Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,422    Downloads: 1,188,256   Msgs Posted: 121,108   Thread Views: 21,324,309   Online Now: 90
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related

Notices

General Chit Chat - Sports or Niagara related General sports talk or any discussions about topics within the Niagara Region

Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,361 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!
Default Re-elect Rick Dykstra ?

Ok, I see in his newspaper overlay that he has listed points on what he wants to do if elected another 5 yrs.

Why doesn't he say what he has SPECIFICALLY DONE in the last 5 ?

Can we vote blindly for someone again who can't even say "I MADE THIS happen while I was in office." ??

People not in office up for election CAN say what they want to do. People IN office up for re-election should boast what they HAVE DONE as a reason to stay in, instead of just saying what they want to do.

*I* (Alphadog) want to make government more transparent, want to invest in our local economy, give regular public statements on how money was spent and will be spent, and want to invest in health and education. Elect me.

(how am I any different from the rest?)

Pick a specific target to focus on and rally around that. Show us WHAT YOU DID as we paid your salary the last x years. Don't leave all that out and just type out your future dreams for us to read. C'mon Rick - get specific on something.

Has he done anything to help getting a new arena here by the way?? What did he accomplish the last 5 yrs in this matter? In 2007 we were going to games at the Garden City arena. in 2012 will we be doing the same? I think so! He has a Go IceDogs graphic on his site, but that doesn't build rinks.

Have the feds done anything to increase business growth NOT in the GTA ? If so there must be invisible paint used on all those factories and warehouses and what not that have been constructed as a result of new growth in this area.

Re-elect Rick Dysktra? WHY RICK! WHY!? TELL US WHAT YOU'VE DONE AND I'LL THINK ABOUT IT !

I got just as fired up in the last municipal elections over the same stuff. Everyone stating what they want to do, with no specific points on how to do it, and everyone IN office stating what they want to do in the future instead of being able to go back on their track record and list what they've accomplished.

Last edited by AlphaDog; 04-28-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM
4th Line

scorpion is on a distinguished road
Default Lots of reasons to re-elect Dykstra

If you recieved his first big ad of the election, it listed all sorts of things that he's accomplished in his first five years. He's helped bring nearly 300 million dollars in federal investment to St. Catharines and everywhere you look, you see construction underway. He sponsored private members bills that eventually passed, getting rid of the faint hope clause and 2 for 1 sentencing, therefore ensuring serious criminals serve their actual sentences instead getting time off or getting out early. Why don't you go to his website www.rickdykstra.com and check it out for youself. He's also gotten endorsements from lots of high profile people and groups in this city, including Bill Burke, the Seafarer's Union and the Teamsters, so do a little research Alpha Dog, you'll find lots of reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Maybe I'll vote for him then. Although part of the reason simply because I haven't heard much from the other candidates. But I've seen a lot of big companies pack up and leave town in the last while, and it doesn't seem as though the current gov has done much to keep them.

Heck, I just read in yesterday's paper the government even got rid of the import taxes on large ships, which has allowed all our shipping companies to buy Chinese ships instead of good Canadian-built ones like those constructed in Port Weller. So they've got some ships employ a crew of a dozen, and say goodbye to the thousand workers that used to build them.

Seems this government is doing everything they can to lose construction/manufacturing jobs. That removal of the import tax on ships is paving the way to more Chinese imports. Maybe we'll be able to by large ships at Walmart or Canadian Tire soon. They sell everything else from overseas...

$300M in fed money is great, but a community can't live off fed money. We can't build a new hospital every 5 years. We need private sector growth. We need to start manufacturing things again.

And of course the Seafarer's Union endorses him if they can all buy cheaper Chinese products now instead of Canadian ships.

I changed my mind... that elimination of the import tax really pissed me off when I read it in the paper. The Chinese are said to soon be coming out with a very cheap compact car - maybe along with the shipyards we can also close up all the GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/Honda factories here and have cheap Chinese cars brought in along with their boats.

Protect the manufacturing sector Rick. Doesn't seem like your gov has done squat about it yet.

Time to oust 'em from position.

(and fed money is going to come to needy communities no matter who's in power - don't give Rick too much credit for doing something that probably would have happened anyway).

Last edited by AlphaDog; 05-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
SysOp

From Andrew Gill's (Liberal MP) site:

Quote:
The Federal Government has recently announced that it was scrapping the mandatory long-form census. The decision would make Canada the only country in the world with a voluntary census. This decision is wrong and it hurts St. Catharines. Voluntary census responses lead to fewer responses and inaccurate information will lead to groups being underrepresented.
Yah... a 'voluntary' part of the census containing critical info. Good work PCs. Really good way to get important demographics and info on your communities [source link]

From Andrew Gill's site:

Quote:
Today, I am declaring that I will follow the lead of Scarborough Liberal MP Michelle Simson, who has been the only MP to post her expenses on her website, and do the same if elected a Member of Parliament.
Granted, all the MPs expenses don't make up a large chunk of the federal budget, but it shows HONESTY, and that goes a long way into other things.

Last edited by AlphaDog; 05-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
3rd Line

More Cowbell Please will become famous soon enoughMore Cowbell Please will become famous soon enough

Andrew Gill is at most IceDogs games with family or friends cheering away, popcorn in hand. He is pro-arena and wants to see it happen in the city. I saw Dykstra at the last game standing by an exit door with that silly grin on his face. I asked him how he liked this arena experience and he ignored me.
The Following User Says Thank You to More Cowbell Please For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
SysOp

I think ALL people in the area want a new rink. They just haven't tackled the problem of funding.

I can see both sides. If we get $30M of gov money for a new rink, then every city across the country will have to get the same.

Maybe they should write up a bill. "Any city with a population of 100,000+ with it's largest arena being smaller than 5,000 seats and an age of over 50yrs can apply for funding"