Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,775    Downloads: 1,714,741   Msgs Posted: 132,785   Thread Views: 28,746,743   Online Now: 101
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 AM
4th Line

Alwayssunny1 will become famous soon enough

I agree with the above and I don't think the GM is that bad, he has drafted pretty good made some good grades but the only problem is when you can't draft players to fit the coaches scheme because the coach has no scheme it is an issue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alwayssunny1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,744 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

This post is not a result of a last nightís loss, but Iíve felt a coaching change was needed last year (November 2018) - and had that been the case the season would have ended differently. There was a stretch of games last year, where you could see a stark contrast in the level of play from the previous year (with Ted Dent as the associate coach). Under Ted Dent (2017-2018) the team had structure, consistency, high compete level and adaptability (period to period).

First, I do have a great deal of empathy for the coach(es). It is so difficult to go through tough losses like that Ė and I fully understand rebuilds; young inexperienced players being asked to play in roles they are unfamiliar with and situations they are unprepared for. Our 16 and 17 year olds best OHL years are ahead of them Ė so Iím excited for that.

Second, although I accept all parts of a rebuild, the lack of consistency (team play and structure) - one night play right with London and Ottawa, the next night get blown out by Barrie and Owen Sound - is just not acceptable. Losing the game is fine, but getting blown out by a lesser opponent the next night is not.

Post-game interview...

The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,281 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

We all knew this would be a rebuilding year and the losses would mount. What you don't expect is to be embarrassed on a nightly basis. In a rebuilding year, you'd like to see improvement. Not in the standings because it's a given that it'll be a tough go. You want to see improvement on the ice. The total lack of structure (5 players all over the place at any given time), the lack of compete level, positioning, etc. It's all getting worse, not better. You'd like to see the games become closer as the team improves. Instead they're getting smoked more and more.

Billy had his chance with a stacked team last year, he now has had an opportunity to work with a rebuilding team. Neither has worked. In both cases... a disaster.

It's time to go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not listen to Billy Burke’s postgame. ‘I don’t know what happened, I don’t know how to fix it, I don’t know what I’m doing..’
Billy Burke is not a coach. You could find someone in the crowd that would know more about coaching than he does. He is horrible at coaching. I could find someone at the hotel I work at that likely knows more than he does. Bill and Denise Burke, get someone in there to coach Junior hockey players that knows what the hell theyre doing, or the crowds are going to be getting mighty sparse heading into next year. Maybe once season ticket renewals start disappearing they’ll notice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogged74 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,279 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
We all knew this would be a rebuilding year and the losses would mount. What you don't expect is to be embarrassed on a nightly basis. In a rebuilding year, you'd like to see improvement. Not in the standings because it's a given that it'll be a tough go. You want to see improvement on the ice. The total lack of structure (5 players all over the place at any given time), the lack of compete level, positioning, etc. It's all getting worse, not better. You'd like to see the games become closer as the team improves. Instead they're getting smoked more and more.

Billy had his chance with a stacked team last year, he now has had an opportunity to work with a rebuilding team. Neither has worked. In both cases... a disaster.

It's time to go.
On top of thank you, I agree with you completely. Time to move on with a new voice in the room.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM
3rd Line

modaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to beholdmodaymorninggm is a splendid one to behold

And to think how many people on this Board were so upset with Marty Williamson's coaching. I guess you should be careful what you hope for. It was obvious once Marty left or was let go that the Burke Boys would be in charge. Now it is up to Mr MacLeod and his scouting staff to get some quality players in here that can be competitive in spite of the coaching because as we all know there will be no change in the GM or the Head Coach
Old 02-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,279 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

It is fine and well to blame the coach for the problems with the team, but, we should never forget the players role in the performances of late. They need to be accountable for their lack of interest and play. That,,,, is on them.
Does not say much for their character, does it. Easy to quit and accept what things are.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

the dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond reputethe dog has a reputation beyond repute

And last year playoffs who is to blame?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:44 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,223 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dog View Post
And last year playoffs who is to blame?

Blame in order of responsibility ...

1. Billy Burke .... what a boneheaded decision to have Thomas on the ice in the last minute of an elimination game well in hand. His injury and being forced to miss the first two games I think of the next round was a HUGE loss IMO. Plus he simply couldn?t counter what Oshawa was doing. What a moron for putting Thomas in that position ...

2. Joey Burke ... sold the farm last year and your goalie is Stephen Dhillon? Seriously? Beer league goalies have better glove hands than him ...

3: Stephen Dhillon ... five years in the O and his glove hand was atrocious throughout the whole time ... did he know he was supposed to catch the puck when it landed in his glove and not let it jump out REPEAtEDLY? oh and what a MEATHEAD penalty he took at home versus Oshawa that game, I forget when it was ... no discipline (see 1 above) ... is he still in the ECHL?

I dropped one of my season tickets last year because of the bozo Burke?s ... I will renew only my single season ticket again this year ... I thought I would go back to a pair next year but the hockey is going to be so bad it?s just easier for me to use up 34 tickets instead of 68.

I will continue watching OHL hockey and supporting the Icedogs as I love watching the hockey and I love seeing tomorrow?s NHL stars for $17 a night ... however I do this with the complete understanding that we probably never win a championship with a Burke behind the bench ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,939 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Question: how much blame can you attribute to the cadre of associate or assistant coaches the team has had? If Billy Burke is promoted to "Director of Hockey Operations" and a quality head coach is found, do the support staff remain?
Closed Thread