Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,736    Downloads: 1,621,865   Msgs Posted: 129,715   Thread Views: 26,711,780   Online Now: 104
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,577 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Just because the IceDogs empty the cupboards doesn't mean other teams have to.
That way of thinking will get you an OHL participation ribbon. In just the last 2 years, I can give you a long list of go for it teams that failed because they went halfway in - and give you 2 teams that succeeded because they did empty the cupboard (Hamilton and Guelph).
Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 AM

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,867 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
That way of thinking will get you an OHL participation ribbon. In just the last 2 years, I can give you a long list of go for it teams that failed because they went halfway in - and give you 2 teams that succeeded because they did empty the cupboard (Hamilton and Guelph).
And if I were a stats guy, I could rhyme off teams that were competitive two years in a row. I could also cite teams that emptied the cupboard and still came away with that participation ribbon.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:57 AM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
And if I were a stats guy, I could rhyme off teams that were competitive two years in a row. I could also cite teams that emptied the cupboard and still came away with that participation ribbon.
Exactly! If the last two years has proven anything to teams like SSM, London, and Ottawa, it's that - if you don't empty the cupboard, someone else will.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:02 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Tomasino is an impact player this year. What team wouldn't want him in a run for a championship? The bonus with him having two years left is that you could sell him again or keep him to stay competitive the year following. Just because the IceDogs empty the cupboards doesn't mean other teams have to.

Also you can't necessarily saw teams only know where they are one year at a time. By the trade deadline last year Ottawa knew they could be competitive that year and likely the next as well.

If the right offer came along at this year's deadline, I would take it.
Had Robert Thomas returned for his 19 year old season, Hamilton would have been able to recover most if not all of what they traded away. So why would the Ice Dogs trade Tomasino away a year early, when the organization needs a marquee player - and they can get essentially the same return for Tomasino as a 19 year old?

Show me a n OHL trade that resulted in a team receiving “so much more” for trading a star 18 year old as opposed to a star 19 year old?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 11:28 AM
1st Line

the dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other membersthe dog is well liked by the other members

Trade window opens up tomorrow...maybe trade some of our surplus OA...
The Following User Says Thank You to the dog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM
2nd Line

jumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for that; one team wins championship; the rest get the ribbon. thats how sports works
The Following User Says Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 05:35 PM

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,867 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1290 View Post
Thanks for that; one team wins championship; the rest get the ribbon. thats how sports works
Oh I wondered how sports worked, cheers now I know.

My points were that emptying the cupboard doesn't guarantee getting out of the first round and having a championship year or even a strongly competitive year doesn't preclude doing it again the following season.

Teams can forge two year plans.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
My points were that emptying the cupboard doesn't guarantee getting out of the first round and having a championship year or even a strongly competitive year doesn't preclude doing it again the following season.
You’re right in saying - going all in doesn't guarantee a championship year, but it's clear in today’s OHL if you don’t go ALL in, you’re not winning a championships. In the last couple of years, only one or two teams were willing to do it – and not surprisingly they won. Hamilton and Guelph have thrown down the gauntlet and have raised the bar for an OHL championship team.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,186 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
You’re right in saying - going all in doesn't guarantee a championship year, but it's clear in today’s OHL if you don’t go ALL in, you’re not winning a championships. In the last couple of years, only one or two teams were willing to do it – and not surprisingly they won. Hamilton and Guelph have thrown down the gauntlet and have raised the bar for an OHL championship team.
On the other hand two years ago, Kingston went all in. This past season, Niagara went all in and they also failed miserably like Kingston did. I am fairly certain as to what happens to the room chemistry after the new players start to appear.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:10 AM
2nd Line

jumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to beholdjumbo1290 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh I wondered how sports worked, cheers now I know.

Teams can forge two year plans.
always happy to help
The Following User Says Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post: