Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,786    Downloads: 1,727,374   Msgs Posted: 133,661   Thread Views: 29,471,025   Online Now: 102
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 AM
Big League

Thanked 1,000 Times in 653 Posts
dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Really on the tipping edge..

Here is a recurring thought Iíve had/canít seem to get away from:
As we know, this has been a very trying season, right from the point where Tucker Tynan was injured. One really would like to think that thatís not where the season ended, but it really was. Iíve said before that this is Year One of the rebuild, and thatís fine. But what is really troubling to me is that I really think that Tynanís injury really only exposed an underlying problem. And that is, that there were a lot of things going on at the time that masked the fact that Billy Burke is incompetent as a coach. It was in the Dogsí most recent postgame scrum that Billy Burke essentially admitted that he doesnít know what to do. Heís out of answers. And to me as a fan, thatí scares me to the core. Not because he doesnít know what heís doing, but because we know heís not going to step down at the end of this season. Heís not going to be fired, and Mum and Dad are not going to reassign him.
This is why, for good or bad, I cringed when Ted Dent bailed/was kicked out. Whatever his approach was, he was at least an outside voice. Some kind of dispassionate approach as opposed to the quartet of voices running the team who were all related. And when he left, thatís when I first thought, this team is in big trouble. And I think, over the time that Billy Burke has been coaching the team, my fears have been not only justified, but realized.
So, now what? We are in the middle of a completely lost and meaningless season. And normally, given the good job that Joey Burke has done as the GM with re-stocking what was an empty prospect cupboard, that would be OK. But I think weíve seen enough evidence to be able to conclude that not only does Billy Burke not have any flipping clue what heís doing, itís not going to matter what draft picks the Dogs have this Spring, this team is not going to get any better as long as Billyís coaching it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you (and others) are being overly harsh on the coaching.

We have a young team with very few standout players. In fact, just one standout player and he is been out of the lineup for two weeks ... or is it longer. However, no matter who is coaching, we would get crushed in many games. We merely lack the talent right now.

We traded away our entire first line! Then we were riddled with injuries.

I do agree the Tynan injury was a major turning point in the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,292 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
I think you (and others) are being overly harsh on the coaching.

We have a young team with very few standout players. In fact, just one standout player and he is been out of the lineup for two weeks ... or is it longer. However, no matter who is coaching, we would get crushed in many games. We merely lack the talent right now.

We traded away our entire first line! Then we were riddled with injuries.

I do agree the Tynan injury was a major turning point in the season.
I agree with you but, what really irks me is the way they play the game right now. There are two ways to lose a game and unfortunately they are choosing the worst way. Instead of working their tails off and playing the game the right way.

We agree that our remaining players are former 3rd and 4th line players and we should include the healthy scratched players too.

They are now being asked to play at the 1st and 2nd line level, which they are not capable of doing.
Still should play the game the right way.
That is what pisses me off about this team right now.. The lack of effort and caring by most of the players...
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I agree with you but, what really irks me is the way they play the game right now. There are two ways to lose a game and unfortunately they are choosing the worst way. Instead of working their tails off and playing the game the right way.

We agree that our remaining players are former 3rd and 4th line players and we should include the healthy scratched players too.

They are now being asked to play at the 1st and 2nd line level, which they are not capable of doing.
That is what pisses me off about this team right now.. The lack of effort and caring by most of the players...
Iím sorry but do you or anybody for that matter know for a FACT they arenít working their tails off? Maybe they just arenít good enough yet to play the ďright wayĒ game in game out
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,292 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I’m sorry but do you or anybody for that matter know for a FACT they aren’t working their tails off? Maybe they just aren’t good enough yet to play the “right way” game in game out
It is simple actually,,,,, please watch the game... all aspects.... back checking, finishing off a hit. so on and so on.....
Not all the players, some.....
And you are 100% correct on your evaluation of some not being good enough.

Last edited by retired/sectionJ; 02-08-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:55 PM
1st Line

hotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond reputehotdog fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Iím sorry but do you or anybody for that matter know for a FACT they arenít working their tails off? Maybe they just arenít good enough yet to play the ďright wayĒ game in game out
These guys have been playing hockey since they were little kids and I dont think the way to play the game changes that much. Maybe different systems but everything else should be common hockey sense.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:41 PM
2nd Line

g_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud ofg_squad has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post

I agree whole heartedly RSJ. Billy even alluded to it in his post gamer that they are waiting for the other team to go get the loose puck. That drives me insane. I just want to see an honest effort from the team. I am well aware that this is a young and inexperienced team but I want to see back checking by the forwards and pressure on the puck carrier. How many times have other teams walked right through our stick swinging defensive system to get a quality chance on net? Last game it looked like Owen Sound was on a game long power play. They cycled the puck around in the Niagara end for LONG periods of time. They even made line / player changes while still maintaining control of the puck. There was an obvious lack of pressure from the Dogs to get in lanes and take away the scoring chances. This team doesn't have the offensive fire power to run and gun with anybody now. They should focus a lot more on trying to limit shots and quality scoring chances against. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any defensive system from the coaches to accomplish this.

If they aren't playing the game the right way now, they probably won't play it the right way in 2 or 3 years either. Bad habits are hard to break. Need to nip them early and get them playing a simple system that once perfected they can expand upon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g_squad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,237 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:

Did you watch the game Thursday night?

It was completely obvious that they weren?t giving. 100%

There was so much standing around

So much turning away from a check instead of engaging the player with the puck

It was a complete joke

If you couldn?t see that ... sheesh

I realize we don?t have talent and I realize we are rebuilding and we are going to lose basically every game... but the lack of effort Thursday night was disgusting.

And coach BB is so clueless he doesn?t know what to do it is obvious ... why the hell does he leave the goalie in for all 11 goals? That shows a complete lack of respect to the player on behalf of the coach IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Did you watch the game Thursday night?

It was completely obvious that they weren?t giving. 100%

There was so much standing around

So much turning away from a check instead of engaging the player with the puck

It was a complete joke

If you couldn?t see that ... sheesh

I realize we don?t have talent and I realize we are rebuilding and we are going to lose basically every game... but the lack of effort Thursday night was disgusting.

And coach BB is so clueless he doesn?t know what to do it is obvious ... why the hell does he leave the goalie in for all 11 goals? That shows a complete lack of respect to the player on behalf of the coach IMO

No I was at the game and saw ALL 11 goals and maybe itís just my lack of expectations but the effort on Thursday is what I expect to see every game the rest of the year and nights like Tuesday where they looked alright are outliers. Iíd leave Maclean in as well letís face it you brought him in for the tougher games which is what Thursday turned out to be
Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,237 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
No I was at the game and saw ALL 11 goals and maybe itís just my lack of expectations but the effort on Thursday is what I expect to see every game the rest of the year and nights like Tuesday where they looked alright are outliers. Iíd leave Maclean in as well letís face it you brought him in for the tougher games which is what Thursday turned out to be

Lol