Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,120    Downloads: 826,793   Msgs Posted: 110,591   Thread Views: 16,349,700   Online Now: 63
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Should there be fighting in OHL hockey?
Yes - it is part of the game 13 68.42%
No - it does not belong 2 10.53%
Who cares! 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to wait that long, 777. How often was McDavid targeted by opposing players while in Erie? Did the Dogs need a goon for Ho-Sang? Or Strome? Pietrangelo?
I just don't think one-dimensional meatbags have a guaranteed spot anymore. Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Toews, Keith, Kopitar, where are their protectors? Why do all these teams take such risks of their stars, their multimillionaire franchise players being abused?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
You don't have to wait that long, 777. How often was McDavid targeted by opposing players while in Erie? Did the Dogs need a goon for Ho-Sang? Or Strome? Pietrangelo?
I just don't think one-dimensional meatbags have a guaranteed spot anymore. Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Toews, Keith, Kopitar, where are their protectors? Why do all these teams take such risks of their stars, their multimillionaire franchise players being abused?
Mcdavid was targeted every game and he was hit as much and as hard as possible teams just struggled to catch him I wouldn't put Ho-Sang in the same category as the others at least not yet yes he has the speed but he doesn't have the shot that the others do and you better believe the teams would have other players fighting or throwing the body way more than those stars you mentioned
The Following User Says Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2016, 08:16 AM

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,121 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

People chased Josh Ho Sang around plenty and you're right, without any consequences now or in the future, why wouldn't you? Head hunting becomes a low risk / high reward activity.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
People chased Josh Ho Sang around plenty and you're right, without any consequences now or in the future, why wouldn't you? Head hunting becomes a low risk / high reward activity.
If I was the other teams I wouldn't of chased him but that's just me
Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM
1st Line

Dogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Both teams would do it then. You still have the self enforcement that you think it such an important part of the game.

Deliberately punching somebody in the head with bare knuckles can permanently damage a person. The stats from the NHL also prove it shortens lives. Knowing these facts, I just don't find the whole thing entertaining any more.

I realize I am in the minority on this issue.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,121 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
Both teams would do it then. You still have the self enforcement that you think it such an important part of the game.

Deliberately punching somebody in the head with bare knuckles can permanently damage a person. The stats from the NHL also prove it shortens lives. Knowing these facts, I just don't find the whole thing entertaining any more.

Lot's of things can both cause injuries and shorten lives. There has never been a shortage of player candidates or OHL/NHL fans. No one is forced to play under these rules and as a fan I guess you have choices too
Old 09-17-2016, 11:20 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,352 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post

I really don't want this to be a fight vs. no-fight debate, but there's been very few serious injuries of the tens of thousands of fights that have happened in the NHL. Bodychecking on the other hand has ended many 'a career.

So if anyone really wants to look at making the game safer, they'd do better eliminating hitting and keeping fighting

I'm a traditionalist so obviously I'm against changing the game from the game I grew up with. I'm sure the younger crowd would probably find old-school hockey barbaric and to unsafe. I guess I'm just getting old.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:45 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog View Post
I really don't want this to be a fight vs. no-fight debate, but there's been very few serious injuries of the tens of thousands of fights that have happened in the NHL. Bodychecking on the other hand has ended many 'a career.

So if anyone really wants to look at making the game safer, they'd do better eliminating hitting and keeping fighting

I'm a traditionalist so obviously I'm against changing the game from the game I grew up with. I'm sure the younger crowd would probably find old-school hockey barbaric and to unsafe. I guess I'm just getting old.
I'm one of those in the young crowd and I would rather see old time hockey (hard hitting and fights)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogs777 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 AM
1st Line

Dogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other membersDogs Enthusiast 104 is well liked by the other members

Quote:
I really don't want this to be a fight vs. no-fight debate,
Why not.

Good off season topic to keep us entertained!!!

Go Dogs!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

We should always remember that all of these new rules in the past few years have come from the team owners and that message is carried by David Branch.
The owners set the stage not, Branch. He may have a strong opinion on discussions but, the owners call the shots.

I can remember back in the day where hockey games could last almost 4 hours because of all of the stuff like bench clearing brawls, stick fights, and so on. There was blood spilled every game. I can also remember that if the goalie decided to stray from his crease, he would be creamed and a bench clearing would then occur again.

I am curious as to what the teams will do to get around these fighting suspensions and there is no doubt in my mind that each team has spent and will spend a lot of time to come up with ways to deal with serious offenders.

It is the increased stick work that I fear will now increase. The dumb and lazy slashing calls will become hard contact and most likely higher up on the bodies of opponents.
Thanks for all of the feedback!