Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,352    Downloads: 908,321   Msgs Posted: 117,868   Thread Views: 18,632,395   Online Now: 70
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

View Poll Results: Which party are you hoping for October 19th!
Conservative 16 53.33%
Green 0 0%
Liberal 9 30.00%
New Democrats 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2015, 01:05 PM
2nd Line

notldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of light

Recently married. Both my wife and I are educated and struggling to find work. Trickle down economics has proven over and over again to fail. The rich will just take more and laugh, not use it to hire more, or invest more.

I'm apart of a very angry generation that is wondering what happened to the country I was so proud of growing up in as a child. In my opinion, North America, both socially and economically greatly misses the Chretien/Clinton era. I intend to do my part in getting us back on track.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to notldogsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

Who ever gets in I feel it will be a minority government and we will be voting again in two years time.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,414 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notldogsfan View Post
Recently married. Both my wife and I are educated and struggling to find work. Trickle down economics has proven over and over again to fail. The rich will just take more and laugh, not use it to hire more, or invest more.

I'm apart of a very angry generation that is wondering what happened to the country I was so proud of growing up in as a child. In my opinion, North America, both socially and economically greatly misses the Chretien/Clinton era. I intend to do my part in getting us back on track.
Your generation was somehow sold on the promise that education equated to employment. We have all heard the joke about what the liberal arts major says upon graduation... "would you like fries with that?", but sadly in Niagara that phrase also extends to science and technology as well. Niagara lost its technology and manufacturing pieces during the heyday you remember fondly.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,454 Times in 796 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

You have a better chance to getting a decent paying job if you are highly educated (college or university), BUT, you have to study something that will actually GET you a job.

That's the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 05:13 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,356 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
You have a better chance to getting a decent paying job if you are highly educated (college or university), BUT, you have to study something that will actually GET you a job.
That's always been the problem - people study what they LIKE, then HOPE there's a job out there. If you want to guarantee work, study the market and see what the job postings are for. That's what I did. Initially went to Niagara College, Brock, then a private school for computers. Couldn't find work in the field in this area, and didn't have $ to move. Went back to Niagara C for welding.... have been working ever since.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
That's always been the problem - people study what they LIKE, then HOPE there's a job out there. If you want to guarantee work, study the market and see what the job postings are for. That's what I did. Initially went to Niagara College, Brock, then a private school for computers. Couldn't find work in the field in this area, and didn't have $ to move. Went back to Niagara C for welding.... have been working ever since.
Niagara only has tourism or public service type jobs. The other kinds are rare but I will be doing similar and heading west as soon as the oil business rebounds.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:18 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,356 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
Niagara only has tourism or public service type jobs.
Err... I've lived here for over 40 years, have had dozens of jobs since I started working when I was 12 on the farms. I've never had one tourism or public service job. I work in manufacturing. My one friend owns a construction company, my other buddy is an electrician. My girlfriend is an office admin. If you go on Job Gym, Jobbank, Workopolis, etc.. you'll see that tourism and public service make up a very small part of the jobs here in Niagara.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
Err... I've lived here for over 40 years, have had dozens of jobs since I started working when I was 12 on the farms. I've never had one tourism or public service job. I work in manufacturing. My one friend owns a construction company, my other buddy is an electrician. My girlfriend is an office admin. If you go on Job Gym, Jobbank, Workopolis, etc.. you'll see that tourism and public service make up a very small part of the jobs here in Niagara.
Sorry I meant Niagara Falls.
The Following User Says Thank You to pup96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
Who ever gets in I feel it will be a minority government and we will be voting again in two years time.
It might be even less than that.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold

Speaking as an American, I still envy Canadians for a number of reasons...not the least of which is how you conduct elections. They're relatively quick, so the chances of someone going off the rails and doing/saying something stupid is much reduced(just look at the Republicans running for U.S. president if you don't believe me...they're all trying to outdo each other by saying dumb stuff that no time is spent on their platforms, which can be summed up by saying "I've got mine, so sod everyone else!"). And by the time you go to bed, a new government is in place for however long it lasts. Us? Well, sometimes it takes MONTHS to declare a winner, by which time our hair gets 3 shades grayer. No, I'm not trying to be the American version of Rick Mercer. (Even if I've seen too many of his rants...)

I'd LOVE to see the New Democrats take the reins of power, but I'll settle for the Liberals. Quite frankly, Harper and the Conservatives have basically kicked Canada so far back, in many departments, that it'll take years to repair the country's reputation.