Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,119    Downloads: 826,554   Msgs Posted: 110,549   Thread Views: 16,340,351   Online Now: 49
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

View Poll Results: Should there be fighting in OHL hockey?
Yes - it is part of the game 13 68.42%
No - it does not belong 2 10.53%
Who cares! 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Not very empirical, perhaps the drugs, alcohol and mental illness contributed to their proclivity for violence?
Chicken or the egg?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,117 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Chicken or the egg?
That's it exactly my friend.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Ahh but what about all the other "fighters" who didn't have the same consequences? Are the ones mentioned the exceptions or the rule? Junk science is where you take a very small sample size with uncontrolled variables and you interpret the results over the entire population. Find a few old ladies who lived to be 105 and smoked like a chimney for a century and you could say that tobacco extended their lives.

In order to have scientific validity, you're going to need to have samples from a much larger group, including hockey players who didn't fight, or those that did fight but never showed any ill effects.

We have come a long way from "goon hockey" where members were kept on the team with little talent other than fighting. Even the modern day enforcer is a skilled hockey player in most clubs. I am not a huge fan of staged fights and I agree wholeheartedly this should be a major penalty every time, same goes for the blitz attack on an unsuspecting player who does not "drop the gloves". Hockey is an aggressive game and when things happen to warrant a legitimate fight, and two players square off against each other, I recognize this as a part of the game.
Exactly what I said in an earlier post, fighting will always be "part" of the game. That's why in the OHL they are still allowed 3 "in the heat of battle" tilts. But, gone are the days of fighting for the sake of fighting. The game has evolved, some fans haven't.

Nowadays, you can either play the game or there isn't a spot for you on the roster. You can't make a team anymore by merely chuckin knuckles.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,117 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Exactly what I said in an earlier post, fighting will always be "part" of the game. That's why in the OHL they are still allowed 3 "in the heat of battle" tilts. But, gone are the days of fighting for the sake of fighting. The game has evolved, some fans haven't.

Nowadays, you can either play the game or there isn't a spot for you on the roster. You can't make a team anymore by merely chuckin knuckles.
I don't like putting a number on things, I guess that's where I don't like the new rule. Clamp down on the staged fights and the blindside blitz's against an unsuspecting player, make them each subject to suspension in the first instance and I doubt you'd hear a peep. What's left is the "heat of the moment", "throes of battle" type of skirmish where two people settle a dispute and then sit for five. Give the officials some instruction as well; how many times have we seen a player not drop his gloves, cover his face, or "turtle" and yet still take a turn in the sin bin.

Last edited by NiceDawg; 09-21-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
4th Line

MrCanuck has a spectacular aura aboutMrCanuck has a spectacular aura aboutMrCanuck has a spectacular aura about

Man the OHL is so much different than even 10 yrs. ago. Hitting is almost non-existent now (as players fear a suspension every time they hit someone).
I still think the fighting limit should have been left at 10. However, I'm more concerned with the lack of physical play (which is a big part of hockey).
David Branch has done a great job of taking most of the hitting out of the game. He has handed out suspensions numerous times for a clean hit (which is ridiculous).
You can actually see players line up a hit and then bail at the last moment. They are literally worried about getting suspended.
Pretty sad IMO.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCanuck View Post
Man the OHL is so much different than even 10 yrs. ago. Hitting is almost non-existent now (as players fear a suspension every time they hit someone).
I still think the fighting limit should have been left at 10. However, I'm more concerned with the lack of physical play (which is a big part of hockey).
David Branch has done a great job of taking most of the hitting out of the game. He has handed out suspensions numerous times for a clean hit (which is ridiculous).
You can actually see players line up a hit and then bail at the last moment. They are literally worried about getting suspended.
Pretty sad IMO.
We should always keep mind that David Branch carries the message of the 60 CHL teams. This would be the results that the owners especially in the OHL want.
I am not a Branch supporter in any form though.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 PM
4th Line

MrCanuck has a spectacular aura aboutMrCanuck has a spectacular aura aboutMrCanuck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired/sectionJ View Post
We should always keep mind that David Branch carries the message of the 60 CHL teams. This would be the results that the owners especially in the OHL want.
I am not a Branch supporter in any form though.
True. However, I think the WHL, QMJHL and OHL have different rules for things, no? For example, I don't thing the W or the Q has the 3 fight limit. Or am I mistaken?

Also, I just really HATE how players get suspended for CLEAN hits. It drives me friggin' nuts!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond reputeretired/sectionJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True. However, I think the WHL, QMJHL and OHL have different rules for things, no? For example, I don't thing the W or the Q has the 3 fight limit. Or am I mistaken?

Also, I just really HATE how players get suspended for CLEAN hits. It drives me friggin' nuts!!
I agree with you 100%. They either get penalized for a good hit or someone comes after them in retaliation.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 01:18 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

All three leagues have their own commissioners. There is no blind side hit penalty in the Q or WHL. Also there is no fight limit in the WHL and a 10 game fight limit in the Q but if you go over 10, you get a meeting with the commissioner but not necessarily a suspension. I watch WHL games over the internet and those games are way rougher than the OHL.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 PM
4th Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
All three leagues have their own commissioners. There is no blind side hit penalty in the Q or WHL. Also there is no fight limit in the WHL and a 10 game fight limit in the Q but if you go over 10, you get a meeting with the commissioner but not necessarily a suspension. I watch WHL games over the internet and those games are way rougher than the OHL.
That's what I thought. The OHL is becoming way too "soft" as a result. I have also watched WHL and QMJHL games, and you're correct, they are much rougher (a lot more hitting etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCanuck For This Useful Post: