Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,255    Downloads: 849,228   Msgs Posted: 115,086   Thread Views: 17,359,135   Online Now: 77
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,166 Times in 695 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I also agree with you Dawger on everything that you wrote except for the Davis boys.
Good input.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,312 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying. So because the team lost half the games they played, that proves the coach lost control. If that is the case, I guess half of the coaches in the OHL have lost control of their team.
I am saying that team was far too talented to have the record they had in the regular season.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,316 Times in 729 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I am saying that team was far too talented to have the record they had in the regular season.

Could not agree more.

Their first couple of months were dreadful.

Cost them a banner in the rafters ...

Marty as coach was time to go. He would've been a nightmare with this youth based roster. Even die-hard Marty supporters would have to say he isn't the greatest at developing young players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
When Williamson was let go, most of the fans I spoke to did not think it was the right move. Out of the 6 people I spoke to, only one thought firing Williamson was the right move. As well, there was a letter in the newspaper against the firing and as a person who listens to CKTB, I can tell you a few fans called the radio station to voice their displeasure. While I know some fans thought it was the right move, many did not.
There were lots of rumors flying around when he was let go. The fact is he was given free rein to do whatever he needed to do to make it to the Memorial Cup and he failed at it. He didn't win the division, he didn't win the conference and it was a huge surprise to all of us that we went as far as we did even though we had the talent. I liked the guy but he lost the room and couldn't pull the trigger on players that needed it for the betterment of the team. There were dressing room issues all season long that he didn't address and I can see that being frustrating for the owners.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

pup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond reputepup96 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I agree with majority of this post the only thing I wouldn't do is keep the Davis kids other than that I agree with everything else you said
Cal Davis was a good minor hockey player who didn't make the transition to junior hockey with the Ice Dogs. Hayden Davis was not improving either, he was making the same basic mistakes in his second year that he was in his first. Does that make them bad hockey players? Nope not at all just the dynamics in Niagara werent what they needed. Obviously there was a market for both of them and hopefully they both shine on their new teams but keeping them here was not the right move and Joey Burke did a great job in moving them for extra picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to pup96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other membersNewdawgsfan is well liked by the other members

With Matt Philip being out for the rest of the season and now Kyle Langdon being out for half of the remainder of the regular season we are down 2 centres. I noticed the last 2 nights that Bell has put Jones out for a few face-offs and then he has gone straight to the bench. That got me to thinking about how our face-offs have been this year, compared with last year when we had 3 very experienced centres in Maletta, Harper and Knott. Given the importance of face-off wins to the game either end of the ice I looked up some stats comparing the guys. Makes interesting reading.

This year the centres with most FO experience are Jones, Langdon, Philip and Brack in that order. Details are:

Name DOB Ht Wt FOA FOW FO% FO/gm

Jones 1999 60 167 938 483 51.5 19.1
Langdon 1998 511 185 831 396 47.7 16.0
Philip 1999 511 175 563 287 51.0 12.5
Brack 1996 511 205 202 86 42.6 3.8

If you look at Jones and Philip compared with other top draft eligible (1999) centres this year who see significant minutes and hence significant FO/game their numbers stack up well:

Name Team Ht Wt FOA FOW FO% FO/gm

Schnarr Guelph 63 166 723 362 50.1 19.5
Meireles Kitchener 510 163 670 311 46.4 14.3
Thomas London 511 177 862 500 58.0 17.2
ChmelevskiOttawa 511 190 559 311 55.6 14.3
Gallant Petes 62 185 913 550 60.2 17.9
Frost SSM 511 160 670 347 51.8 12.9

Jones has taken the most FO of all draft eligible players this year, is 2nd on FO per game (to Schnarr) and both Philip and Jones are above the 50% threshold (Jones is 6th and Philip is 10th in FO percentage for all 99s).

How does that compare to last year?

Name DOB Ht Wt FOA FOW FO% FO/gm

Maletta 1995 63 215 1558 848 54.4 22.9
Harper 1995 63 215 634 312 49.2 9.3
Knott 1997 64 195 357 188 52.7 8.1

Despite Harper and Knott being older, taller and heavier, Jones & Philip compare well against them for FO/gm and FO percentage. But Maletta really was the FO King! Staggering overall # of FO in the season, # per game and FO %. Which is why Marty relied on him so heavily in critical situations. Hopefully both our 99 centres can bulk up over the summer and get to the 54-55% level and be of value in the FO circle next year. When I played I was a centre, and looking at how many FO per game Jones & Langdon take it also makes you appreciate how tiring that can be on your body and how impressive all of our centres are at keeping going for all 3 periods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 PM
1st Line

the dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud of

Nate Mcdonald g commit to Niagara university purple eagles...
Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 PM
2nd Line

Red is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to beholdRed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
Nate Mcdonald g commit to Niagara university purple eagles...
Well that's a waste! If your academic dreams are resting on NU I'd say aim higher bro!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:47 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,316 Times in 729 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup96 View Post
Cal Davis was a good minor hockey player who didn't make the transition to junior hockey with the Ice Dogs. Hayden Davis was not improving either, he was making the same basic mistakes in his second year that he was in his first. Does that make them bad hockey players? Nope not at all just the dynamics in Niagara werent what they needed. Obviously there was a market for both of them and hopefully they both shine on their new teams but keeping them here was not the right move and Joey Burke did a great job in moving them for extra picks.

Gotta say I'm liking what I have seen thus far with maxsimov ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,715 Times in 818 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

According to Mark Seidel of NA Central Scouting‏ - Kiril Maksimov and Stephen Dhillon are two of the fastest rising players in the 2017 NHL Draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post: