Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,787    Downloads: 1,727,812   Msgs Posted: 133,689   Thread Views: 29,489,963   Online Now: 55
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 PM
Big League

Chipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond reputeChipperdog has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of play won't attract people to play here...the way this is going now, everyone that has the slightest chance of being drafted by us will go the NCAA route...lol. how many will Sudbury slip past us today? And which goalie draws the short straw?
Old 02-09-2020, 01:55 PM
3rd Line

NachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Coaching change definitely wouldnít help much if at all but as long as the HC has the last name Burke people on here will say itíll change everything
B.S. The coachís name could be Joe Blow. It doesnít take a rocket scientist to recognize that heís over his head. Why isnít anyone calling for the GMís job? Is he not a Burke? Itís because ďpeople on hereĒ think heís doing a good job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NachoLou For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2020, 02:36 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoLou View Post
B.S. The coach’s name could be Joe Blow. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to recognize that he’s over his head. Why isn’t anyone calling for the GM’s job? Is he not a Burke? It’s because “people on here” think he’s doing a good job.
People aren’t calling for joeys job cause they like the trades for now just wait if Butler or Peters absolutely suck or the picks they got don’t end up being anything they’ll go after Joey as well (plus I bet people were calling for the GMs job after we didn’t win in the playoffs cause of what he spent on guys)

Last edited by dogs777; 02-09-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:43 PM
3rd Line

NachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
People arenít calling for joeys job cause they like the trades for now just wait if Butler or Peters absolutely suck or the picks they got donít end up being anything theyíll go after Joey as well (plus I bet people were calling for the GMs job after we didnít win in the playoffs cause of what he spent on guys)
Am I reading this correctly? So, if the players that Joey trades for ďabsolutely suckĒ. People on here will be demanding his head because his name is Burke, not because he did a poor job of acquiring good players?

I donít know if I couldíve made my point any clearer than you did. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoLou View Post
Am I reading this correctly? So, if the players that Joey trades for ďabsolutely suckĒ. People on here will be demanding his head because his name is Burke, not because he did a poor job of acquiring good players?

I donít know if I couldíve made my point any clearer than you did. Thanks.
I worded my point incorrectly IMO if both players mentioned donít exceed expectations Iíd bet people on here will blame that on billy and say Joey blew the trades and not look at the players themselves (hope that makes sense)
Old 02-10-2020, 08:34 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members

While I think a more experienced coach could get a little more out of this team, the real problem is the IceDogs have not used their assets well. They traded away way too much to go for it last year and now they are paying for it. Plus their last two drafts have not been good which has resulted in far too few talented young players. In 2018 the draft resulted in only one player from the first three rounds (Moore) and he was traded away. This past draft they only had a first and fourth round pick until they traded up for a third round pick but this still left them without a second and fourth round pick in a year when they desperately needed young talented players.

It’s not all Billy’s fault. The IceDogs have very little talent on the roster right now.

Last edited by 5 for fighting; 02-10-2020 at 08:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,000 Times in 653 Posts
dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be opposed to a new HC and a new GM, don’t get me wrong, I’d be thrilled
But for all the chance that the Dogs will actually have a new HC/GM anytime soon, I might as well be advocating for Ronald McDonald as the new man in charge..
In fact, no. I will. It will be me. I have no coaching experience coaching anything, never generally managed anything.
All kidding aside, I want three things:1)Competence
2)Experience
3)Inflexibility
Marty Williamson had those three things to varying degrees, but The Burke Boys have almost none.

Last edited by dogged74; 02-10-2020 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 AM
Big League

Thanked 1,000 Times in 653 Posts
dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I think 5 for fighting’s last post outlined pretty well. The past few drafts have yielded far too few talented players. Add to that the fact that the Dogs traded away what little draft capital they had for a really ill-advised playoff run. In short, the Dogs made their bad situation much, much worse. Even with a full complement of draft picks, this mess would take years to repair. But, as we know, the Dogs aren’t dealing with a full deck().
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM
3rd Line

OlDawg has a spectacular aura aboutOlDawg has a spectacular aura aboutOlDawg has a spectacular aura about
Default Building a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
While I think a more experienced coach could get a little more out of this team, the real problem is the IceDogs have not used their assets well. They traded away way too much to go for it last year and now they are paying for it. Plus their last two drafts have not been good which has resulted in far too few talented young players. In 2018 the draft resulted in only one player from the first three rounds (Moore) and he was traded away. This past draft they only had a first and fourth round pick until they traded up for a third round pick but this still left them without a second and fourth round pick in a year when they desperately needed young talented players.

Itís not all Billyís fault. The IceDogs have very little talent on the roster right now.
Where is it written that you build a champion team by adding 3-4 high profile players with a draft where you deal away your recent first rounder(s) & a raft of draft pics who are the core for a run in future. Very short sighted, rookie, mistakes. If your braintrust is naive enough, perhaps. How many times can a fan base forgive this approach before they are "lost" for futures?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,237 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDawg View Post
Where is it written that you build a champion team by adding 3-4 high profile players with a draft where you deal away your recent first rounder(s) & a raft of draft pics who are the core for a run in future. Very short sighted, rookie, mistakes. If your braintrust is naive enough, perhaps. How many times can a fan base forgive this approach before they are "lost" for futures?

At one point in time last year I had said a similar thing ... was that dogs team last year good enough to make a run for it? ... they had to add so much and still they didn?t go far and they did NOT address the biggest weakness IMO.... the goaltender ...

I mean once they added Robertson and Paquette you knew they had to go all in ...

Perhaps they should have retooled and reloaded for another year ... this year would look ALOT different that?s for sure.

Ideally we wouldn?t have to acquire four top end players for the next go for it year ... that?s the ideal situation ... does not always happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post: