Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,076    Downloads: 808,409   Msgs Posted: 108,472   Thread Views: 15,506,655   Online Now: 36
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,025 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
So far I would give him an A-. The minus is only because I think he should've got more for Knott. Other than that, I think he's done very well.

I do have the same fear as a lot of others, if he does crap the bed in the future.... will he be held accountable?
Knott should have fetched more, but the failure to realize that value fell more on his play than Joey Burke's ability to strike a deal. Knott was the epitome of the country club player, he could go out and light up the scoreboard but he was more apt to have a little skate grab a cheap penalty and sit. He reached 17 regular season points with the IceDogs in 14 games and 35 with Windsor in 45 games. Is he a good player, yes of course. Could he be a great player - maybe? That big question mark is the reason most teams weren't all that generous with their offerings.

As for what you do with a GM or a Coach who under performs and happens to share your DNA? That mostly depends on what the end game is for Denise and Bill Burke. Will they sell the team to their sons over time? Will Billy and Joey transition to "owners" ? Will the entire enterprise be sold to a third party with a clause that the boys retain their positions for X number of years by contract and thereafter by merit? Will they all walk off into the sunset together? Or maybe, just maybe, the team continues to do well
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 PM
Big League

dogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond reputedogged74 has a reputation beyond repute

This could all be a moot point if this pending lawsuit bankrupts the CHL....
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 PM
4th Line

Dawger has a spectacular aura aboutDawger has a spectacular aura aboutDawger has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Fishfan 51 and Nicedawg...so far I have been happy with Burke...He made some great trades to restock the draft cupboard (not necessarily what I would have done) but at least made tough choices and stuck with a plan...Ist picks are usually always ok and in Thomas case really really good, but as the others have said the true mettle of a good GM (and his scouting staff) is finding the gems in later rounds and getting the NCAA guys to report...time will tell
The Following User Says Thank You to Dawger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 PM
4th Line

modaymorninggm has a spectacular aura aboutmodaymorninggm has a spectacular aura aboutmodaymorninggm has a spectacular aura about

Maksimov and Brack look like they were good deals. However the rest of the team we all grew to love were players drafted and traded for by Marty and his scouting staff. I think it will take a couple of years to evaluate how Joey Burke and his staff do. It looks promising so we can remain optimistic
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modaymorninggm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 AM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaymorninggm View Post
... the rest of the team we all grew to love were players drafted and traded for by Marty
Hard to say if Joey Burke had any influence on the decisions for this past year's picks or if it was 100% Marty's show. I agree it will be easier to attribute the praise or blame appropriately this upcoming year.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
Worst case scenario a team moves from a weak market. Most likely those one or two teams would have folded anyhow. As for the rest, the absolute worst case would be a rise in ticket prices but more likely just a larger claw-back from the NHL.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Big League

Thanked 2,769 Times in 1,261 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
Worst case scenario a team moves from a weak market. Most likely those one or two teams would have folded anyhow. As for the rest, the absolute worst case would be a rise in ticket prices but more likely just a larger claw-back from the NHL.

What's raising ticket prices going to do? If teams thought they could bring in more revenue by raising ticket prices they would have done it yesterday. Aside from London and Kitchener raising ticket prices would not bring in more money.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM
3rd Line

jumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogged74 View Post
Knights players will revolt at having to take a pay cut
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,103 Times in 615 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1290 View Post

This made me literally laugh out loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 PM
3rd Line

g_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to beholdg_squad is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1290 View Post
I laughed at this also, but...

My fear is just the opposite will happen. If this whole mess blows up the way I fear it might, certain teams with their unlimited resources may be able to attract and pay (above board for a change) whatever they want to buy a championship team every year. If teams are forced to pay at minimum, a minimum wage to the players, there would be nothing restricting the "have" teams from paying more than minimum wage and offering other "perks" to lure the top talent. Does the CHL then implement a salary cap to level the playing field. And a salary cap only forces teams to get more creative in their compensation to skirt the rules. A new Buick for Dad if Junior signs with the team and scores 50 points or a new Caddy if he gets 100 points...

To think what might happen as a result of this whole mess just makes my blood boil.

I just hope that Junior Hockey can survive in some form.