post 134439)
He not better than our 2 19.years goalies that we have..hate this trade

Yes he is far better

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogs777 (Post 134440)
Iíd disagree on him not being better as for my feeling on the trade 🤷*♂️ Letís see what they do with the other goalies and OAs

Maclean will be released if they havenít done it already.

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:20 PM

Interesting article about goalies stat https://sites.google.com/site/hockey...in-the-numbers

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:21 PM

Andrew Maclean https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...andrew-maclean

maddog 08-14-2020 06:26 PM

Are you kidding me Joey Burke.
Why in the world would you waste valuable assets in a not going for it year on an overage goalie who is subpar????
This move makes no sense to me at all😩:confused1:

dogs777 08-14-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three dog night (Post 134443)
Maclean will be released if they havenít done it already.

Not sure about that if they go with 3 goalies he could stay around and they move Sbaraglia

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog (Post 134447)
Are you kidding me Joey Burke.
Why in the world would you waste valuable assets in a not going for it year on an overage goalie who is subpar????
This move makes no sense to me at all😩:confused1:

He not sub par Erie fans say he a 1b to a 2a goaltender.

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogs777 (Post 134448)
Not sure about that if they go with 3 goalies he could stay around and they move Sbaraglia

I donít know have to check Sparaglia temper plus he is injury prone maybe it depends on Tynan recovery. But I hope it McLean they release.

three dog night 08-14-2020 06:42 PM

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/arti...ay-opportunity

maddog 08-14-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three dog night (Post 134449)
He not sub par Erie fans say he a 1b to a 2a goaltender.

No they don't, not from what I been reading.
Where you getting this BS from?

maddog 08-14-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three dog night (Post 134451)

So your point??
Last pick, 301 pick overall and you are bragging

three dog night 08-14-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog (Post 134452)
No they don't, not from what I been reading.
Where you getting this BS from?

From an Erie fans on the OHL fan forum. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...754115/page-23

three dog night 08-14-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog (Post 134453)
So your point??
Last pick, 301 pick overall and you are bragging

He worked hard and the Dogs could not beat him even when we had a decent team.

three dog night 08-14-2020 07:08 PM

https://niagaraicedogs.net/article/i...ange-for-picks

three dog night 08-14-2020 07:10 PM

Sux round pick on condition

Blacksox 08-14-2020 07:19 PM

IceDogs got ripped off big time. Murphy is barely worth a 6th never mind a 3rd. When you factor in the fact, he is an average OA ďgoalieĒ, Murphy is probably worth nothing (or an 8th rd) in my opinion. Very disappointed!

fishfan51 08-14-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by three dog night (Post 134442)
Yes he is far better

No he isn’t, they’re both below average OHL goalies. The Dogs gained nothing from this. They gave up assets for a back-up goalie that doesn’t improve the team.

Side note: Blacksox and I agree on something. Mark it on your calendars!

maddog 08-14-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfan51 (Post 134459)
No he isnít, theyíre both below average OHL goalies. The Dogs gained nothing from this. They gave up assets for a back-up goalie that doesnít improve the team.

Side note: Blacksox and I agree on something. Mark it on your calendars!

Fact of the matter is that you fishfan you very rarely say anything positive about the Icedogs, whereas blacksox posts many positive posts.
I read all posts everyday for many many years.

fishfan51 08-14-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog (Post 134460)
Fact of the matter is that you fishfan you very rarely say anything positive about the Icedogs, whereas blacksox posts many positive posts.
I read all posts everyday for many many years.

Right or wrong, I tell like I see it. I give credit when itís due, I criticize when itís due. You donít find fault in anything they do, you just drink the kool-aid. You just canít admit when the flavour is off.

Itís really quite simple. If you donít like my opinions.... donít read them.

Chipperdog 08-14-2020 09:57 PM

The only thing that makes sense about this trade is....it doesn't make sense...that seems to happen quite a bit...lol

Dogs Enthusiast 104 08-14-2020 10:31 PM

You have to figure there was a reason for this. We just don't know it yet.

dogged74 08-15-2020 08:41 AM

I assumed, when I saw this trade, that MacLean must have been released. The Dogs are certainly going the Ďquantity over qualityí route in net. Whenever I see a save percentage starting with an 8, I think, Ď well, he must not have played very many games..í
Iím not sure what to think yet about this trade, but Iíll reserve judgement for now.

AuldBone 08-15-2020 08:55 AM

A couple of thoughts...

Daniel Murphy was a bit of an IceDog killer for Erie.
Erie has been bad for a bit, so his #s don't really tell the story.
By all accounts he's a good, hardworking kid, who does things 'The Right Way'...
If play resumes in December, they are only playing 4 less games, and doing it in 2 fewer months.

I am betting he's here for 'mentorship' before he moves on to his USports career.
I also feel he's probably going to end up competing with MacLean for the 3rd goalie spot. As I feel they're going to carry 3 and do some sort of rotation on the theory that they don't want to over use any one particular goalie. I'll be more confident on this theory when we see a schedule, I'm betting that it's going to be a bit more compact than we are used to.

Or maybe they just wanted some veteran competition in camp and the conditional pick, is conditional on him making the team out of training camp.

Anyway, just some thoughts... This is a head scratcher to be sure. Maybe someone will have JB on a podcast or on the radio and hold his feet to the fire on this one... lol

Blacksox 08-15-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 (Post 134463)
You have to figure there was a reason for this. We just don't know it yet.

Reasons will be something along the lines of…experience, leadership, durability, mentorship, which is fine, in a year where they'll be playing 3 (or 4) games a week consistently.

I just don’t like the trade because Murphy burns an OA spot on a G and not a F - at the cost of a 6th round pick. I’m not going to even bother voicing my displeasure on trading a 3rd.

Anyways, the trade is done - and after a string of nice trades by Joey Burke this one is disheartening. However, as for myself, I’m done on this topic - movin on.

So it’s Murphy and Tynan as the goalie tandem for 20-21. Now, let’s see if the return for Sbaraglia puts a draft pick back into our account.




By chance, someone is looking for something that might be positive (coach Hartsburg discussing Murphy's play)...


***

retired/sectionJ 08-15-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuldBone (Post 134465)
A couple of thoughts...

Daniel Murphy was a bit of an IceDog killer for Erie.
Erie has been bad for a bit, so his #s don't really tell the story.
By all accounts he's a good, hardworking kid, who does things 'The Right Way'...
If play resumes in December, they are only playing 4 less games, and doing it in 2 fewer months.

I am betting he's here for 'mentorship' before he moves on to his USports career.
I also feel he's probably going to end up competing with MacLean for the 3rd goalie spot. As I feel they're going to carry 3 and do some sort of rotation on the theory that they don't want to over use any one particular goalie. I'll be more confident on this theory when we see a schedule, I'm betting that it's going to be a bit more compact than we are used to.

Or maybe they just wanted some veteran competition in camp and the conditional pick, is conditional on him making the team out of training camp.

Anyway, just some thoughts... This is a head scratcher to be sure. Maybe someone will have JB on a podcast or on the radio and hold his feet to the fire on this one... lol

I have to disagree with you on the MacLean competing for the 3rd goalie job.
Joey did not give up a 3rd round pick for someone that will fight it out for third goalie spot.
He will be Tynan's backup and if (I hope not) that Tynan is not the good old self, Then, he will be in the fight for Number spot

dogs777 08-15-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 (Post 134463)
You have to figure there was a reason for this. We just don't know it yet.

I just assumed the reason was they didnít like how McLean played last year they donít trust Sbaraglia to stay on the ice and Rosenzweig isnít ready

retired/sectionJ 08-15-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogs777 (Post 134468)
I just assumed the reason was they didnít like how McLean played last year they donít trust Sbaraglia to stay on the ice and Rosenzweig isnít ready

I believe this is what the scenario is. After Tynan, the waters get very muddy.

dogged74 08-16-2020 08:50 AM

I think that’s it, RSJ. Neither Swiggy or Sbrags are ready for full-time backup yet. Basically, the Dogs could just put ‘INSURANCE POLICY’ on the back of Murphy’s sweater. Tucker Tynan is the starter; he’s getting the lion’s share of the starts here. I think the Dogs are confident Tynan is fully recovered and ready to go. As for Andrew MacLean, I don’t think he’s an going to be part of the picture here. I’m sure he’ll come to camp, but the fact that the Dogs even went out and acquired Murphy says something about where MacLean is on the depth chart, if in fact MacLean is on there at all. And I think the fact that the Dogs see Murphy as an ‘IceDog killer’ factors in, too.

strohs 08-16-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfan51 (Post 134459)
No he isn?t, they?re both below average OHL goalies. The Dogs gained nothing from this. They gave up assets for a back-up goalie that doesn?t improve the team.

Side note: Blacksox and I agree on something. Mark it on your calendars!


Wow totally shocking that Blacksox also poo pooed this trade. When I saw this trade in the paper I absolutely couldn?t understand WTF JB was thinking .... mind boggling dumb trade ....

Grade - G-


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g_squad 08-16-2020 08:10 PM

So which OAs are out now? We have Bruder, Beraldo, Theriault, Doherty and now Murphy. Have to think Murphy is safe since they just went out and traded for him. Not that any of them are fantastic, but I'm going to go with Bruder and Theriault. Both are 4th line material and easily replaced with rookies. Beraldo could provide a stabilizing influence on the back end and Doherty is versatile.

5 for fighting 08-16-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_squad (Post 134491)
So which OAs are out now? We have Bruder, Beraldo, Theriault, Doherty and now Murphy. Have to think Murphy is safe since they just went out and traded for him. Not that any of them are fantastic, but I'm going to go with Bruder and Theriault. Both are 4th line material and easily replaced with rookies. Beraldo could provide a stabilizing influence on the back end and Doherty is versatile.

Bruder had more goals and points than Doherty despite the fact that Doherty played on the top 2 lines for the first half of the season. I donít see them keeping Doherty over Bruder.

I think that unless someone doesnít want to return, itís Murphy, Beraldo and Bruder. (assuming there is even a season)

dogs777 08-16-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_squad (Post 134491)
So which OAs are out now? We have Bruder, Beraldo, Theriault, Doherty and now Murphy. Have to think Murphy is safe since they just went out and traded for him. Not that any of them are fantastic, but I'm going to go with Bruder and Theriault. Both are 4th line material and easily replaced with rookies. Beraldo could provide a stabilizing influence on the back end and Doherty is versatile.

If it was up to be Beraldo and Doherty would be staying around but in reality itíll be Beraldo and Bruder staying

dogs777 08-16-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 for fighting (Post 134492)
Bruder had more goals and points than Doherty despite the fact that Doherty played on the top 2 lines for the first half of the season. I donít see them keeping Doherty over Bruder.

I think that unless someone doesnít want to return, itís Murphy, Beraldo and Bruder. (assuming there is even a season)

If I remember correctly Bruder was up in the lineup a lot as well maybe not as much but quite a bit and yes he had more goals but not a lot more (1)

strohs 08-17-2020 08:19 AM

Bruder Beraldo and the head scratching addition Murphy.

Pretty sure the Dogs waived Doherty at one point last year and he went unclaimed ...

Bruder and Beraldo both quite a bit better than Theriault ...

Of course this changes if one of the above simply decides to move on ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) IceDogFans.com, 2007-2019