Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,745    Downloads: 1,649,875   Msgs Posted: 130,782   Thread Views: 27,540,764   Online Now: 101
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

Old 11-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet(not CBC)

I never thought I’d see the day. I have thought for a long time that someday Don Cherry step down, or aside as a result of something he said on HNiC. Didn’t think it would be this, though. Shocked, and yet not surprised. Wow. 85 years old, and he goes out like this. I remember years ago, Cherry used terms like ‘Chicken Swede’, and purported, frankly, racist opinions about many European ethnicities. Swedes, Russians, Finns, French-Canadians/Canadiens being ‘picked on’ at best, discriminated against at worst.
I have heard that Brian Burke will fill Cherry’s role on ‘Coach’s Corner’ for now.
Where do we go from here? I don’t know. One wonders if Ron MacLean will continue on, or if HNiC will completely go scorched-earth with the first intermission and completely rebuild the thing from the ground up?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,120 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I used to love Don Cherry but honestly I’ve stopped regularly watching him the past many years ... like the past 7-9 years of rarely watching him.

He rarely makes a valid point anymore ... can’t seem to put two thoughts together ... he’s totally out of touch with today’s NHL, I’m sick of hearing the same stories over and over again, his act tired on me ... I was really hoping he would retire this summer.

The fact is since cutting the cord Almost seven years ago I rarely ever watch a HNIC feed ... and if I do I fast forward the commercials and intermissions ...

I like a lot of his pro-Canadian stance don’t get me wrong ... as much as I think he’s out of touch with today’s NHL he’s also out of touch with today’s society .... you clearly cannot say stuff like he said or used to say on TV in this country at least, without serious repercussions.

In the USA a racist president can run for Re-election ... in Canada a racist commentator gets fired ... I prefer the latter environment to live in and raise my kids in .... not the former ....

So I say

Good riddance Don Cherry ... sportsnet, what took you so long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Good riddance. Should have happened a long time ago.

You are a hockey broadcaster, just talk about hockey!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Big League

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

Love you Donny boy...thanks for the memories.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of5 for fighting has much to be proud of

Did you guys even hear what Don Cherry said. It wasn’t even that bad. “Don Cherry is right” is trending at number 2 right now on Twitter and there are multiple petitions out with tens of thousands of signatures. Sportsnet is taking a beating.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 11-11-2019 at 11:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Rookie

CrazyJoeDavola will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
Did you guys even hear what Don Cherry said. It wasn’t even that bad. “Don Cherry is right” is trending at number 2 right now on Twitter and there are multiple petitions out with tens of thousands of signatures. Sportsnet is taking a beating.
I agree, what he said wasn't bad. ...It just didn't fit with sportsnet politically correct narrative. Our prime minister got a free pass on his numerous blackface appearance's, yet Don Cherry mentions wear a poppy and be thankful you people who come to this country and he gets blacklisted. ...Hypocrisy. ..Mainstream Media/google/facebook/ twitter entertainment industry etc all lean in a certain political social way. ''Agree with us and your safe, disagree and your gone '' .

Last edited by NiceDawg; 11-12-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyJoeDavola For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that Cherry said that I disagree with was his assertion that the only people that are not wearing poppies are immigrants. That is a xenophobic point of view.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Alwayssunny1 is on a distinguished road

Should the Icedogs try and recruit Cherry for a coaching job to replace Burke?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alwayssunny1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,209 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Anyone who has been following the Ice Dogs for a long time would not be in favor of your suggestion.
Don Cherry was the original owner of the Mississauga Ice Dogs and apparently it was not very good situation.
I fired more coaches than any other team and even fired himself as head coach a number of times.
He is 85 years young...I believe that you may have been joking LOL
Old 11-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,239 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayssunny1 View Post
Should the Icedogs try and recruit Cherry for a coaching job to replace Burke?
It's fairly obvious the world has evolved while Cherry hasn't. I'll take just about anyone as head coach over Billy but an 85 yr old xneophobe isn't one of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post: