Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,123    Downloads: 827,541   Msgs Posted: 110,689   Thread Views: 16,386,534   Online Now: 140
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM
1st Line

the dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud of
Default Free parking at downtown garages at new arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired man in end zone View Post
Welll stated Alpha, you hit the nail right on the. head! Here we are in Florida and follow the game on the OHL game summary as it happens......The Jack and the parking is the reason the average fan goes not come!
wait until next year when they charge to park at city garage downtown....................
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM
2nd Line

Puckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to all

They will shoot themselves in the foot if they start charging at the parking garages.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,352 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
wait until next year when they charge to park at city garage downtown....................
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I WILL NOT pay to park in a lot that my taxpayers built, and has always up to this point, been free after 6. Actually I'm going to email council and the Dogs' office right now to see if I can find out.

Not only do I refuse to pay it when it's clearly just gouging us, but I can't afford it. I'll cancel my next year's season tix if I have to pay for parking every game (or even a one-time payment to cover all games).

THAT will keep the casual fan looking for cheap entertainment away too. The one reason people go is because it's 'relatively' cheap ($100 for a family of 4 to go to a game isn't cheap in my books).

The ticket prices are undoubtedly going to be more expensive, as I'm sure will condiments be. If they tack on pay parking on top of the other price increases, they'll be sitting their scratching their heads in seasons 2/3/4... in the new building wondering why only 1500 people are showing up.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,352 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

I just sent this email to the Mayor and city council members:
Quote:
I was wondering if council had any information on whether or not the 2 currently-free parking garages (in the evening) will remain free for Icedog fans (and other evening events) once the Meridian Center is operating?

One of the main reasons for building the new arena was to provide better access to free parking (which is terrible at the Jack). Since we have 2 large parking garages mostly empty at night time, it seems like a no-brainer. But I have just heard rumors that the city is going to start charging folks to park there for IceDog games.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2007 but I -will- cancel my tickets from now on if I'm forced to pay for what was once free parking for everyone else up until now.

Furthermore, there will undoubtedly be price increases for tickets and condiments once the new rink opens. If you add on pay parking for everyone, those 'casual fans' that you're hoping to attract to games are not going to come when it's no longer 'cheap' entertainment for a family.

My advice would be to follow supply and demand: keep prices low to the point where you're averaging at least 3500-4000 fans per game. Don't have a situation where the Dogs jack up ticket prices, condiment prices, then the city tacks on parking prices, and then scratch your heads why only 1500 people are coming out to games after the first 'honeymoon' season is over.

I would advice the IceDogs to do the same thing. What do they make more money on: 1500 paying $20 per seat or 4000 paying $15.

Keep the prices LOW so people can USE *their* new taxes-built arena, and keep the parking garages free in the evening.

Thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM
4th Line

JasonHockey is on a distinguished road

I knew from the start this new arena would be a huge failure. The parking at the Rex is the main reason why I don't go to any games anymore, and why I hate having to go to pickup during falcon games. This new parking looks even worse! To have to pay for parking on top of that makes it worse. The location in my opinion is really bad, and they should have just build something for it when they built the four-pad. Why would I pay that much for a parking hassle when I can pay $20 for a bulldogs game and free parking? Looks like the falcons will be playing at the four-pad, so I guess i'll stick to just supporting Niagara's Junior B teams instead.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM
3rd Line

jumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHockey View Post
I knew from the start this new arena would be a huge failure. The parking at the Rex is the main reason why I don't go to any games anymore, and why I hate having to go to pickup during falcon games. This new parking looks even worse! To have to pay for parking on top of that makes it worse. The location in my opinion is really bad, and they should have just build something for it when they built the four-pad. Why would I pay that much for a parking hassle when I can pay $20 for a bulldogs game and free parking? Looks like the falcons will be playing at the four-pad, so I guess i'll stick to just supporting Niagara's Junior B teams instead.
how is it a huge failure? if you don't want to pay for parking, come down early and get a street spot. Plenty will pay for the convenience of covered parking. Another 8 bucks? Big deal.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
So because there is a "rumour" that the city will charge for parking, you knew that it would be a failure from the start? Even though the doors don't open for six months. Wow! Jump the gun much?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
4th Line

The parking they have at arena itself is so small and barely bigger than what they have now. how do they expect everyone to park there? Looks like you will have to park down the street somewhere if you don't show up really early. I don't mind paying for the parking, but geez, make it worth while. They should have built it somewhere where they could have the parking like the Gale center. It is a bad location from the start, no room and apparently they aren't even renting any ice time either. Wonder where people will get all theirs once the rex closes down, we struggle for ice time as it is.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
The parking they have at arena itself is so small and barely bigger than what they have now. how do they expect everyone to park there? Looks like you will have to park down the street somewhere if you don't show up really early. I don't mind paying for the parking, but geez, make it worth while. They should have built it somewhere where they could have the parking like the Gale center. It is a bad location from the start, no room and apparently they aren't even renting any ice time either. Wonder where people will get all theirs once the rex closes down, we struggle for ice time as it is.
They don't expect everyone to park there. They had studies done that showed with two parking garages and side streets there is plenty of parking. Just have to move your feet a little. Guelph's arena is downtown and doesn't have a parking lot, they have a parking garage and side streets. Sound familiar? Their average attendance is over 4200 a game.

Council is voting tonight on whether to close Haig bowl instead... either way I've been to the 4-pad numerous times when one of the rinks sit empty. Just last Sunday when the Dogs were home to Sudbury, the lights were off at Rex because nobody was on the ice. Can't be struggling to badly for ice if on a Sunday afternoon they turn off the lights.

It's easy to say they should have built it here or built in there, but the fact is they need to own the land before they can just build it. I've heard a lot of people say they should have built in on the old GM site. Remember the city doesn't own the land at that site. Any acquisition of land would have added to the cost of the building. Besides, it was always their intention to keep it downtown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM
4th Line

For me, ease of access and parking are the biggest thing for going to games. If I have to pay more for that convince I will but having to find a place to park several blocks away is the reason why I rarely want to go to ice dogs games as it is. By the sounds of it, I would feel the same about Guelph. I hate downtown cities cause they are too crowded, I live away from them for the fact. Guess I'm just being too picky, but if it feels like a hassle to park I don't feel like going. Was really hoping this new arena would change that, but looks like it wont. I'll stick with Junior B then. Also just because the attendance is still high, doesn't mean people don't like it. I know lots of people that complain about the current parking but still go to games.

Haig Bowl would probably be the better choice to close, I hope they do that instead.

Last note, Sunday afternoons is hardly prime ice rental time

Last edited by JasonHockey; 02-24-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Closed Thread