Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,787    Downloads: 1,727,805   Msgs Posted: 133,689   Thread Views: 29,489,750   Online Now: 82
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,294 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
This list is not impressive one bit. The lack of talent is worriesome. The 03's is where it's at because in no way will this team be in a position to go for it in 2 yrs. Hopefully, they can flip Butler and Tynan as 19 yr olds and turn them something into that will help them the following year. I'm not sure with the lack of talent that this isn't a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Hopefully, they don't force things and go for it in a year they don't have the horses like last year.
Yes, yes and a big yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,594 Times in 1,824 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
This list is not impressive one bit. The lack of talent is worriesome. The 03's is where it's at because in no way will this team be in a position to go for it in 2 yrs. Hopefully, they can flip Butler and Tynan as 19 yr olds and turn them something into that will help them the following year. I'm not sure with the lack of talent that this isn't a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Hopefully, they don't force things and go for it in a year they don't have the horses like last year.
Some of the names on that list are already fairly impressive considering their age. Regardless, it is still way too early to make a final assessment on any 16 and 17 year old playing against players 3, 4 and 5 years older than them.

Every young player matures and develops at different rates. Excluding some of the exceptional players in the OHL, players needs at least 3 years to establish the type of player they will be in the OHL or as a possible pro. Individually, the IceDogs 03 and 02 have shown significant progress from where they were at the start of the season and have continued to improve. The majority of these players were drafted into the league with excellent scouting reports and high upsides. So there is no reason to believe they won’t continue to develop and evolve into quality players. The play of the team is another conversation.

However, I do agree that should they not develop as expected, flipping Tynan, Butler and Uberti would be a smart move but we won’t actually know that for another 2 years.

Last edited by Blacksox; 03-03-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members

Quote:
I agree 100%. This is part of the reason the team is doing so poorly. While other teams like Guelph are young and full of high end talent, we are young and full of middle to late round drafted players. I sometimes wonder if any players on our current roster will be on the team when we go for it again, with the exception of our 16 year olds perhaps being OA’s.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I agree 100%. This is part of the reason the team is doing so poorly. While other teams like Guelph are young and full of high end talent, we are young and full of middle to late round drafted players. I sometimes wonder if any players on our current roster will be on the team when we go for it again, with the exception of our 16 year olds perhaps being OA’s.
There is a really long list of OHL players who were not nearly the same players at 19 (or even 18) that they were at 16 (or 17).
Old 03-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I agree 100%. This is part of the reason the team is doing so poorly. While other teams like Guelph are young and full of high end talent, we are young and full of middle to late round drafted players.
...Guelph were also unable to trade away some of their high end talent (NTC) so of course they remain competitive. IceDogs, were a pretty good team before the trade deadline, but traded away their high end talent. Had the IceDogs not done that, albeit a very short sighted move, they would probably have won the Central Division got the number 2 seed - and won a playoff round. I don’t think anyone on here wanted that. IceDogs have the picks to build a championship team. That is what everyone wanted and that is what they did. Patience is required now.

#promoteBB

Last edited by Blacksox; 03-03-2020 at 02:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 02:57 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,082 Times in 1,298 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Some of the names on that list are already fairly impressive considering their age. Regardless, it is still way too early to make a final assessment on any 16 and 17 year old playing against players 3, 4 and 5 years older than them.

Every young player matures and develops at different rates. Excluding some of the exceptional players in the OHL, players needs at least 3 years to establish the type of player they will be in the OHL or as a possible pro. Individually, the IceDogs 03 and 02 have shown significant progress from where they were at the start of the season and have continued to improve. The majority of these players were drafted into the league with excellent scouting reports and high upsides. So there is no reason to believe they won’t continue to develop and evolve into quality players. The play of the team is another conversation.

However, I do agree that should they not develop as expected, flipping Tynan, Butler and Uberti would be a smart move but we won’t actually know that for another 2 years.

I don't have the time, nor do I feel like looking into it, but what does Barrie look like as a comparable? It appears they are younger, have more top end talent, have just a full of a draft cupboard and don't have BB at the helm.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
I don't have the time, nor do I feel like looking into it, but what does Barrie look like as a comparable? It appears they are younger, have more top end talent, have just a full of a draft cupboard and don't have BB at the helm.
Barrie is doing well with their rebuild but they also started the process of accumulating assets a couple of years earlier then the IceDogs current rebuild. So they should be further along.

However, to my original point, let’s give this rebuild at least 2-3 years to assess it fairly. The issue with BB is something I hope they address in the off season.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:44 PM
Team Captain

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Barrie is doing well with their rebuild but they also started the process of accumulating assets a couple of years earlier then the IceDogs current rebuild. So they should be further along.

However, to my original point, let’s give this rebuild at least 2-3 years to assess it fairly. The issue with BB is something I hope they address in the off season.
We are going to give this team one more season and if they are just as bad next year, We, like a few fans around us at the rink are going to say goodbye.
And, we have been here since the beginning, almost.

This is the end result of running this team and it's future with the heart and not the head or brain.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:50 PM
Team Captain

dogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond reputedogs777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
We are going to give this team one more season and if they are just as bad next year, We, like a few fans around us at the rink are going to say goodbye.
And, we have been here since the beginning, almost.

This is the end result of running this team and it's future with the heart and not the head or brain.
Wow if you’re only willing to give a team at the beginning of its rebuild until next year that’s pretty bad considering they’ll likely only be a little better how many teams go from 9th/10th year one of the rebuild to much better the following year? Not many if any realistically this team is probably 7th-8th team next year
Old 03-03-2020, 03:56 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
Wow if you’re only willing to give a team at the beginning of its rebuild until next year that’s pretty bad considering they’ll likely only be a little better how many teams go from 9th/10th year one of the rebuild to much better the following year? Not many if any realistically this team is probably 7th-8th team next year
The most important part of my post was and please note::::::: if they are just as bad next year