Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,775    Downloads: 1,714,740   Msgs Posted: 132,783   Thread Views: 28,746,291   Online Now: 111
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,939 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post

Curious what you guys think of the systems and plays being taught (coached) to these young players?

Recently our game play appears to mimic the game of Hot Potato. No one wants to carry the puck more than three strides.
I made the same comment earlier this year. Skate-skate-skate-pass-to-no-one, or worse still take a shot from far away, that even I could stop.

What needs to be taught at this point is team defense. Niagara struggles to get the puck out of their own end. The teams defenders get overwhelmed and goals get scored. This was less of an issue when the team had a goaltender who could save them, but now that they have average goaltending, it is a clear issue. There is no sense having forwards in the neutral zone or hovering (disengaged) from the action if defenders can't get a puck out that far. They need to collapse, pick up a man, and fight for puck possession. Those long stretch passes are being intercepted, regularly.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:08 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,279 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
Iím not necessarily a big fan of the head coach either, but along with great coaches who made their teams and players successful, there is also a long list of great players that made their teams and coaches successful. IceDogs just need to draft, recruit and trade well over the next couple of seasons
I was referring to this weekend's team which scored zero goals in two out of town games this weekend and we were there in the stands watching. Since the trade deadline, I consider this team as a maybe super Junior B team playing against OHL teams.
The pains for the rebuild.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:25 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,223 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Niagara IceDogs 2019-20 (Week 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
For myself, I find it difficult to assess team play after the trade deadline. What is left of this team after the trades and injuries is essentially a case of boys vs men most nights. Before the trade deadline, they were winning games and the product, although imperfect, the team was competitive and very entertaining most nights. Today, although we see them struggle some shifts we also see progress in our young players on other shifts. Over the years, I’ve learned to accept the growing pains of a rebuild.

I agree

You can’t assess the coaching at this point

This team is a hodge podge of players and currently decimated by injury ...

Given the current roster, and the deficiencies of the head coach (which were painfully on display during the playoffs last year), I truly hope this combination drops us out of the playoffs.

Can you imagine if we drop to 8th and we have to face Ottawa four games in a row?

Pretty sure I won’t be wanting to watch that ....

Instead I would be thrilled with the #3 overall pick !!!

Make it happen BB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post

Pretty sure I won’t be wanting to watch that ....

Instead I would be thrilled with the #3 overall pick !!!

Make it happen BB!
On the off chance we make it to the playoffs, I won't be buying tickets to the two home games this year.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!
Default Niagara IceDogs 2019-20 (Week 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
On the off chance we make it to the playoffs, I won't be buying tickets to the two home games this year.

Another sunny south vacay planned for the end of March?

If they play SUD I will probably go simply to watch Byfield play... depends when the games are

If they play OTT I probably won’t go as I won’t want to pay money to watch a complete slaughter fest ... won’t depend when the games are

Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

We all said we wanted a rebuild this past off-season, and that’s exactly what we’re getting. We all need to take a much-longer range view of this team. The Dogs are in a situation where it absolutely does not benefit them to be winning hockey games right now. Neither a Phil Tomasino nor Akil Thomas were superstars right from day one in the OHL. They each took about two years to really blossom into what they were going to be. So even when the Dogs make their picks in the most important Draft in franchise history, it’s going to take well into their second seasons, if not their third, before we really see what the first fruits of this rebuild are.
This is the long game. And the IceDogs are just beginning.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
We all said we wanted a rebuild this past off-season, and that’s exactly what we’re getting. We all need to take a much-longer range view of this team. The Dogs are in a situation where it absolutely does not benefit them to be winning hockey games right now. Neither a Phil Tomasino nor Akil Thomas were superstars right from day one in the OHL. They each took about two years to really blossom into what they were going to be. So even when the Dogs make their picks in the most important Draft in franchise history, it’s going to take well into their second seasons, if not their third, before we really see what the first fruits of this rebuild are.
This is the long game. And the IceDogs are just beginning.

I am all for a rebuild don’t get me wrong

I would simply prefer they miss the playoffs to improve their position for the draft

Old 01-28-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I would simply prefer they miss the playoffs to improve their position for the draft
I think they are trending in that direction, Kingston is on the upswing with only a 7 point gap. Niagara should be able to capture 9th, but there is no chance for 10th place - North Bay has a lock on that.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I think they are trending in that direction, Kingston is on the upswing with only a 7 point gap. Niagara should be able to capture 9th, but there is no chance for 10th place - North Bay has a lock on that.

I would be good with ninth ... thrilled actually

With all of these recent injuries I think it is inevitable

Glad to see Kingston trending up ...

Old 01-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,281 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Aside from Kingston and North Bay. We have to pay attention to Sarnia. The Dogs have more points than them and they play in the West which is much tougher to get points.
Closed Thread