Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,852    Downloads: 2,854,915   Msgs Posted: 141,844   Thread Views: 49,914,877   Online Now: 65
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 09:43 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,466 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
That is one option, but the second is, they DO report but their contract essentially includes line placement and ice time. So while they would be a third/fourth liner on Team A with Niagara they start off on the top-line and are included in special teams. I have no inside scoop, but I suspect Akil Thomas had something similar in his agreement.

If you are yet another star in a constellation of other stars it is difficult to get recognized. Someone like Kevin He however, on Team A he might not have stood out as much yet on a team like Niagara, he (He) is noticeable in every shift. I guess it is the choice of being a large part of something small or a tiny part of something big.

If I were a head scout/GM, these are the conversations I would be having with players, agents and families. You can anchor a team around one player (can you say Connor McDavid) and go from the basement to the top. Getting that "franchise player" you build on the intangible rewards: top line year one plus special teams, A in year two, C in year three, showcased in the media and in the community, we will market you as our "brand"; you want to be noticed - you will be the face of our team...
You can say Connor McDavid and I get your point but Erie didn't win a championship until he left. It was the year after. I'm sure he was a huge recruitment tool. But, Erie had hockey people in place, they just needed to convince the McDavid clan of the plan going forward.

Can you explain the plan here in Niagara and what hockey people they have in place? It's painfully obvious there isn't one. Until then, top prospect will be not be reporting.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Grump

Thanked 4,041 Times in 2,272 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Actions speak louder than words. Based on the actions and results at all levels for numerous years from this GM/Owner there's no chance I'm risking my kids future.
This is true, but also ego sometimes plays a big role: "Look at the deal I got for my kid, Team A was only going to give him _____". Lets face it, Team A can only dress two sixteen year-olds, they aren't going to draft everyone. Just because you have a short list of four teams you are interested in, doesn't mean they have you as high on their list. You might be more cost/aggravation than taking the best first-rounder available when Team A's pick comes around. If Team A is in a "go-for-it" year then 16 year old Johnny's feelings aren't the greatest concern. Yes, NCAA is an option, but not the preferred route for all kids.

I could spin it. Not sure our current GM could.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:40 AM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold

The conversation about "hockey people" brings up an question my wife had. Good question, maybe some of you can chime in.

Where is Gretzky ?
Old 02-07-2023, 10:58 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,079 Times in 873 Posts
dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
The conversation about "hockey people" brings up an question my wife had. Good question, maybe some of you can chime in.

Where is Gretzky ?
Hes probably too busy with his TV gig and other stuff to even think about coming around and IMO hes only apart of the ownership for his name
Old 02-07-2023, 11:01 AM
1st Line

5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute

I said when it was first announced that Gretzky’s involvement is likely just a business deal. Some said that Gretzky would be here signing autographs and running the occasional practice but I just couldn’t see it. I don’t think he has any input on the hockey side.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:07 AM
1st Line

5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute5 for fighting has a reputation beyond repute

If the IceDogs win the lottery and get 1st pick, I think they will get a top 3 player for no other reason than the 1st pick gets a lot of recognition. If they pick 2nd or later, that will make it harder as there isn’t a lot of difference in terms of recognition for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall pick.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:10 AM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Hes probably too busy with his TV gig and other stuff to even think about coming around and IMO hes only apart of the ownership for his name
Exactly he is just a "name", a brand. When does Wayne's agent or people, decide this team is affecting his brand ($$) ?
Old 02-07-2023, 11:16 AM
Big League

Thanked 1,070 Times in 728 Posts
Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!Dogs Enthusiast 104 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
If the IceDogs win the lottery and get 1st pick, I think they will get a top 3 player for no other reason than the 1st pick gets a lot of recognition. If they pick 2nd or later, that will make it harder as there isnt a lot of difference in terms of recognition for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall pick.
As a wild card.

If Niagara actually lands the Memorial Cup. We won't have any problems signing our first round picks.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,576 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
As a wild card.

If Niagara actually lands the Memorial Cup. We won't have any problems signing our first round picks.
That's great but I doubt they'd be here very long. To have any chance of being completive there both firsts and He plus just about all the picks would be gone.

He needs to hire a quality GM ASAP and sell the 1st rounders on them going for it in 2027 and put in a bid for the memorial cup that year. All moves next year need to be made with winning in that time frame in mind.

As an owner he needs to start treating the players the way the other top teams do. The penny pinching(assuming the rumors are correct) needs to stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:23 PM
3rd Line

DJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud ofDJBrooks has much to be proud of

Any exceptional-status kids are a bad example here.

The league heavily vets these kids and will just not give them exceptional status if they won't go where they are drafted (obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the surface-level version).

Sean Day is the only real exception I can think of and there were a lot of extra things involved in that whole scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
You can say Connor McDavid and I get your point but Erie didn't win a championship until he left. It was the year after. I'm sure he was a huge recruitment tool. But, Erie had hockey people in place, they just needed to convince the McDavid clan of the plan going forward.

Can you explain the plan here in Niagara and what hockey people they have in place? It's painfully obvious there isn't one. Until then, top prospect will be not be reporting.
Closed Thread