Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,835    Downloads: 2,631,861   Msgs Posted: 136,973   Thread Views: 40,900,488   Online Now: 114
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,367 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

My first computer class in Gr. 10 was on Commodore Pets. Me, I went C64 > C128 > Amiga 500 > Amiga 2000 > Pentium 90Mhz PC. That PC cost me $4K.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Grump

Thanked 3,728 Times in 2,067 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

In my heyday I had two machines running Fido mail with two dedicated phone lines including an inwats line (1-800). Looking back it was good I got married when I did
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
In my heyday I had two machines running Fido mail with two dedicated phone lines including an inwats line (1-800). Looking back it was good I got married when I did
Yah my BBS started out being from like 10pm-8am, then finally grew to 2 full time phone lines. I never ran Fido or EchoNet or any of those though. I remember Doctor On Board being pretty big...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Grump

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
Yah my BBS started out being from like 10pm-8am, then finally grew to 2 full time phone lines. I never ran Fido or EchoNet or any of those though. I remember Doctor On Board being pretty big...
It was huge! I remember helping him out when he first started - nicest guy you'd ever meet. He put more time money and effort into that board and eventually had five lines running and later became the first to transition to an actual website.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
It was huge! I remember helping him out when he first started - nicest guy you'd ever meet. He put more time money and effort into that board and eventually had five lines running and later became the first to transition to an actual website.
Isn't it funny how this whole thing that we remember is just gone... I mean it was replaced by something better, no doubt... lol... But... It's like when I was reading Ready Player One, and they're talking about all this cool 80s stuff, and I'm thinking, hell yeah, I remember going into a pizzaria, and having to wait 25 - 30 mins, so I would sit down at the PacMan Cocktail unit... And spend a few quarters ( I'm terrible at PacMan, so likely a buck or two... lol ). Or a Galaga machine... Or even better, a trip to an arcade... There are some parts of the 80s that I just wish we still had...

A BBS was like a little mom and pop corner store, the internet feels like Walmart... Or maybe Costco... *shrug* I'm sure I was going somewhere with this but I seem to have lost my way... Oh and if you're feeling nostalgic, I did hear about Arc80an over on Lake St... Just saying, great opportunity to support a local business and a way cool concept... lol... *not affiliated with Arc80an, just think it is a way cool idea, and when I get a free day, I plan to stop in*

Anyway off for blood work and physiotherapy.. Stay well... Avoid cars trying to Frogger you...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 PM
SysOp

Arc80an sounds interesting. I'll do a search and see if I can find out more, and if it sounds interesting, pop in tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant pretend to know what it was like pre-internet because I have lived my whole life always having it. I have always known if the answer wasnt around I could probably just Google it. Being able to see things around the world and reach out to people in an instant is just a fact of life. If a new song comes out I hear it on youtube and if I like it I can download it somewhere else. If I am interested in something chances are there are a hundred thousand other people with the same idea. I can carry all of my music my data and a miniature computer around with me in my pocket and if I really get desperate I can use it to make a phone call with. I couldnt imagine having vinyl records no computer no Google in my pocket no internet and having such a big world that was out of my reach. The scary part is as much as I think you guys grew up in a tough time when I am in my 50s some 18 year old twerp will be thinking the same about me. It is amazing to think about where things were go.

PS: Frogger is a great game!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldBone View Post
Isn't it funny how this whole thing that we remember is just gone... I mean it was replaced by something better, no doubt... lol... But... It's like when I was reading Ready Player One, and they're talking about all this cool 80s stuff, and I'm thinking, hell yeah, I remember going into a pizzaria, and having to wait 25 - 30 mins, so I would sit down at the PacMan Cocktail unit... And spend a few quarters ( I'm terrible at PacMan, so likely a buck or two... lol ). Or a Galaga machine... Or even better, a trip to an arcade... There are some parts of the 80s that I just wish we still had...

A BBS was like a little mom and pop corner store, the internet feels like Walmart... Or maybe Costco... *shrug* I'm sure I was going somewhere with this but I seem to have lost my way... Oh and if you're feeling nostalgic, I did hear about Arc80an over on Lake St... Just saying, great opportunity to support a local business and a way cool concept... lol... *not affiliated with Arc80an, just think it is a way cool idea, and when I get a free day, I plan to stop in*

Anyway off for blood work and physiotherapy.. Stay well... Avoid cars trying to Frogger you...
They were good times indeed. A bunch of us used to meet up every other month or so for wings and beer, shoot the er breeze and dream of the future. I don't suppose any of us predicted this.

So what is Arc80an anyhow and where on Lake?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM
SysOp

The advantage WE had when growing up, was that we were free. We were never recorded everyone minute on security cameras, our phone calls weren't recorded, when we first started on the web, every place we went wasn't recorded, every post we made wasn't logged and saved, every picture taken of us wasn't digital and put on the internet. When someone spread a rumor, it was by mouth. I couldn't imagine growing up these days where someone says something about someone else online, and 10,000 people read it. Someone does something stupid, one person whips out their phone and records it, and everyone they know sees it and saves the video. Etc, etc, etc.

We were much more free back then.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
The advantage WE had when growing up, was that we were free. We were never recorded everyone minute on security cameras, our phone calls weren't recorded, when we first started on the web, every place we went wasn't recorded, every post we made wasn't logged and saved, every picture taken of us wasn't digital and put on the internet. When someone spread a rumor, it was by mouth. I couldn't imagine growing up these days where someone says something about someone else online, and 10,000 people read it. Someone does something stupid, one person whips out their phone and records it, and everyone they know sees it and saves the video. Etc, etc, etc.

We were much more free back then.
Truer words AlphaDog! In our day we could log in and also log out as well. I fear the future will be an electronic mess that you are always connected to.