Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,446    Downloads: 1,212,356   Msgs Posted: 121,985   Thread Views: 21,722,340   Online Now: 97
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Alumni Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Alumni Talk & News Talk of former IceDog players

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
3rd Line

pup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to beholdpup is a splendid one to behold
Default Sebastian Dahm

From www.cambrianshield.com. Although this article is from December/07, I thought that some of you fellow Dahm fans might enjoy reading it. BTW, I am more than confident that we will see Sebastian Dahm standing at the Olympics' opening ceremonies for Denmark in 2010.

Wolves goalie aims for Olympics

Tuesday, 11 December 2007

Sabastian Dahm takes away the bottom of the net as defencemen Peter Hermenegildo attempts to clear the puck.

The 21-year-old Danish goalie couldn’t imagine anything more exciting than joining his country to compete in the 2010 Winter Olympics in British Columbia.
“I’m very patriotic, I’d do anything to win the Olympics with my country,” says Sabastian Dahm, starting goalie for the Sudbury Wolves.
Today, he is recognized for being one of the top-ranked Danish goalies—putting him in position to become a starting goalie for Team Denmark. However, that won’t become official until three weeks before the winter games begin.
While Dahm likes his odds of becoming starting goalie, he does have competition. Peter Hirschm, who is one of Denmark’s top-ranked goalies and, coincidentally, one of Dahm’s hockey icons­­­­­­­—apart from his father, is also in the running.
Despite the competition, Dahm is confident that he will stand at the Olympics’ opening ceremony.
But, before he starts daydreaming about standing on the ice, singing his country’s national anthem, Denmark needs to qualify for the Olympics. This is something that it has not accomplished. However, it is Dahm’s “long-term goal.”
According to Dahm, Denmark’s chances to qualify are good with so many great Danish hockey players emerging.
Looking at Dahm’s credentials, he has helped both Under 18 and Under 20 Team Denmark Division 1 win the World Championship for the first time, as well as, a great performance with the Sudbury Wolves, which ultimately helped carry them into the OHL finals last spring.
Becoming a top-ranked goalie isn’t something that simply occurs, it takes hard work and dedication. That is a lesson Dahm knows well.
His first difficulties as a goalie happened when he arrived in Canada to play as the backup goalie for the Belleville Bulls and then playing for the Sarnia Sting.
“I had high expectations,” explains Dahm. “I thought I was going to be a superstar, but I very quickly found out that’s not the way it worked. I was only 18-years-old and had a lot to learn.”
His biggest struggle was with consistency. But for every downfall, he sees an opportunity to learn and improve.
“You can’t let things like that bother you, take what you can use from the game and move on,” he says.
With help from his teammates and coaches, Dahm’s game progressed.
However, despite his best efforts with the Sting, he was traded for a fourth round draft pick from the Sudbury Wolves, in January 2007.
The trade was a strategic move on Sarnia’s part and not reflective on Dahm’s performances, he says.
This trade would eventually help his hockey career.
The next day, Dahm was on his way to Mississauga where his new family, the Sudbury Wolves, awaited him.
“It was rough,” he says. “I went straight there, got dressed and played with the team.”
“As they (Sudbury Wolves) got to know me, I think they were happy with the trade. They were all really nice!”
The Sudbury Wolves had a rocky start to 2006- 07 season and so did Dahm with the Sarnia Sting.
“I wasn’t playing to my full potential,” he says.
With help from goalie coach Mike Lawrence, Dahm worked on his technical styles.
“He (Lawrence) sat me down and said ‘Look at your stats now, because that’s the last time you’ll get to see them until the season is over,’ and it was.”
After a month and a half of extra training, Dahm was excelling in net.
“When the playoffs started, I took it to a new level and started to get mentally prepared,” he says.
While the team was still on a seven-game losing streak, Dahm was “playing the best hockey of the season.”
His progress didn’t go unnoticed.
He won three first-star and two second-star in games, during the playoffs.
Improvements from Dahm and the team, as a whole eventually led the Wolves to OHL finals where they lost four games to two against Plymouth Whalers.
Despite their loss, Dahm played what is considered one of his best performances yet. It was the game that ultimately helped his reputation.
“I don’t think we went wrong anywhere that game,” he reflects.
“The last goal was made from miscommunication between our coaches and some of the players.”
“I think everyone was proud about what we did.”
Dahm received much support from his fans, which has been carried on through this season. It is greatly appreciated, especially because his family can’t always be there in-person to show their own support.
Being so far away from home can be difficult, he admits.
“It’s hard not to see family and friends, and it’s hard to not see them grow up.”
Dahm receives his biggest support from his father, Kim Soderberg.
He was a forward scoring champion for an elite non-professional hockey team and is a reason for Dahm’s passion for hockey.
As a child in kindergarten, his teacher would bring his class to the neighbouring hockey rink where his father used to play.
It was then, standing behind the boards cheering for his father that Dahm discovered his dreams; to one day play professional hockey.
At the age of four, he picked up his first hockey stick and joined a team. Being on a “board war” team, which is the equivalent to Timbits hockey, there were no goalies. However, even with the absence of what would eventually be his future, Dahm seemed to gravitate toward the position.
“We used to play with no goalies, but I would always be the guy (kid) standing in front of the net,” he laughed.
Today, Dahm has fulfilled many of his goals.
With the start of a new season for the Sudbury Wolves, he offers his help and experience to rookie teammates.
Despite a slow start to the season, Dahm continues to feel optimistic about their chances and hopes to continue pleasing his fans.
“I’m really happy people enjoy watching,” he says.
“I try my best to put on a good show because that’s what they’re here for.” Last Updated ( Friday, 11 January 2008 )
Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Line

Casey is a glorious beacon of lightCasey is a glorious beacon of lightCasey is a glorious beacon of lightCasey is a glorious beacon of lightCasey is a glorious beacon of lightCasey is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pup! That is a really cute story about watching his father.