Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,121    Downloads: 827,397   Msgs Posted: 110,636   Thread Views: 16,374,835   Online Now: 75
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marty's Legacy

From what I've seen already through only pre-season and one regular game, all indications tell me that we are in for a season of exciting ups and downs. Something that we would never have had if, no; I'll rephrase that.
Already we are seeing the benefits of the young pups getting some ice-time that I am confident in saying they never would have had under Williamson.
This is why I wanted to see Williamson step down last year. Now we will see what we have in Haydon Davis, Ben Jones, and all the kids who never even saw the ice last year. A very exciting future lies just ahead!

Last edited by NiceDawg; 09-27-2016 at 10:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 AM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter who was going to be coach of the dogs this year, Marty or Dave, they have no options but to play the guys we have available and that means mostly the young kids. Marty took a run at the Memorial Cup last year and fell just short. To do that, he had to use a lot of future assets to strengthen our team and now we are all paying for that decision. I for one, thought last years play-offs were great to watch and worth the gamble. I also knew that we would suffer for the next few years and I can live with that. I am sure that Marty's decision was not made without the support of the Burkes so we need to ease up on blaming Marty for all the problems and accept that we had a good run for the cup and now we have to go through a rebuilding year or two.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 12:07 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
From what I've seen already through only pre-season and one regular game, all indications tell me that we are in for a season of exciting ups and downs. Something that we would never have had if, no; I'll rephrase that.
Already we are seeing the benefits of the young pups getting some ice-time that I am confident in saying they never would have had under Williamson.
This is why I wanted to see Williamson step down last year. Now we will see what we have in Haydon Davis, Ben Jones, and all the kids who never even saw the ice last year. A very exciting future lies just ahead!
Even if Marty was around he'd still be playing the young guys cause that's all he would have
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 AM
3rd Line

Newdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud ofNewdawgsfan has much to be proud of

The ones that I actually feel sorry for are Davis and Jones. 1st Round picks last year who lost a year of development. Going into their draft year they are a year behind - and will now be playing on a team that does not give the support of many older guys to play with to help them overcome that backward step. If you look at other 1st rounders who played on weaker teams last year (so got more ice) and now are playing on stronger teams this year (as lost fewer players) then these 2 kids are likely to slip significantly in the draft.

Both played for Team Ontario at the Canada Winter Games, both made the Canada U-17 team, both 1st rounders - so obviously are talented players. But didn't make U-18s and have some catching up to look like 2nd year OHL players. Let's hope they can use this extra ice-time to keep scouts interested in their development.

Will be an interesting year for all the 99s and 98s who got passed over at the last draft. Certainly if they all work as hard as they did in game 1 then they have a chance of catching the scouts eyes. Big test next weekend against Hamilton - who were nowhere last year and are on fire so far, with 14 goals in 2 games. Hopefully Paquette and Knott will be back and we can put Hayden back to D to give us some experience at the back and keep the game tight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newdawgsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,123 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchar View Post
It doesn't matter who was going to be coach of the dogs this year, Marty or Dave, they have no options but to play the guys we have available and that means mostly the young kids. Marty took a run at the Memorial Cup last year and fell just short. To do that, he had to use a lot of future assets to strengthen our team and now we are all paying for that decision. I for one, thought last years play-offs were great to watch and worth the gamble. I also knew that we would suffer for the next few years and I can live with that. I am sure that Marty's decision was not made without the support of the Burkes so we need to ease up on blaming Marty for all the problems and accept that we had a good run for the cup and now we have to go through a rebuilding year or two.
The way the team was playing near the trade deadline, I thought we should have sold and regrouped. Marty got lucky that in the playoffs the team came together and started winning and we have a conference championship as a result - but it could have just as easily gone the other way and nobody here would have been surprised. Translation: it took until the eleventh hour for any sort of team cohesion to be demonstrated on ice; we mortgaged our future for a Memorial Cup win and fell short. The consequence: one unemployed head coach / GM.

On the bright side, this scrappy young club is already showing more signs of "team" than we saw last year.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
The way the team was playing near the trade deadline, I thought we should have sold and regrouped. Marty got lucky that in the playoffs the team came together and started winning and we have a conference championship as a result - but it could have just as easily gone the other way and nobody here would have been surprised. Translation: it took until the eleventh hour for any sort of team cohesion to be demonstrated on ice; we mortgaged our future for a Memorial Cup win and fell short. The consequence: one unemployed head coach / GM.

On the bright side, this scrappy young club is already showing more signs of "team" than we saw last year.
I wouldn't say we mortgaged the future look at the players they drafted that could make an impact this year and for years to come
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
I wouldn't say we mortgaged the future look at the players they drafted that could make an impact this year and for years to come
Look at our draft pick cupboard for the next few years...

Last edited by NiceDawg; 09-26-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added visual
Old 09-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If you think that's bad... look at barrie.. their last 2 big trades they shipped out 22 picks or somewhere in that range plus a body
Old 09-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:

You don't need a ton of picks to make a team that good you just have to make sure you use the picks you do have wisely
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs777 View Post
You don't need a ton of picks to make a team that good you just have to make sure you use the picks you do have wisely
I agree you don't need a ton of picks, but there is a vast difference between a second round draftee and a fifth. Even making the best possible choice per round we have left, isn't going to make up the deficit of skill that we can't draft. We may find a diamond in the rough in later rounds or take a flyer on a high ranked U.S. born who agrees to play for us, but beyond that the second and third-rounders are the bread and butter of developing your team.