Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,097    Downloads: 817,968   Msgs Posted: 109,595   Thread Views: 16,058,788   Online Now: 85
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 PM
3rd Line

Resonator is a jewel in the roughResonator is a jewel in the roughResonator is a jewel in the rough

As someone who grew up in Ottawa I can't tell you how many times all those pre-season games between Ottawa and Hull lead to massive brawls and players suspensions. Things got nasty. The Hull fans who were very much federal supporters in the PQ elections up there (and when they played other Quebec teams they were pro-Canada) suddenly became very nationalistic whenever the "English boys" from Ontario would cross the border to play hockey. They were loud and obnoxious as were the 67's fans whenever they came over to Ottawa. Blood baths were normal occurrences and the 67's won 75% of the games! lol Then the Olympiques changed to Gatineau and inter-league regular season games started up and although it wasn't as bad, things were still heated. I know I went to every single one of the games. I think they stopped doing them cause of all the fights. It'll be interesting to see how things go this year when things resume.

As for Toronto, I'd love a team here but that'll never happen. The OHL won't work in any GTA market IMO. People here are far too narcissistic to allow themselves love a game that isn't the Maple Leafs!
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,078 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
As for Toronto, I'd love a team here but that'll never happen. The OHL won't work in any GTA market IMO. People here are far too narcissistic to allow themselves love a game that isn't the Maple Leafs!
Oshawa is both GTA and successful with their OHL team. I believe York could have success based on the same "regional" perspective as Niagara.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
3rd Line

Resonator is a jewel in the roughResonator is a jewel in the roughResonator is a jewel in the rough

The reason why Oshawa works is because of community identity and a more wider sense of self sufficiency from bigger urban centers near them. Oshawa has been around the league for eons and are and have always been the team" in that city. Oshawa is part of Durham county and most people there don't consider themselves part of Toronto or GTA. My wife is from Pickering and it was a fairly small city when she was growing up in the 80's/90's.

York region to me us just a huge subburban extension of the city but still has a Toronto feel. I don't get that vibe in Oshawa at all. I am skeptical it would work but maybe it's worth a try to brand a York Revels team of some sort up that way.
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
2nd Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

I know Oshawa had/has this knickname, but didn't know this:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=dirty%20shwa
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,078 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
York region to me us just a huge subburban extension of the city but still has a Toronto feel. I don't get that vibe in Oshawa at all. I am skeptical it would work but maybe it's worth a try to brand a York Revels team of some sort up that way.
I think thirty years ago, York was overjoyed to be Toronto's little brother and welcomed the chance to tag along. In the past ten years I have noticed a different sentiment in York, where they want their own identity.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Top Prospect

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Oshawa is both GTA and successful with their OHL team. I believe York could have success based on the same "regional" perspective as Niagara.
I agree with Resonator here on not believing that Oshawa is part of the GTA. I have family in Oshawa and they do not for one second believe that they are part of the GTA.
Sorry Nicedawg but I respectfully have to disagree with you.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

York and Durham are "officially" in GTA but your right my family in Aurora would never consider themselves part of Toronto in any form. I think it could work there.