Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,656    Downloads: 1,430,405   Msgs Posted: 127,375   Thread Views: 23,926,144   Online Now: 47
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: How far will the Niagara IceDogs make it this year?
Memorial Cup champions. 2 9.09%
OHL champions. 4 18.18%
Eastern Conference champions. 7 31.82%
Central Division champions. 7 31.82%
None of the above. 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2018, 11:12 PM
1st Line

Red is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other membersRed is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
If they win theyíll be happy if they lose nothing changes just like every team that goes for it and falls short
Actually no, there are usually consequences when the team loads up, spends heavy and fails.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:21 AM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Actually no, there are usually consequences when the team loads up, spends heavy and fails.
Who was the last coach to fail and get the boot? I can only think of guys going onto better leagues
Old 12-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Big League

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,398 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Heads don’t necessarily roll in the OHL as they do in Pro Hockey.

I’m sure there are some examples of firing, but for the most part the GM stays the same - and the coaches of the “go for it” teams, successful or not, either return to their OHL team or get promoted to a pro job).

A few examples from last year’s failed attempts at a champions:

- Kingston (GM Darren Keily – returned and HC Jay Varady promoted to HC Tucson Roadrunners AHL).

- Kitchener (GM Mike McKenzie returned and HC Jay McKee returned)

- SSM (GM Kyle Raftis returned and HC Drew Bannister promoted to HC San Antonio Rampage AHL)

Every year 4 or 5 teams go all in – one team wins and everyone else moves on to the next season and that is about the extent of it in junior hockey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,776 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Who was the last coach to fail and get the boot? I can only think of guys going onto better leagues
Marty Williamson didn't exactly last long after his big attempt.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Yeah but was that because of he failed? Or were Mom & Dad just ready to turn over the GM reigns to JB, and figured that Marty wouldn't be happy to only be the coach, and not running the program?

Seems to me BB would have benefited from a few more years under Marty's 'Coaching Learning Tree'.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Big League

Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,398 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Marty survived his first failed attempt in 2012. As Auldbone indicated, in 2016, it probably was a simply a case of Bill Burke Sr. wanting to pass the GM job to his son. And give JB credit, aside from the Lochead trade - and who know what happened there, he has done a pretty good job drafting, trading and acquiring assets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Failed once and survived sooooo that doesnít really count and I think that was more a Billy and Joey thing and partly trying to lookout for him healthy wise
Old 12-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Marty survived his first failed attempt in 2012. As Auldbone indicated, in 2016, it probably was a simply a case of Bill Burke Sr. wanting to pass the GM job to his son. And give JB credit, aside from the Lochead trade - and who know what happened there, he has done a pretty good job drafting, trading and acquiring assets.
I actually think I can understand the Lochead trade. He probably took what young Mr Lochead said to him at face value, and didn't expect him to be in a London uniform the next day... He got fleeced thinking he was getting something for nothing. I doubt very highly that ever happens again. I say we thank London for giving our GM a very important lesson.

I hated to see Lochead go, but, this kind of 'on the job experience' will hopefully change the way he does business going forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 10:39 AM
1st Line

TwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond reputeTwoPadStack has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes there's a serious disconnect between my heart and my brain.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
I actually think I can understand the Lochead trade. He probably took what young Mr Lochead said to him at face value, and didn't expect him to be in a London uniform the next day... He got fleeced thinking he was getting something for nothing. I doubt very highly that ever happens again. I say we thank London for giving our GM a very important lesson.

I hated to see Lochead go, but, this kind of 'on the job experience' will hopefully change the way he does business going forward.
I disagree I think it happens again and I donít really care if I know someone isnít going to play for me Iíd rather turn that into something even if its only 1 third
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post: