Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,362    Downloads: 1,001,320   Msgs Posted: 118,602   Thread Views: 19,633,370   Online Now: 65
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold
Default Agozzino & the pass

I would like the elders here to help me through this question. Simple enough question, I just haven't been following the team as long as you many have.

Why hasn't he been drafted?

What happens next year with him ?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM
3rd Line

joecanadian is a jewel in the roughjoecanadian is a jewel in the roughjoecanadian is a jewel in the rough

I think it might have something to do with the fact that he didn't get much ice time in his draft year. That coach at the time thought the only way to win was play your top 6 forwards for 90% of the game.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
3rd Line

Alpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the roughAlpha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Umm...Aggie saw plenty of ice in his first draft year. Aggie was one of the guys who was give ample ice time, lots of PP time. Aggie not being drafted has a lot to do with his skating. He is not big, and not a great skater.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM
2nd Line

RobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to beholdRobDog is a splendid one to behold

Given this is only my second year following the Dogs. But it was very clear my first year that Number 8 and 9 where on the ice together alot. Both giving their best performance at these times. Number 8 and 9 being the same size, and in pace, yet Number 8 has a direction to Vancouver ??
Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM
2nd Line

number1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha 1 View Post
Umm...Aggie saw plenty of ice in his first draft year. Aggie was one of the guys who was give ample ice time, lots of PP time. Aggie not being drafted has a lot to do with his skating. He is not big, and not a great skater.
Are you suggesting his skating is not up to standards? If so, I have to disagree.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

Aggy could still potentially get drafted even in his Overage year. Lots of players don't get drafted in their draft year or the year after for that matter. Aggy has been playing really well as of late too and if he can keep it going and finish the season strong i would think a team would draft him. He's a natural goal scorer,good skater and captain of a very talented team so i think he's got a lot going for himself. The knock against him is his size but if he can play gritty and with an edge it'll help compensate for his lack of size as it did for Friesen. ..........As long as Aggy is still playing in the OHL and playing well i'd say he still has a shot at being drafted
Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 AM
2nd Line

number1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other membersnumber1icedogsfan is well liked by the other members

As I understand it, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, Aggie can no longer be drafted and is now a free agent. The Draft is designed to protect the NHL teams in hopes they get a fair chance at the prospects. Being a free agent, Aggie can now be picked up and signed by anybody at any time.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
3rd Line

pez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the roughpez3145 is a jewel in the rough

some good players fall into the undrafted free agent category.
michael swift... agozzino... no other teams are fighting over the players' rights
there is a pool of players that float from camp to camp and get signed by the ahl or go to europe.
they have been passed over by the hockey elite because of size or attitude (legein) - they dont fit anyone's plans.
some who get drafted will get bounced around as well its politics and posturing not outright skill that makes draft picks.

Last edited by pez3145; 12-17-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,460 Times in 802 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecanadian View Post
I think it might have something to do with the fact that he didn't get much ice time in his draft year. That coach at the time thought the only way to win was play your top 6 forwards for 90% of the game.
I disagree, I also think that in his draft year he had plenty of ice time. Even in his draft year if he didn't get plenty of ice time, the year after his draft year, he had tonnes of ice time, and was still not drafted. Friesen was not drafted in his draft year, in the year after his same draft year, Friesen had tonnes of ice time, as did Aggy, and Friesen was drafted.

Comparing the two, they are of similar size, maybe Friesen is a tiny bit bigger, but, IMHO Friesen is a much better skater than Aggy, although Aggy is more of a pure goal scorer. I think Friesen is a more rounded player, better defensively, finishes his checks much better, and gives more effort.

I think the world of both players, but, after having watched Aggy and Friesen play at least 20 times a year, throughout their careers, I am not surprised that Friesen is drafted, and Aggy is not.

I'm not saying Friesen will be an NHLer one day, but I think he could play at the AHL level, due to him being more of an all around player with blazing speed. I don't think Aggy could play at the AHL level, skating is an issue, and is a one dimensional sniper.

I will miss them both in the Red and Black next year, two of my fav all-time Icedogs, including Swifty and Caputi.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,460 Times in 802 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

I believe, and someone could correct me if I am wrong, that Justin Aszevedo, formerly of the Kitchener Rangers, was drafted in his OA year, after leading the OHL in scoring, with 43g 81a 124pts in 67 games. He was drafted by the LA Kings in the 6th round, 153rd overall. He is undersized as well, as is Aggy, an he has had a pretty decent AHL career, 129 pts in 199 games for Manchester Monarchs.

Michael Swift, was signed as a free agent by the Devils after his tremendous OHL overage year. He is still in the AHL though.

Aggy still has a shot, I don't see it happening though. In both Aszevedo and Swifts cases, both seemed to give more effort and were more well-rounded players than Aggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Hawk View Post
Aggy could still potentially get drafted even in his Overage year. Lots of players don't get drafted in their draft year or the year after for that matter. Aggy has been playing really well as of late too and if he can keep it going and finish the season strong i would think a team would draft him. He's a natural goal scorer,good skater and captain of a very talented team so i think he's got a lot going for himself. The knock against him is his size but if he can play gritty and with an edge it'll help compensate for his lack of size as it did for Friesen. ..........As long as Aggy is still playing in the OHL and playing well i'd say he still has a shot at being drafted