Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,420    Downloads: 1,186,163   Msgs Posted: 121,037   Thread Views: 21,283,366   Online Now: 94
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

View Poll Results: Which party are you hoping for October 19th!
Conservative 16 53.33%
Green 0 0%
Liberal 9 30.00%
New Democrats 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Speaking as an American, I still envy Canadians for a number of reasons...not the least of which is how you conduct elections. They're relatively quick, so the chances of someone going off the rails and doing/saying something stupid is much reduced(just look at the Republicans running for U.S. president if you don't believe me...they're all trying to outdo each other by saying dumb stuff that no time is spent on their platforms, which can be summed up by saying "I've got mine, so sod everyone else!"). And by the time you go to bed, a new government is in place for however long it lasts. Us? Well, sometimes it takes MONTHS to declare a winner, by which time our hair gets 3 shades grayer. No, I'm not trying to be the American version of Rick Mercer. (Even if I've seen too many of his rants...)

I'd LOVE to see the New Democrats take the reins of power, but I'll settle for the Liberals. Quite frankly, Harper and the Conservatives have basically kicked Canada so far back, in many departments, that it'll take years to repair the country's reputation.
The NDP and Liberals would try and spend there way out of debt raising taxes and running deficits. I am not saying the Conservatives have all the answers but when other countries were going belly up Canada stayed afloat. At this point (and its the first federal election I get to vote) I would sooner stay with the idiot I know rather than the idiot I don't know.

What is our bad reputation?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:05 PM
2nd Line

notldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of lightnotldogsfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
The NDP and Liberals would try and spend there way out of debt raising taxes and running deficits. I am not saying the Conservatives have all the answers but when other countries were going belly up Canada stayed afloat. At this point (and its the first federal election I get to vote) I would sooner stay with the idiot I know rather than the idiot I don't know.

Canada stayed afloat because the Chretien/Martin government left the economy in incredible shape, so much that Harper was able to coast through. Since that recession, however, Harper is the only leader of a first world nation to see a 2nd recession hit. This recession is unique to Canada.

Our Country used to have the reputation of Peace Keepers. Not only are we not seen as that, we have a Prime Minister using racism, fear and messages of hate to divide the country and make enemies overseas.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post

Pup: The server would become bogged down if I listed EVERYTHING that the Harper government has done in that department. Suffice it to say...it's a lot.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notldogsfan View Post
Canada stayed afloat because the Chretien/Martin government left the economy in incredible shape, so much that Harper was able to coast through. Since that recession, however, Harper is the only leader of a first world nation to see a 2nd recession hit. This recession is unique to Canada.

Our Country used to have the reputation of Peace Keepers. Not only are we not seen as that, we have a Prime Minister using racism, fear and messages of hate to divide the country and make enemies overseas.
That's part of what I was getting at. Thanks to Twitter, I took a look earlier at an opinion piece in the Globe and Mail earlier today-and its major point was that by running with the niqab issue, the Conservatives made a major tactical mistake which could cost them the majority in Parliament.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,511 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Thanks to pup96 for an interesting take on the Federal Election as seen through the eyes of hockey fans. His poll is closed but the actual election polling stations are wide open to accept your vote for real. I was surprised by the results here depicting a Conservative majority. I wonder how closely IceDogFans.com will predict the local and national results?
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Niagara will vote the same way as Canada but I do think there will be a Conservative minority and we go back to the polls again in a year or two.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,531 Times in 844 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Election 2015

I think (hope) Harper blew it with the niqab issue . Probably has lost many votes from minority groups and I can't imagine many public servants will vote for him either.

I'm predicting a liberal minority but the NDP have said they will support a minority Liberal govt if that's the case we may not go to the polls again so soon.

My vote was cast here in NF and my polling station was VERY busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 AM
1st Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I think (hope) Harper blew it with the niqab issue . Probably has lost many votes from minority groups and I can't imagine many public servants will vote for him either.

I'm predicting a liberal minority but the NDP have said they will support a minority Liberal govt if that's the case we may not go to the polls again so soon.

My vote was cast here in NF and my polling station was VERY busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if anyone predicted a Liberal majority, they're lying!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 G! View Post
Well if anyone predicted a Liberal majority, they're lying!
Not me! That was a huge surprise but it was interesting following the election for the first time and voting.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,360 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Yah I didn't see a LIB majority coming either.

BUT... not many people voted for the Liberals. The latest big poll done, shows that 68% of voters voted "For change", 13% for the Liberal platform, 7% for Justin.

So basically it's like people were saying: "yah well.. Mr. Trudeau... I only selected the LIB MP on the ballot in order to not choose the Tories."