Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,365    Downloads: 1,057,154   Msgs Posted: 119,096   Thread Views: 20,146,091   Online Now: 85
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,358 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!
Default What will a new arena LOOK like? + WISH LIST!

Does anyone know what model the new arena will someone resemble? I imagine, to keep costs down, it will be the typical cookie-cutter type rink that has gone up in other cities over the last couple decades. Although I have to admit, the KRock in Kingston has the nice feature of big windows on the one end, which KIND OF make up for the big gloomy ceiling and general grey/dark/gloomy feel).

The only seating style I like of the OHL rinks are probably Saginaw, and of course my favorite rink.

Seating placed right on top of the players/band/whatever is always great. And the steeper the better. Domed roof is a definite because those flat roofs with steel girders going across just look like being stuck in dark factory.

WISH LIST (Post replies to add your own!!) :

- coffee shop (Starbucks, Tim's, I don't really care, just so long as it's not 5 bucks a coffee)
- large front entrance inside. I love the HSBC 'holding tank' idea. Of course, not that big, but a scaled down version to get people out of the cold while waiting to get in
- keep the video screens! I know they were just temp. to make up for our ancient score clock, but I think they work wonders! And for the size of the screen, they're as cost effective as you can get!

I'd still like to know what portion of this thing is public $ and what is private. If it's more on the public side, then we *GET* to put forth our ideas, as it's our doggone money. Of course, if it's mainly of private cash, they can do whatever they like and say "this is what you're getting".

As taxpayers, we have to get rid of this notion that the government is 'them' and the public is 'us'. WE ARE the government in a democratic society. We elect our fellow wo/man to put forth our wishes, and give them the money to do so. If this is going to be mainly a public project we need to be as involved as possible, RIGHT FROM THE GET-GO. It's far to easy to sit back, let them come up with something without involving us, say "here yah go" and have us complain about it for the next 20yrs.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 AM
1st Line

hockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to behold

-- steep seats that still have legroom. In other words, the Barrie Molson Centre.

-- seats wide enough to fit. GM Centre in Oshawa, especially the club seats, is an example. ACC and Kitchener Aud are not.

-- Water fountains. I don't go to Brampton anymore because I refuse to buy several bottles of water per game.

-- concourses wide enough to move at intermission. A major problem in most OHL arenas.

Several newer ones wouldn't meet code in many provinces or states. Please don't cheap out here, this is not a corner to cut.

-- enough washrooms. Nothing is worse than leaving with 2:00 to go in the period to avoid the 40-deep lines for a five urinal, two stall washroom like Barrie. London's lines are legendary. And you can miss half a period in Oshawa if it's sold out. These are new rinks too, why wasn't this thought about?

EDIT: TEXT BELOW ADDED BY ALPHADOG. -- I originally went to reply to this msg, but with admins/moderators, the EDIT/QUOTE buttons are right next to each other, and I ended up EDITing it by accident instead of quoting it. So hockeyfan's original msg was turned into my reply with him, with his original text in quotes, but still being shown as posted BY him. I've edited it back to how it was more or less, and am putting MY reply to it below. GRRR... gotta find some way of moving that edit button away from the rest of them

REPLY BY ALPHADOG:

Quote:
-- steep seats that still have legroom. In other words, the Barrie Molson Centre.
I was thinking about this the other night... I've never been to see a game in Barrie, but how about a couple sections at least, with 'bar stool' type seating. Like how the standing room at our rink is, with the ledge in front, but have seats that are maybe bar stool height, with a footrest bar running the length of the row. You could push each row up close against each other, keeping the fans right on top of the game below. The downside of course would be that smaller children probably wouldn't fit well in those sections. But having a couple smaller sections of the total capacity like that would be nice

Quote:
-- seats wide enough to fit. GM Centre in Oshawa, especially the club seats, is an example. ACC and Kitchener Aud are not.
Heck man, I'll just be happy to have seats that I don't have to SHARE. Sometimes our row is squished in so much that when you inhale, you're pushing sideways on the people next to you. Having seats alone will be a big + for me

Quote:
-- Water fountains. I don't go to Brampton anymore because I refuse to buy several bottles of water per game.
Fountains that work. The water pressure in the ones at the Jack is so low that your lips almost come in contact with the metal you have to get so close to suck the water out.

Quote:
-- concourses wide enough to move at intermission. A major problem in most OHL arenas.
And concession stands that are placed AWAY from the general traffic flow. Dunno who the genius was that put ours RIGHT in front of the main doors going in/out of the rink, and right BETWEEN those doors and the washroom. You've got to push through people waiting in line just to get into the rink.

Quote:
Several newer ones wouldn't meet code in many provinces or states. Please don't cheap out here, this is not a corner to cut.
That's something I've been worried about all along. They'll cut costs so much that we'll have a spacious yet BORING rink that nobody will want to return to. If they spend the extra and do it RIGHT - make it unique and fun to be at, people won't complain about the tax pill being a bit larger than the size of the cheap arena's pill size.

But for gawd's sake, put a domed roof on, preferably with some wood. Nothing takes away from the atmosphere more than those dark flat ceilings lined with dark grey steel girders that make one feel like he/she's sitting inside an abandoned factory. Of the many downsides our rink has, I think our current roof is *GREAT*. Really brightens up the atmosphere.

Quote:
-- enough washrooms. Nothing is worse than leaving with 2:00 to go in the period to avoid the 40-deep lines for a five urinal, two stall washroom like Barrie. London's lines are legendary. And you can miss half a period in Oshawa if it's sold out. These are new rinks too, why wasn't this thought about?
I always leave with 1-2 mins to go each period just to avoid getting caught in the congestion. 'Not something I LIKE doing, but it's necessary.

Doorless washrooms would be nice too. Nothing worse than cleaning your hands after you go, knowing that you have to pull the dirty handle that's been touched by dozens of others who didn't wash. Grr.

Last edited by AlphaDog; 01-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 AM
1st Line

hockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to beholdhockeyfan is a splendid one to behold

Wow, great post....Hockeyfan? Hey, isn't that me? While the person who wrote that said a lot of what I'd say, it wasn't me saying it. I had a post in this thread, and somehow when it got quoted, my post disappeared and the one that quoted it appeared as mine. Bizarre!!

Agree on washrooms...and please, towels -- not hand dryers! Having hand dryers at a mass use place like an arena creates long lines...leading less people to wash their hands...and I hate sounding preachy, but the truth is, colds and flus spread easily in a cold rink. Plus on the north end washroom, you block both sinks if you use the one hand dryer! The towels also give you something to open the door with for those who feel better about doing that. And for the environmentally conscious...hand dryers use a ton of energy, trees are more renewable than the energy sources we use, and if it's done like some places I've seen, the washroom has a towel only disposal, and those towels are recycled. Quicker, more sanitary, and environmentally conscious -- I think we please everyone with that solution.

I never dreamed I'd type a paragraph on a hockey board about washroom towels.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
1st Line

Yes...the roof...I've always loved the Jack's roof! same for the finished wood roof in Thorold -- they add a lot of atmosphere. I know there's no chance we get that one, but I like it.

The Xcel Energy Center, home of the Minnesota Wild, has (or had anyway, I imagine they still do) bar seating exactly like what you describe. It was at the back of the lower level, which was open to the concourse (kind of like Oshawa). They looked great to me!

Barrie has six or seven rows of seats on one end (that's all the seats there are on that end) where you enter from the bar. They have bar rails in front of each row, and I believe they have bar service. Seems like a good idea to me.

Honestly, if they built the Barrie Molson Centre with a bit larger concourse and more washrooms, I'd be thrilled. To me, it's the model for modern OHL arenas -- great sightlines and a roof that's lower than most.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan View Post
Wow, great post....Hockeyfan? Hey, isn't that me? While the person who wrote that said a lot of what I'd say, it wasn't me saying it. I had a post in this thread, and somehow when it got quoted, my post disappeared and the one that quoted it appeared as mine. Bizarre!!
CRAP! Another screwup by me - the QUOTE button is right next to the EDIT button on my display. I"ll cut/paste repair it now..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
SysOp

re: hand towels in washrooms

Actually I'd advise against this. We have them in the factory at work and they are *A MESS*. A lot of the time people just toss into the garbage and miss, other times the paper doesn't come off cleanly and you get rips littering the floor. In a perfect world were everyone is super clean and takes the time to tidy up, towels are much better/faster. But in a public place they're pretty disgusting
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
1st Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
re: hand towels in washrooms

Actually I'd advise against this. We have them in the factory at work and they are *A MESS*. A lot of the time people just toss into the garbage and miss, other times the paper doesn't come off cleanly and you get rips littering the floor. In a perfect world were everyone is super clean and takes the time to tidy up, towels are much better/faster. But in a public place they're pretty disgusting
I don't know...unless we have 10 xcelarators... It takes three full cycles on these dryers to dry your hands, and if you do, everyone glares at you for taking too long.

I typically just let my hands drip dry if towels aren't available unless the washrooms aren't busy (which is never at a game). Too hard otherwise, especially at the north end washroom.

Interestingly, outside of Ontario, I've only seen hand dryers in one arena. I'd be okay with both, but towels serve other purposes than drying hands -- you can't wash your face or blow your nose with a hand dryer!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
CRAP! Another screwup by me - the QUOTE button is right next to the EDIT button on my display. I"ll cut/paste repair it now..
LOL no problem, as usual, you said what I was thinking anyway!