Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,451    Downloads: 1,215,182   Msgs Posted: 122,186   Thread Views: 21,771,512   Online Now: 91
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Big League

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,147 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

I have to preface my comments by saying that I in no way want to disrespect Castleman (100% rooting for him and always have), but sorry there is and never was any real comparison between Thomas and Castleman in term of pure natural hockey talent and IQ.

There is a reason why Thomas was drafted in the 1st round (12th overall OHL) and in the 2nd round (51st overall NHL) – Castleman in the 4th round (OHL) and went undrafted in his draft year after putting up a respectable 40 points (66 games) playing top line minutes in 2016-2017.

NHL scouts could care less who your line-mates are, how many points you have (Thomas, Hayton and Dellandrea are proof of that), or how many social media pictures and interview there are of you – they evaluate the player SOLELY on their ability to play hockey and process the game at the absolute highest level.

Again, sorry there is no comparison. However, as Ice Dog fan, I really hope Castleman has a fantastic year – and makes us a better team as a result!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM
3rd Line

Ohlfan1993 Ohlfan1993 Ohlfan1993 Ohlfan1993 Ohlfan1993 Ohlfan1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
I have to preface my comments by saying that I in no way want to disrespect Castleman (100% rooting for him and always have), but sorry there is and never was any real comparison between Thomas and Castleman in term of pure natural hockey talent and IQ.

There is a reason why Thomas was drafted in the 1st round (12th overall OHL) and in the 2nd round (51st overall NHL) – Castleman in the 4th round (OHL) and went undrafted in his draft year after putting up a respectable 40 points (66 games) playing top line minutes in 2016-2017.

NHL scouts could care less who your line-mates are, how many points you have (Thomas, Hayton and Dellandrea are proof of that), or how many social media pictures and interview there are of you – they evaluate the player SOLELY on their ability to play hockey and process the game at the absolute highest level.

Again, sorry there is no comparison. However, as Ice Dog fan, I really hope Castleman has a fantastic year – and makes us a better team as a result!
I agree Thomas is the better player in terms of iq and skill. But that was not the point. The point is no other player got the treatment he did and does. It does not show well and I'm sure if we can see it so can the players. Dellandrea is a better player then Thomas and that's why he went higher and did so without all the help.
So it's obvious that if your going to run a team that you do your best and give all your guys a chance because you look better the more guys get drafted . For all we know Castleman could have developed different and maybe been a 7th rounder? Or maybe Jones could have been developed different and went higher but now he is labeled as at best maybe a bottom 6 forward in the NHL. This is a game but not a game you should play with people's careers.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Big League

Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlfan1993 View Post
I agree Thomas is the better player in terms of iq and skill. But that was not the point. The point is no other player got the treatment he did and does. It does not show well and I'm sure if we can see it so can the players. Dellandrea is a better player then Thomas and that's why he went higher and did so without all the help.
Exactly, my point. If you can play at an elite level, the NHL scouts will find you – and a team will draft you, regardless of the who, the where or the when.

Castleman had his opportunity (top six minutes) in 2016-2017 – he wasn’t drafted. The Ice Dogs gave him another chance in 2017-2018, he didn’t play well. Point fingers and make excuses but Castleman’s (self admitted) sub-par play last year was not Akil Thomas’ fault.

Castleman has owned up to it and the fans should too. However, 2018-2019 is a chance for redemption. As for setting personal goals heading into the 2018-19 campaign, Castleman certainly has the right perspective. "I just want to be the best player I can, and the points will come. I guess for a goal, probably 50 points… I don't want to play a game just to play a game, I want to play a game to make an impact."

I’m looking forward to seeing NiceDawg's nephew have a big year
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:05 PM
3rd Line

5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold5 for fighting is a splendid one to behold

I have been reading these posts and I have no idea what you are talking about. How was Thomas given special treatment? Did all the coaches hover around Thomas at practice trying to improve him while Castleman and the rest were told to shoot against the boards by themselves. Really, what are you talking about because from what I have seen the IceDogs look after all their players.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 for fighting For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:22 PM
3rd Line

Quote:
Exactly, my point. If you can play at an elite level, the NHL scouts will find you – and a team will draft you, regardless of the who, the where or the when.

Castleman had his opportunity (top six minutes) in 2016-2017 – he wasn’t drafted. The Ice Dogs gave him another chance in 2017-2018, he didn’t play well. Point fingers and make excuses but Castleman’s (self admitted) sub-par play last year was not Akil Thomas’ fault.

Castleman has owned up to it and the fans should too. However, 2018-2019 is a chance for redemption. As for setting personal goals heading into the 2018-19 campaign, Castleman certainly has the right perspective. "I just want to be the best player I can, and the points will come. I guess for a goal, probably 50 points… I don't want to play a game just to play a game, I want to play a game to make an impact."

I’m looking forward to seeing NiceDawg's nephew have a big year
Finding you is one thing being labeled is another. Also I had no idea castleman is related to anyone as it does not change my opinion. Guys that play more get seen more and have more opportunities. And yes points do matter don't kid yourself.if the team wanted they could have put Thomas in a spot were he was less successfull and Castleman in a much better spot to succeed. Things can be manipulated. Now did Castleman deserve the same opportunity maybe not but maybe he did deserve more than what he recieved? and then maybe our data would have been better to know for sure. And what do you want Castleman to say the icedogs screwed me?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:27 PM
3rd Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
I have been reading these posts and I have no idea what you are talking about. How was Thomas given special treatment? Did all the coaches hover around Thomas at practice trying to improve him while Castleman and the rest were told to shoot against the boards by themselves. Really, what are you talking about because from what I have seen the IceDogs look after all their players.
Do more reading plenty facts stated anyone has yet to challenge. Maybe they did shoot pucks at the boards in the sense coaches paracticed certain situations that allowed for him to succeed most I don't know what they practice and can only observe what I see from a hockey perspective.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Big League

Quote:
1. I had no idea castleman is related to anyone as it does not change my opinion.
2. And yes points do matter
3. maybe not but maybe he did deserve more than what he recieved?
4. And what do you want Castleman to say the icedogs screwed me?

1. Haha. My apologies that was just a joke!

2. Dellandrea and Hayton are proof that ultimately points are not what NHL scouts use to assess a player.

3. Not sure how many IceDogs games you have been to the last few year but Castleman did in fact have his opportunity on the top lines – during several points in the season, but he didn’t play well enough to remain there. So I’m not sure why you’re implying he was buried on the lower lines all year.

4. No! On behalf of the players and parents, the agent will request a trade in that situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Big League

Quote:
Do more reading plenty facts stated anyone has yet to challenge.
What facts? And facts in regards to...?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM
3rd Line

Quote:
1. Haha. My apologies that was just a joke!

2. Dellandrea and Hayton are proof that ultimately points are not what NHL scouts use to assess a player.

3. Not sure how many IceDogs games you have been to the last few year but Castleman did in fact have his opportunity on the top lines – during several points in the season, but he didn’t play well enough to remain there. So I’m not sure why you’re implying he was buried on the lower lines all year.

4. No! On behalf of the players and parents, the agent will request a trade in that situation.
Ok fair enough. I don't think he deserves to be in a top line spot or 5 on 5 i was simply making a point he and others could have posibly developed better had it not been all about one player.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM
3rd Line

Quote:
What facts? And facts in regards to...?
That was about the facts I posted about Thomas and people saying he did not get special treatment that nobody else has ever got.