View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,312 Times in 725 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
My personal thought on looking at this team on paper at the beginning of the season was that we would be lucky to win 15, and would likely finish at the bottom of the league. Not because this is a small-ish team, not because this is a young, inexperienced team... But because this is a young, inexperienced, small-ish team. There is a lot working against these boys. What no one really expected was this would be a scrappy team, a lucky team, and a team with more heart than most of their opponents. And our schedule was front loaded with games at home. I am very interested to see how this team does vs some more top teams on the road. Top teams seem to bring out the best in these boys, which is heartening as a fan.

In my opinion, to say that they're not overachieving is naive at best, and at worst shows more than a little 'homerism'. Just because they've been lucky in past rebuilds is not something that can be applied to this team. Past Performance, does not guarantee future results. This is a team that was decimated after last season, the rookies/prospects of last season ( who got little to no useful development ) are being called on to be leaders within the team. The boys may not all 2000 born, but some of the boys who were 1999 born may as well be.

While having done very well for themselves this year, I'm pretty sure no one would have predicted Matt Philip to score 11 goals before his season was cut short. Castleman has scored 12, and could well reach high teens. Singer has 9 and is probably not done scoring. And I think it would have been lunacy for anyone to predict Akil Thomas creeping up on 20 with so much time left in the season.

In summation, this is not a team that should have won more than 13 - 15 games. They are small, inexperienced, and their talent ( and in many cases confidence ) is just 'Not There' yet. But it will be. This should be a tougher team to beat next year, because they are a tough team to beat this year. And they will get better the longer they are able to keep them together. But. All in all, they have overachieved. And I like it that way. Rather back a scrappy battler, than a bunch of spoiled brats who don't feel like giving 100%.

Just think how much better they would be if their atrocious power play wasn't so awful.

I was expecting a non playoff year this year. Simply too much turnover. Even Dhillon was not a sure thing. This team is a lot better than I was expecting. Also, how many one goal game losses do they have ?

Their record is bad, yes , and the east is bad, yes, IMHO they are playing better than their record shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk