Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,743    Downloads: 1,636,498   Msgs Posted: 130,475   Thread Views: 27,249,751   Online Now: 91
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,233 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 G! View Post
Remember Aagaard is up there as well, but he was traded for. "Drafted" by far it's Sopa.
He was not traded for. He was drafted by the Dogs who then traded him to Sudbury with Wilkie for Pavel Jenys.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 PM
1st Line

the dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond repute

USHL today had a dispersal draft for players from central illinois flying aces.. Stephen Halliday went to Dubuque fighting saints
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the dog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,888 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
USHL today had a dispersal draft for players from central illinois flying aces.. Stephen Halliday went to Dubuque fighting saints
Dubuque just hung on to a playoff spot this year and had an an average attendance last year (no stats available yet this year) of 2023 (12/18th). Wonder if he'll stay put or come to the OHL?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Dubuque just hung on to a playoff spot this year and had an an average attendance last year (no stats available yet this year) of 2023 (12/18th). Wonder if he'll stay put or come to the OHL?
If he really wants to go to the NCAA heíll stay if not heíll come here
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 AM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

I know some of you do not think next year will be all that bad. However, I don’t think the IceDogs have ever been in such a bad situation as they find themselves next season. Here is why I think things will be really bad.

1) Limited Returning Players - At best we return 6 forwards and 1 defensemen, plus our 3 OA’s. Having no experienced goalie in the lineup is going to be real tough, unless they bring back McGrath for an OA year. That combined with only Howard returning on the blue line means our back end is going to be really weak. I would imagine the Dogs elect to have 2 OA’s at defence, likely Roberts and Hunter. Upfront we have potentially 3 top end returning forwards in Thomas, Tomasino and Sopa (although there are no guarantee Sopa returns). If the dogs don’t use an OA spot on McGrath, I think Castleman could also be back. After that it gets thin. For out last rebuild, we drafted Castleman and Singer who were a year older than the other draft picks and were coming off good seasons at the Jr. B level (Castleman had 19 goals and Singer had 31 goals) plus Phillip who was drafted the year before had 34 goals playing Jr. B. These three rookies came in and were OHL ready. This year we did not draft any high end Jr. B players and it doesn’t look like any of last year’s drafted players have excelled at the Jr. B level.

2) No Draft Picks - The Dogs are missing 6 second round picks, 4 third round picks and a fourth round pick. Have they ever been that empty of draft picks since they arrived in Niagara? The only way to reclaim those picks is to trade our better players. Thomas will be traded this season and I think Tomisano will be as well. They might consider trading Castleman as well leaving us with Sopa as our only high end forward (and again that is assuming he returns).

3) Lack of High End Young Players - We have only one player left from the top 3 rounds in the 2017 draft - Tomasino. And no players from the top 3 rounds in the 2018 draft. The past draft, we only had 2 picks in the top 4 rounds. We are extremely low on high end young talent. So somehow not only do the Dogs need to recoup draft picks, they also need to acquire high end young talent. I would imagine the Dogs will struggle all year trying to find a way to recoup draft picks and obtain young high end players.

I think if the IceDogs want to recover as quickly as possible they will need to sacrifice this season and trade away our best players.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 04-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I know some of you do not think next year will be all that bad. However, I donít think the IceDogs have ever been in such a bad situation as they find themselves next season.

I think if the IceDogs want to recover as quickly as possible they will need to sacrifice this season and trade away our best players.
I actually agree with this. The only caveat is that Niagara has to be up front and honest with the fans, then give them a reason to stay with the team during the most difficult year. Ideas include a new logo or new jersey design, contests throughout the year, update the fan experience, communicate the strategy well in advance, acknowledge the mistakes of the past bluntly and without reservation, and then commit to change.

Niagara may finish last in 2019-2020, but the prize will be drafting first in 2020 and that player will be the foundation of the rebuild as the team enters a new era.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,105 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Glad to see some posters with a clear view of reality.

This team will be very bad next year and will
Miss the playoffs by a long shot and for the first time ever.

So many great details in that posting .... their defense will be very weak and I sure hope they don’t bring McGrath back as an OA ... believe that will cost us another conditional pick too .... why waste ANOTHER pick in a year when you are going to finish out of the playoffs ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I sure hope they don’t bring McGrath back as an OA ... believe that will cost us another conditional pick too .... why waste ANOTHER pick in a year when you are going to finish out of the playoffs ...
Much rather split between two new goalies, give them the experience and see who emerges as a starter.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,619 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Isaac Enright: 2019 OHL Priority Selection Profile Video

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...-isaac-enright
Old 04-25-2019, 01:22 AM
3rd Line

OlDawg has a spectacular aura aboutOlDawg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie dogg View Post
I tend to go with Alesander Mikulovich in this category.
I disagree only in that Sopa is very a very much better communicator than Alex. Lots of reasons for this & not only related to the Soviet "personality". Sopa will pay huge dividends if he is given a chance.