Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,337    Downloads: 884,949   Msgs Posted: 117,497   Thread Views: 18,149,837   Online Now: 102
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute
Default NBL Team

Here the update of our pro basketball team https://twitter.com/610CKTB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to three dog night For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,402 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

So apparently the basketball team will be the "Niagara River Lions". Which means when it comes to the Meridian Centre, there will be fighting like cats and dogs. I had joked with my wife that following the example of the Niagara IceDogs, they would name the team the Niagara CourtCats (turns out I was close, although I have no idea what a river lion is)

Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,356 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

I heard that on the radio yesterday. The "RIVER LIONS"? Really??? WTF is a river lion?

Well congratulations. They win the award for the most idiotic name possible. (IMO of course) Lord knows the Niagara River is just teeming with lions. Lord knows lions and water go so well together.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 AM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
I heard that on the radio yesterday. The "RIVER LIONS"? Really??? WTF is a river lion?

Well congratulations. They win the award for the most idiotic name possible. (IMO of course) Lord knows the Niagara River is just teeming with lions. Lord knows lions and water go so well together.
There is also no truth to the rumor that this was the runner up for the team logo:
Attached Thumbnails
Name: CourtCat.jpg    
Views: 89    
Size: 196.7 KB    
ID: 23732     
Old 05-29-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Lord knows the Niagara River is just teeming with lions.
Actually AlphaDog, it is a well known fact that lions are quite abundant in the Niagara River. It isn't publicized much for fear of frightening the tourists but I have a picture in my collection, taken near the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie which depicts an actual river lion. I have no doubt this species is descendent from the famous Detroit Lions and has just drifted down stream and settled in Niagara.
Attached Thumbnails
Name: River Lion.jpg    
Views: 101    
Size: 292.3 KB    
ID: 23733     

Last edited by NiceDawg; 05-29-2015 at 06:08 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Team Captain

three dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond reputethree dog night has a reputation beyond repute

it is based on this The River Lion is a mythical creature that sits at the top of the Niagara Region’s coat of arms to honour Niagara’s first inhabitants, the Neutral Nations and the Iroquoian Loyalists.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Serving a Suspension

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by three dog night View Post
it is based on this The River Lion is a mythical creature that sits at the top of the Niagara Regionís coat of arms to honour Niagaraís first inhabitants, the Neutral Nations and the Iroquoian Loyalists.
I am sure the Neutrals and Iroquois would have looked at it and said WTF too Good thing its only basketball!!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:50 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,356 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
I am sure the Neutrals and Iroquois would have looked at it and said WTF too Good thing its only basketball!!
Hehe, yah... even if it's on the coat of arms, it's not like 99.9999999% of residents know that I didn't even know Niagara Region HAD a coat of arms.

Anyway... I'm not expecting the team to last long. Is that professional lacrosse team still playing here?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM

If they are only counting on crowds of 2,000 it makes me wonder how the team will sustain itself what with salaries, travel and expenses. I give it a year.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Trust me, I've seen LOADS more idiotic team names in other sports. How would you like to be a fan of the upcoming Double A baseball team the Hartford(CT)Yard Goats? (And that beat out 9 other nicknames-including Honey Badgers and Praying Mantis. Truth to tell, the nickname does play on the city's railroad history, as it does mean either a truck or train.)