Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,098    Downloads: 818,182   Msgs Posted: 109,648   Thread Views: 16,073,813   Online Now: 61
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,009 Times in 836 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

I'll be surprised if the Dogs finish in the top half of the conference. It has nothing to do with Billy taking over the coaching duties. Mississauga should be the class of the East. Peterborough could challenge them. Oshawa was in first place and sold with eye to the future, they are far ahead of the Dogs in their rebuild after winning the Memorial Cup a few years ago. Ottawa had possibly the youngest defence group in the country and still finished ahead of the Dogs. They should also take another step forward especially with assets they acquired in the Konecny deal. Kingston has something along the lines of 15 returning players. Barrie added possibly one of the best NHL draft eligible players on the planet. IMO, Hamilton is better than Niagara.

While the Dogs played 17 year old rookies in Singer, Castleman, Ham, Somerville, etc. The other teams were taking their lumps with 16 year olds.

My point? I think other teams will/have improved more than the Dogs, and have done it with younger players. With all of the 17 year olds on last years team, the Dogs will be in a "go for it" year next year when they're all 19. I just don't see championship type talent on this roster for 2018-19. There are some stand-outs in Thomas, Maksimov and Castleman. But, I don't think they'll be anywhere near a championship squad.

As far as draft picks, they sold last year just to get back to even after Marty emptied the cupboard. They're not on a position to go on a shopping spree. I've said it all along, IMO Marty left the cupboards so empty that this is a five year rebuild.

Again, my point? If junior doesn't have success right from the hop, it may not be his fault at all. But, in the eyes of this rabid fan base that wants a championship so bad... he'll be getting the blame.

I won't make a prediction on where they'll finish, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if the finish at or above .500 and/or in the top half of the conference.
The Following User Says Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 PM
Resident OHL Expert

fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/201...coach-position

He's earned his chance.

Go Dogs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fishfan51 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 PM
1st Line

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud ofDogs Enthusiast 104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post

“We bleed this. There are no days off, we are always talking about this, thinking about how we can get better.”

Sounds good. I am optimistic.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,416 Times in 655 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

IceDogs promote Billy Burke to head coach position
By Bernd Franke

“It’s no secret that’s how I got the opportunity my first year, no doubt about it,” he said Monday. “But I started in the press box, it’s not like I started right behind the bench as head coach eight years ago.

“Anyone who thinks that I’m here now strictly because of nepotism has obviously never met me and has no idea what they are talking about.”

“My parents are extremly successful people for a reason,” he said. “My brother and I aren’t a couple of flakes who get everything handed to us, we worked for it, the IceDogs are our life.

“We bleed this. There are no days off, we are always talking about this, thinking about how we can get better.”

Billy Burke understands there are people who “rolled their eyes” when he was named to succeed Bell.
“It just comes with the territory,” he said. “Every coach in sports has naysayers and has haters, the anonymous trolls who will squawk on the internet.”

“If people aren’t talking about us, that means they don’t care about us,” he said. “Fans care. They want the team to be successful and so do I.”

“I am ready to make the step up,” he said. “ I’ve been an assistant coach for eight years here, I’ve seen everything, I’ve been to the finals twice.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM
2nd Line

slamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond reputeslamr has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed that article. He did not dance around the nepotism thing...took it head on. Good for him and I hope it all works out for the good.
As a fan I just want to see an entertaining product on the ice. THAT is what prompts me to renewing my season tickets. Not this other stuff.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slamr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 PM
4th Line

modaymorninggm is a jewel in the roughmodaymorninggm is a jewel in the roughmodaymorninggm is a jewel in the rough

I think everyone should take a deep breath. As Billy said in his interview he has worked long and hard to get to this position and the only thing given to him was the initial chance. Joey in addition to being GM has been out every night scouting. All the previous coaches endorsed the move. What we need to ask ourselves is how upset would we have been in Bill and Denise decided to not give their boys this chance and another team came along and gave Joey a GM job and Billy a head coaching job. Then we would have been yelling at the Burke's about letting them go. It is is simple let them do their jobs and evaluate them on the results. There is an entirely new team there. New head coach , new GM, new head scout new mgmt staff. Give then 6 years and compare it to the 6 years Williamson and his boys were there
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 AM
3rd Line

Bleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura about

Seven years ago he was selecting and renting the movies for the road trips from That's Entertainment as a Assistant, and now the Head Coach position from Mom & Dad as a wedding present. I don't think Denise will be getting any awards this year from the league.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:04 AM
3rd Line

jumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nicejumbo1290 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
I'll be surprised if the Dogs finish in the top half of the conference. It has nothing to do with Billy taking over the coaching duties. Mississauga should be the class of the East. Peterborough could challenge them. Oshawa was in first place and sold with eye to the future, they are far ahead of the Dogs in their rebuild after winning the Memorial Cup a few years ago. Ottawa had possibly the youngest defence group in the country and still finished ahead of the Dogs. They should also take another step forward especially with assets they acquired in the Konecny deal. Kingston has something along the lines of 15 returning players. Barrie added possibly one of the best NHL draft eligible players on the planet. IMO, Hamilton is better than Niagara.

While the Dogs played 17 year old rookies in Singer, Castleman, Ham, Somerville, etc. The other teams were taking their lumps with 16 year olds.

My point? I think other teams will/have improved more than the Dogs, and have done it with younger players. With all of the 17 year olds on last years team, the Dogs will be in a "go for it" year next year when they're all 19. I just don't see championship type talent on this roster for 2018-19. There are some stand-outs in Thomas, Maksimov and Castleman. But, I don't think they'll be anywhere near a championship squad.

As far as draft picks, they sold last year just to get back to even after Marty emptied the cupboard. They're not on a position to go on a shopping spree. I've said it all along, IMO Marty left the cupboards so empty that this is a five year rebuild.

Again, my point? If junior doesn't have success right from the hop, it may not be his fault at all. But, in the eyes of this rabid fan base that wants a championship so bad... he'll be getting the blame.

I won't make a prediction on where they'll finish, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if the finish at or above .500 and/or in the top half of the conference.
be prepared to be surprised
The Following User Says Thank You to jumbo1290 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Hope you're right.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

Thanked 1,416 Times in 655 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Burke: "We have a great amount of character in the locker room"

New Niagara IceDogs head coach Billy Burke Jr. joins TSN 1150's The Morning Scrum with Jamie Thomas and Louie B to discuss being named the fifth head coach in franchise history and what he believes he can bring to the club

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...-room-1.819172
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post: