Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,159    Downloads: 832,083   Msgs Posted: 111,336   Thread Views: 16,651,555   Online Now: 64
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,312 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!
Default Haydon moves forward

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-moves-forward
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

Would be interested in people's opinion of whether they think this has worked? It appears that Bell was trying to give him a chance at a contract as a Forward, and hopefully help get us some goals. But has it worked?

Well, after 8 games the Dogs are tied for last place in the East with 6 pts (tied with North Bay, Mississauga and Oshawa - but all 3 have played 1 fewer game). I think we are actually playing better than I thought we would, given that we ice a team that has 11 rookies and 3 99s that are barely more than rookies if we count their ice-time last year.

We seem to be scoring pretty well - better than most predicted - with 3.1 goals/game (best is Hamilton at 5.9). This puts us tied for 6th in the conference with Oshawa and Sudbury and better than Barrie and Kingston. But our defence is an issue, as we let in 3.8 goals/game (best is Hamilton at 3.3). However, surprisingly, this actually makes us tied for 4th with the Petes, and way above others like Oshawa (at 5.3/game).

If you look at our games, we have lost several points by letting in late goals and showing inexperience once we get a lead. If we could keep scoring at this rate (but that will drop obviously if we trade Knott - which is a must in my view) and shore up the D to reduce these errors then we could easily get into the play-offs.

When we look at the Forwards who have played on the top 3 lines then the lowest performing player (despite a ton of ice-time) is Haydon. His pts/game are 0.13, making him far behind all of the rookies (except Cal Davis - who played only 3 games with little ice - and MacPherson - who has played 1 game). Compare that with Knott (1.6), Machala (1), Corneil & Mantha (0.88), Thomas (0.75), Jones (0.6) and Paquette (0.57). But, in Haydon's favor is his shots on net (18), which puts him 4th behind Mantha, Paquette & Corneil.

Looking at that suggests he is not going to get a contract any easier as a winger than a D? Given how we need help to bring along the rookie Defence and that the rookie Forwards seem to be doing well, does it not make more sense to move Haydon back and open up a F slot in the top 9 for others who are simply better in that spot?

He is a big body and I cannot help but think he would benefit the team as a D more than a F, and the above stats seem to confirm that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

It is my hope that with the now opening for another over-ager, that they bring in a defenseman who would be good for the team on the ice and in the room.
He would not cost an arm and a leg, I believe.
That would let them keep Haydon at the forward position. It became really apparent that they missed him last night after he was ejected on that crappy call.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,189 Times in 658 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I like what he is bringing to the table actually. Sure he's not going to score. Not all of your forwards are going to score.
He is very physical on the forechecking. He's a big guy. I almost guarantee some defensemen are hearing footsteps when he's on the ice.

I'd rather see him stay forward and let the young d develop by getting ice time.

I honestly could care less about wins and losses. This year is about development and eventually trading away our top veterans. Playoffs be damned IMHO.

I could see them going with only two OA the rest of the year (until deadline where we then have basically
None). They've done that (two OA) before. And I for one would welcome that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to behold

Then go 'all-in' trad'em for pick then now, wait, his stock is low.
Conundrum.

I expect all my forwards to score, simple.
I saw that hit, it was bad. Goggles guys.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

A highly competent defenceman would make a world of difference. What I wouldn't give to get a veteran D-man that confidently knew what he was doing.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyp3t3 View Post
Then go 'all-in' trad'em for pick then now, wait, his stock is low.
Conundrum.

I expect all my forwards to score, simple.
I saw that hit, it was bad. Goggles guys.
I definitely thought it was a penalty but thought it should of been called a charge and didn't think it was worth 5 minutes
Old 10-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to beholddogs777 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
A highly competent defenceman would make a world of difference. What I wouldn't give to get a veteran D-man that confidently knew what he was doing.
They have one but he's playing as a third line winger
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I just quickly went looking at the rosters of all of the OHL teams (players on the rosters today).
There may not be much available, I think.

There are 2 teams that currently are carrying 4 over-agers.
Kingston has 4. 2 forwards being Cody Caron and Warren Foegele
2 Defence being Nathan Billitick and Stephen Desrochers.

Windsor also has 4 . 2 forwards being Jeremiah Addisson and Christiano DiGiacinto.
2 defence being Patrick Sanvido and Jalen Chatfield.

Things can change every hour in this league but, from my very quick search, only two teams have 4 OA's

The Ice Dogs would no doubt have to get creative to obtain an over ager.

There are 4 other teams in the league that are carrying 2 over-age defenders and maybe one of those team might be willing to move on of them so that they could get more ice time.

Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
I just quickly went looking at the rosters of all of the OHL teams (players on the rosters today).
There may not be much available, I think.

There are 2 teams that currently are carrying 4 over-agers.
Kingston has 4. 2 forwards being Cody Caron and Warren Foegele
2 Defence being Nathan Billitick and Stephen Desrochers.

Windsor also has 4 . 2 forwards being Jeremiah Addisson and Christiano DiGiacinto.
2 defence being Patrick Sanvido and Jalen Chatfield.

Things can change every hour in this league but, from my very quick search, only two teams have 4 OA's

The Ice Dogs would no doubt have to get creative to obtain an over ager.

There are 4 other teams in the league that are carrying 2 over-age defenders and maybe one of those team might be willing to move on of them so that they could get more ice time.

Just a thought.
Kingston and Windsor have to lose one each so maybe the dogs can manage to get one don't forget they have the possibility of getting one from one of the other leagues (QMJHL or WHL) or even JR.B
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post: