Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,850    Downloads: 2,832,969   Msgs Posted: 140,832   Thread Views: 47,941,668   Online Now: 139
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Recognizing that the draft process is a team effort, what grade would you assign?
A - team got the best possible results 3 30.00%
B - not bad but could have done better 6 60.00%
C - average results nothing stellar 1 10.00%
D - seriously under-performed 0 0%
F - failure, complete miss 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 PM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to behold

I agree Blacksox but you are assuming they even knew about these players. How much scouting is done in the USA. The scouting staff is not a large one and it would be interesting to see how many games they actually saw south of the border. Recruiting takes time , effort and money. I have been told by those close to the organization how good a recruiter Roger MacLeod is. Are they allowing him to use that skill?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM
1st Line

maddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond reputemaddog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
I agree Blacksox but you are assuming they even knew about these players. How much scouting is done in the USA. The scouting staff is not a large one and it would be interesting to see how many games they actually saw south of the border. Recruiting takes time , effort and money. I have been told by those close to the organization how good a recruiter Roger MacLeod is. Are they allowing him to use that skill?
Well, if you are saying they didnt know about him, then someone should be fired ASAP.
Its obvious you have not been following Blacksox detailed scouting reports of players eligible for the draft.
Go back to page 1 of this thread and you will see Filak name as a high end 1st or 2nd round talent, per Blacksox.
Note: Blacksox is not a scout nor getting paid so you're reason really doesn't make sense?
How does Blacksox know about these Americans and scouts getting paid by the team dont?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,934 Times in 2,020 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
You're right! The IceDogs don't have any US scouts listed on their Hockey Operation pages. A few years ago they had 2 or 3 US scouts listed. Head of US scouting maybe a perfect fit for Mike Pelino - he can do a lot of his work from home . Almost all these players games' can be viewed online and in many cases these US players can be viewed at tournaments (in the US and Canada) with their club teams or during international competition. If I can view these players play, the IceDogs must be able to do the same. I would hope.

Just for fun

No complaints with the IceDogs selections Round 1-6. There are never any guarantees and hind-sight will often prove OHL teams wrong with some selections, but the IceDogs selected 6 players with upside – so can’t complain about that.

However, using my draft board (selecting the “best available player”) these would have been my selections in round 7-15.

Honestly, hope the IceDogs are right. I would love nothing more than to be wrong!

MY PICKS:
7 Zach Filiak F (6.01) NCAA Univ Michigan State
8 Harrison Ballard F (6.00 / 170) OMHA – ETA or Tucker Shedd D (6.00 / 181)
9 Vinny Borgesi D (5.10 / 150) 2020 USA Youth Olympic / NCAA Northeastern Univ.
10 NO PICK
11 Owen Melhenbacher F (6.02 / 175) Muskegon Lumberjacks USHL or Patrick Czarnecki F (5.10 / 170) NCAA UMass Amherst
12 Devin Kaplan F NTDP (6.03 / 200) NCAA Boston University or Chase Pietila D (6.02 / 150) Lincoln Stars USHL
13 NO PICK
14 *Greg Spitznagel F (6.02 / 200) Didn’t know about him prior to the draft, but what I’ve read I like. This could be a sneaky good pick.
15 Seamus Powell D NTDP (5.11/ 150)

ICEDOGS PICKS Round:
7 Kailin Chen F (5.08 / 161)
8 Ryan Conmy F (5.09 / 171)
9 Stivie Li F (5.06 / 185)
10 NO PICK
11 Illia Chmelevski F (5.08 / 150)
12 Lucas Littlejohn D (5.10 / 154)
13 NO PICK
14 Greg Spitznagel F (6.02 / 200)
15 William Godfrey D (5.10 / 171)

Last edited by Blacksox; 05-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:46 AM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to behold

I have been following Blacksox and you just repeated my exact point. The Ice Dogs do not have a US Scout at this time. Therein might lie the problem. As far as firing someone .. who do you fire .. the GM (can't owners son), the coach (can't owners son), the Director of Scouting (can't close friend of the owner). Perhaps the answer is to hire Blacksox. He seems all knowledgeable on all players on both sides of the border and Europe as well. He is likely a retired NHL scout by the sounds of it so perhaps this is the answer for the Ice Dogs. He sounds like a big fan of the team and he has all this information that the Ice Dogs did not have to pay for. Maybe they could draft off of this Fan Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to modaymorninggm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been following Blacksox and you just repeated my exact point. The Ice Dogs do not have a US Scout at this time. Therein might lie the problem. As far as firing someone .. who do you fire .. the GM (can't owners son), the coach (can't owners son), the Director of Scouting (can't close friend of the owner). Perhaps the answer is to hire Blacksox. He seems all knowledgeable on all players on both sides of the border and Europe as well. He is likely a retired NHL scout by the sounds of it so perhaps this is the answer for the Ice Dogs. He sounds like a big fan of the team and he has all this information that the Ice Dogs did not have to pay for. Maybe they could draft off of this Fan Forum
Like the idea, but who is Blacksox?
Old 05-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,391 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 G! View Post
Like the idea, but who is Blacksox?
Now,,, that is a great question
Old 05-05-2020, 01:29 PM
3rd Line

NachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to beholdNachoLou is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
I’d like to agree with you but we are talking about a team whose GM left and a coach that is terrible but yet Sarnia are able to recruit Zach Filak. This kids could have been recruited. IceDogs missed an opportunity for a big time talent. It’s unbelievable! They take no chances. Joey, trust what you have to offer.

I wish I could have made selections 7-15 for the IceDogs.
Wasn't Halliday taking a chance?
Old 05-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Team Captain

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoLou View Post
Wasn't Halliday taking a chance?
Halliday is not really a good example of “taking a chance”. Halliday was not a late round pick, he was playing in the GTHL and at the time had no NCAA commitment - and in his own words was thrilled to be drafted by the IceDogs.
St.Catharines Standard (2018) He (Stephen Halliday) was thrilled to hear his name called by the IceDogs in a draft that was being conducted online. "I wanted to go to a really good organization," he said. "I'm very happy that Niagara picked me, they're an unreal organization. "I'm glad to be a part of it."

As for as taking a chance - referring more so to players primarily US born or playing in the US, with NCAA commitments, who don’t tip their hand as to where they might be willing to play. Without looking through their past drafts, a few better examples of taking a swing were players such as Josh Norris, Blake Seibenalar and to a lesser extent Anthony Difruscia or maybe even Anthony Agostinelli.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Grump

Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,244 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Halliday is not really a good example of “taking a chance”. Halliday was not a late round pick, he was playing in the GTHL and at the time had no NCAA commitment - and in his own words was thrilled to be drafted by the IceDogs.
St.Catharines Standard (2018) He (Stephen Halliday) was thrilled to hear his name called by the IceDogs in a draft that was being conducted online. "I wanted to go to a really good organization," he said. "I'm very happy that Niagara picked me, they're an unreal organization. "I'm glad to be a part of it."
The hope for Halliday and the fantasy for Fantilli, yet neither came this way. At least with Fantilli it wasn't a wasted pick but if any team was poised to take him this year, the Cinderella story should have been Niagara not Saginaw, late in the first round.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
The hope for Halliday and the fantasy for Fantilli, yet neither came this way. At least with Fantilli it wasn't a wasted pick but if any team was poised to take him this year, the Cinderella story should have been Niagara not Saginaw, late in the first round.
Obviously, we would have loved to see Fantilli become an IceDog, but with the conditions and risks attached to selecting him it was a wise move to select Pano Fimis and not take any chances with #2 pick overall. Fimis is high-end talent who can be an IceDogs for the next 4 maybe 5 years and be someone who could have a career similar to Andrew Agozzino. I think IceDog fans would gladly take that over the uncertainty of Fantilli.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post: