Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,445    Downloads: 1,210,473   Msgs Posted: 121,919   Thread Views: 21,682,911   Online Now: 91
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

ckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to beholdckg927 is a splendid one to behold
Default Visser hangs up the pads

Mark Visentin, arguably one of the best players EVER to wear an IceDogs uniform(and certainly the best goalie), has decided to call it a career. He posted a message about it through his Twitter feed(which is below this message).

Memo to the IceDogs: IMO, Visser's number should be retired. How about we make this happen?

http://twitter.com/mark1visentin/sta...57896822185985
Old 10-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,546 Times in 852 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

That’s too bad

He’s one of my all time favourite Icedogs

He is probably the best Icedogs goalie ever?

By that I mean what he did for the Dogs while he was here with the Dogs.

It would be really nice if the Icedogs would start retiring some numbers... we’ve been around long enough to consider retiring some.

Aggy ... Visser ... Strome .. all deserve to have their numbers up in the rafters ... maybe Dougie too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,388 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
That’s too bad

He’s one of my all time favourite Icedogs

He is probably the best Icedogs goalie ever?

By that I mean what he did for the Dogs while he was here with the Dogs.

It would be really nice if the Icedogs would start retiring some numbers... we’ve been around long enough to consider retiring some.

Aggy ... Visser ... Strome .. all deserve to have their numbers up in the rafters ... maybe Dougie too

Maybe Pietrangelo the rest no chance IMO. No disrespect to the players you listed but I'm not even considering retiring a number unless they're breaking records in this league, putting real banners in the rafters or staring in the show.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Big League

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
Maybe Pietrangelo the rest no chance IMO. No disrespect to the players you listed but I'm not even considering retiring a number unless they're breaking records in this league, putting real banners in the rafters or staring in the show.
Visser is a record holder in this league if my memory serves me correctly
Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,060 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs77 View Post
Visser is a record holder in this league if my memory serves me correctly
Most shut-outs in a season.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Big League

dogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond reputedogs77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep thats the one
Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Team Captain

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:

IMO It’s the player’s OHL accomplishments which should get a rafter to the banners ... I mean Petro was a bubble guy for me wondering if he deserved a number retirement ... Guess he deserves it in hindsight since he’s probably the best pro player to come out of niagara ... even though he only played 1.5 seasons in Niagara.

All the others are no brainers IMO

Aggy - played entire career with Dogs ... all time points and goals scored leader ... 306 points in 318 gp.
Strome ... 281 points in 191 games ... he was simply dominant when he was here. 181 assists in 191 gp, all time assists leader.

Hamilton ... top scoring defenseman in Dogs history ... 187 points in 213 gp. Played entire career here.

Viz ... no other Icedogs goalie comes remotely close to his career numbers in Niagara ...played entire career here.

Petro ... only played 96 games in Niagara ... 82 points or something close to that ... dominant defenseman ... guess you could retire his number because of his great NHL career ... he was a dominant d-man when he was here.
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Team Captain

hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
IMO It’s the player’s OHL accomplishments which should get a rafter to the banners ... I mean Petro was a bubble guy for me wondering if he deserved a number retirement ... Guess he deserves it in hindsight since he’s probably the best pro player to come out of niagara ... even though he only played 1.5 seasons in Niagara.

All the others are no brainers IMO

Aggy - played entire career with Dogs ... all time points and goals scored leader ... 306 points in 318 gp.
Strome ... 281 points in 191 games ... he was simply dominant when he was here. 181 assists in 191 gp, all time assists leader.

Hamilton ... top scoring defenseman in Dogs history ... 187 points in 213 gp. Played entire career here.

Viz ... no other Icedogs goalie comes remotely close to his career numbers in Niagara ...played entire career here.

Petro ... only played 96 games in Niagara ... 82 points or something close to that ... dominant defenseman ... guess you could retire his number because of his great NHL career ... he was a dominant d-man when he was here.
What are you going to do when you run out of numbers? They haven't won anything and there's five numbers already up there with Akil and possibly Jones inching towards equalling those guys!

As for Petro he was the best player to ever play here and at least looks like he will be a finge hall a fame candidate assuming he continues on this path. I'd highly consider putting his jersey up there at some point and possibly Dougie's if he steps his game up but that's it. It's a development league and if you help develop a high end talent why not advertise it?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
What are you going to do when you run out of numbers? They haven't won anything and there's five numbers already up there with Akil and possibly Jones inching towards equalling those guys!

As for Petro he was the best player to ever play here and at least looks like he will be a finge hall a fame candidate assuming he continues on this path. I'd highly consider putting his jersey up there at some point and possibly Dougie's if he steps his game up but that's it. It's a development league and if you help develop a high end talent why not advertise it?

5 numbers out of 99.

Ya might run out of numbers for real

Lmfao

Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
5 numbers out of 99.

Ya might run out of numbers for real

Lmfao

You're retiring one every second year for good but not great players. 4 of those guys were all on the same team and didn't win. How many are you going to retire if the actually win a Memorial Cup? Look around the league who's retiring that many numbers? Not to mention how do you retire all those numbers and not Freddie Hamilton. Also this team didn't start in Niagara, Swift and O'Sullivan should have theirs retired as well.

Kamloops Blazers won 3 Memorial Cups in 4 years and have so far only retired Scott Niedermayer's number from those teams. Oshawa has retired 6 and they've had a team since the thirties. 1 was Red Tilson who died in the second world war and should be listed as an honored number. The rest were all timers in this league. Tanti(81 goals as a 16 year old), Lindork, Savard(130 points in a season twice), Tavares(all time goal scoring leader in the league), and Bobby Orr. If Niagara retired all those numbers they would look like a joke. LMFAO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post: