Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,124    Downloads: 827,628   Msgs Posted: 110,708   Thread Views: 16,391,268   Online Now: 45
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,030 Times in 844 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

I always thought Marty was a better GM than coach. He put very talented teams on the ice, but his record in the finals of 1-12 is the bottom line IMO. I also thought if he couldn't win the OHL with 5 members of Team Canada on his team, I don't think he ever will.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to beholdStinkyp3t3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
I always thought Marty was a better GM than coach. He put very talented teams on the ice, but his record in the finals of 1-12 is the bottom line IMO. I also thought if he couldn't win the OHL with 5 members of Team Canada on his team, I don't think he ever will.
Team Canada didn't win with those 5 players either FF. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinkyp3t3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
I agree he was a good GM and IMO I think he should of remained as the GM even though they were going in a different direction coaching wise
Old 09-26-2016, 07:33 PM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

I had heard that he had been given the opportunity to retain the GM role but wanted both or nothing. It makes sense that they would want to keep him in the GM role because of his experience and also because they were going to have to pay him for the duration of his contract which I believe had two years left to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to conchar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,181 Times in 652 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchar View Post
I had heard that he had been given the opportunity to retain the GM role but wanted both or nothing. It makes sense that they would want to keep him in the GM role because of his experience and also because they were going to have to pay him for the duration of his contract which I believe had two years left to go.

I think I read somewhere when he was fired , probably in the subStandard, that he had one year left.

Too lazy to check but I'm pretty sure.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM
1st Line

the dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud ofthe dog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchar View Post
yes your right 2 years
Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

dogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to alldogs777 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I think I read somewhere when he was fired , probably in the subStandard, that he had one year left.

Too lazy to check but I'm pretty sure.
It's 2 years
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree, Conch. I think the biggest reason Williamson isn't currently Coach/GM of this team is because of major philosophical differences between himself and the Burke Boys. Although I understand the reasons behind Williamson's refusal to play the youngsters in favour of the veterans last year - and for the past few years, frankly - in order to go for a championship, the OHL is a developmental league, after all. It all finally came down to the Burkes disagreeing with the direction Williamson was taking the team in. Now, as it turned out, the Burkes also wanted the Boys to get coaching/management experience at the OHL level. I don't know, maybe Denise Burke felt like she could kill two birds with one stone.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

And i, too, had heard that Williamson was not interested in coming back unless he was going to be granted both jobs.
It may well have been that Williamson equally had no interest in remaining on as GM with the son of the owner as Head Coach, or remaining as HC with sons of the owner at Assistant Coach and GM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
I would disagree, Conch. I think the biggest reason Williamson isn't currently Coach/GM of this team is because of major philosophical differences between himself and the Burke Boys. Although I understand the reasons behind Williamson's refusal to play the youngsters in favour of the veterans last year - and for the past few years, frankly - in order to go for a championship, the OHL is a developmental league, after all. It all finally came down to the Burkes disagreeing with the direction Williamson was taking the team in. Now, as it turned out, the Burkes also wanted the Boys to get coaching/management experience at the OHL level. I don't know, maybe Denise Burke felt like she could kill two birds with one stone.
His direction was to make the playoffs year in year out and give them a shot at even more championships which you would think the Burkes would like cause that would bring them even more money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
And i, too, had heard that Williamson was not interested in coming back unless he was going to be granted both jobs.
It may well have been that Williamson equally had no interest in remaining on as GM with the son of the owner as Head Coach, or remaining as HC with sons of the owner at Assistant Coach and GM.
Neither son is head coach