Thread: Too Many Lines!
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too Many Lines!

In watching the '17 Stanley Cup playoffs, something occurs to me: man, there have been a crapload of offside calls in these playoffs. Many of the calls (and I'm not blaming the linesman - they have been accurate for the most part)have been either very close, like a razor-edge of difference, or correct.
Having said that, man, do offsides ever take away from the flow of the game. In October or April. I have heard that when the red line was introduced in 1947, the idea was to 'speed up the game'. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never thought that adding barriers that must be crossed would make the game faster. If anything, I can only imagine that it could only slow it down. Now, a few years ago, the NHL decided to remove the Centre red line insofar as to allow two-line passes.
Let me ask you, fellow fans: what would happen if the Red Line were re-instated, and the Blue Lines were removed? No offsides, no two-line passes. What do you think? Too radical? Too dangerous? Or perhaps would this be a change that would open up the game in a way that would create offensive opportunities that we haven't seen in a generation?