Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,157    Downloads: 831,254   Msgs Posted: 111,272   Thread Views: 16,631,617   Online Now: 59
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:32 AM
3rd Line

pg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by otherspg007 is absolutely hated by others

nope nothing wrong with this format if its not broke dont fix it the best team won this year they never lost a game to 3 leauge champions
Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 AM

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,156 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

It comes down to logistics. You need a big enough building, it has to be empty for a week or more and you need to sell tickets. Short of holding it in a predetermined location (host arena) without a home team (who's fans are going to buy a big chunk of the tickets), we are stuck with the present format. Although not perfect it's still good enough in my books...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,189 Times in 658 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs77 View Post
Ok this was the 99th memorial cup tournament.. does anyone know when this format started

I was looking at that I think 1983

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,189 Times in 658 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg007 View Post
nope nothing wrong with this format if its not broke dont fix it the best team won this year they never lost a game to 3 leauge champions

I think many pundits would say that the best team did not win it ....

If they were the best team then why weren't they a league champion?
They couldn't beat the team who was ultimately beaten by the league Champion.

IMHO the cream rises to the top after a playoffs where you need 16 wins ... not one where you need 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

Imagine if the NHL went to a Memorial cup format. Pittsburgh and Nashville playing a host city like Toronto or Boston (first round losers) in the final in a 1game round Robin tournament for the Stanley Cup
Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

AuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond reputeAuldBone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to AuldBone

Only one thing matters to the CHL Brass ( read : Dave Branch ), and that is money... Is there an a$$ every 18"? Did they pay their requisite money for the seat, and their ridiculously inflated concession money? Then everything is copacetic...

I think having the wild card of the host city in the tournament is actually kinda fun and exciting, especially when they were eliminated in the 1st round... It give it kind of an 'Anything can happen' vibe. Sure it's stupid that they exited 44 days before the tourney, but guess what, they obviously didn't sit around and play games. They prepared, they worked, and made pretty much everyone else look foolish right up until that last game.

I had Seattle picked to win it all. But I ain't mad. I was happy to see Windsor play Cinderella and finish the night of the Ball with her ankles in the air, in triumph. I kid... The truth is that I love the unpredictability of hockey, watching the first round of OHL playoffs against London, I thought Windsor looked really competitive. And it could have gone either way. So no, I don't want to see a change, it was nice to see a team that had real potential get that proverbial 2nd kick at the can...

Proud of the way the OHL represented at the MC this year. And besides, if the IceDogs get a shot to host in 2020... You'll be complaining about the unfairness of the format a lot less I would bet...
The Following User Says Thank You to AuldBone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:22 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk View Post
Imagine if the NHL went to a Memorial cup format. Pittsburgh and Nashville playing a host city like Toronto or Boston (first round losers) in the final in a 1game round Robin tournament for the Stanley Cup
Different resources. If the NHL says to a specific venue that they would like to have three or four NHL playoff games in your barn on a specific day - it happens. CHL doesn't pack that same punch or have the resources to locate teams across Canada for the home and away travel that would be involved, to say nothing of the fan logistics.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I think many pundits would say that the best team did not win it ....

If they were the best team then why weren't they a league champion?
They couldn't beat the team who was ultimately beaten by the league Champion.

IMHO the cream rises to the top after a playoffs where you need 16 wins ... not one where you need 3.
There were also a pile of pundits who believed a Western Conference team was more deserving of a playoff berth than some of the Eastern Conference teams, but thems the rulez.

Each non-host team in the Memorial Cup was a champion in their own league and the wildcard is a well-rested fourth team. I suppose each of the three champion teams could play the host and each other in a round-robin for ranking and then the host is out (regardless) and the highest champion gets a by to the finals and plays the winner of the next two highest teams for the cup - but would the fans show up?
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Big League

retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

I am perfectly fine with the Memorial Cup set-up, or, if it is not broken, don't fix it.

Windsor deserves a lot of credit for all of the work the players and staff enjoyed or, most likely hated doing after they were eliminated to end up being Canadian Champions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 05:34 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Stroh's on this. If the Memorial Cup is about the best team in junior hockey then it should be decided by the three league Champions....... Win your league then beat the other two league Champions and you are truly the best in Canada. Which is Erie. ....... But the CHL is about $$$$ and bums in seats
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder Hawk For This Useful Post: