Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,656    Downloads: 1,433,293   Msgs Posted: 127,458   Thread Views: 23,957,031   Online Now: 123
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t look at a young, rebuilding team as being a negative at all. On the contrary, I find it really exciting All that young potential, getting your first look at the team’s future, it’s maybe my favourite thing about junior hockey! The thing the Dogs have to get better at is development; not trading away 16-and-17 year olds before they can mature into stars.
I know full well a young team is going to not only make mistakes, but is also going to get taken advantage of by older, more veteran teams(like the Dogs have done to younger teams this year). But I always love that first time I see that spectacular play from a first-year player, and think: ‘That’s what we have to look forward to!’
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 PM

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,780 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I don’t look at a young, rebuilding team as being a negative at all. On the contrary, I find it really exciting All that young potential, getting your first look at the team’s future, it’s maybe my favourite thing about junior hockey! The thing the Dogs have to get better at is development; not trading away 16-and-17 year olds before they can mature into stars.
I know full well a young team is going to not only make mistakes, but is also going to get taken advantage of by older, more veteran teams(like the Dogs have done to younger teams this year). But I always love that first time I see that spectacular play from a first-year player, and think: ‘That’s what we have to look forward to!’
That's the joy of junior hockey - great summary!
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

And who knows, maybe someday the Dogs will get really lucky - and draft a true superstar! Can you imagine what it would be like if we had a season in which ‘the consensus first-overall-pick in the upcoming draft’ was an IceDog? The ‘best player playing outside the NHL’ or all those other terms the media uses: the next Connor McDavid, or Steven Stamkos was playing right here?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:45 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
And who knows, maybe someday the Dogs will get really lucky - and draft a true superstar! Can you imagine what it would be like if we had a season in which ‘the consensus first-overall-pick in the upcoming draft’ was an IceDog? The ‘best player playing outside the NHL’ or all those other terms the media uses: the next Connor McDavid, or Steven Stamkos was playing right here?
There are two ways for this to happen. Niagara finishes dead last one year and drafts first to obtain that impact franchise changing player. Niagara prides itself on never having missed the playoffs. Finishing in the basement would mean missing the playoffs for the first time and could have an impact on the fan base.

The second method is to be the team of choice for a defecting first-overall player who fails to report. Niagara then has to pay the piper in terms of compensatory draft picks.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Big League

What’s the price in terms of draft picks?
You know, it’s kind of a double-edged sword: the Dogs have been remarkably successful, but because of that, because they’ve never had a bottom-out kind of season, I don’t think they have ever picked higher than 6th or 7th in the 1st round.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You know, it’s kind of a double-edged sword: the Dogs have been remarkably successful, but because of that, because they’ve never had a bottom-out kind of season, I don’t think they have ever picked higher than 6th or 7th in the 1st round.
They’ve had a 5th Phil tomasino if I remember correctly
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,101 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
They’ve had a 5th Phil tomasino if I remember correctly
You are correct on Tomasino. And they picked Constantinou at 36 in the second round. Not that that means anything anymore.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The price is what the market will allow. If you are offering two 2nd picks but the franchise down the 401 is throwing in a 3rd then maybe you add two 3rds or another second to your bid. But if you through out a couple of seconds and the dejected defective team takes your offer because no one else is at the table, then it's "Sold to the man in the IceDogs jersey".
Old 04-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You know, it’s kind of a double-edged sword: the Dogs have been remarkably successful, but because of that, because they’ve never had a bottom-out kind of season
The evil scheming part of me almost wants them to tank this year and draft first in 2020. The business side of me says I would jeopardize the haul at that gate (both in the regular season and especially the lack of playoff revenue). Having a team finish last is hard on the fans but the players can emerge rock solid as long as they know the strategic four year game plan.