Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,362    Downloads: 1,001,125   Msgs Posted: 118,548   Thread Views: 19,608,512   Online Now: 85
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,406 Times in 994 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I believe, and someone could correct me if I am wrong, that Justin Aszevedo, formerly of the Kitchener Rangers, was drafted in his OA year, after leading the OHL in scoring, with 43g 81a 124pts in 67 games. He was drafted by the LA Kings in the 6th round, 153rd overall. He is undersized as well, as is Aggy, an he has had a pretty decent AHL career, 129 pts in 199 games for Manchester Monarchs.

Michael Swift, was signed as a free agent by the Devils after his tremendous OHL overage year. He is still in the AHL though.

Aggy still has a shot, I don't see it happening though. In both Aszevedo and Swifts cases, both seemed to give more effort and were more well-rounded players than Aggy.
Azevedo was not an OA when he was drafted by L.A. He was still eligible for another year of junior but made the AHL team in Manchester.

As for Agozzino... his game is not consistent. He scores goals in bunches then disappears for games at a time. When Friesen isn't scoring he is still hitting, fighting and creating chances. Where Agozzino doesn't do any of those things. If you put Friesens heart and Agozzino's hands together you get Justin Azevedo.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:59 PM
2nd Line

dv8 is just really nicedv8 is just really nicedv8 is just really nicedv8 is just really nicedv8 is just really nice

Swift's contract with the Sharks expired and he became free agent, from what I've seen he is playing in South Korea right now.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

With your comment at the bottom of your post, why must you always be so negative. If you don't like the Dogs you can cheer for another team.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:52 PM
1st Line

61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold61jr is a splendid one to behold

Just to clarify a few points made earlier:

1) In regards to the point that he didn't play much in his draft year with references to Cheech mainly only playing his top two lines and rarely using anyone else, that was the first year here, when Aggy was 16, which was one year before his draft year. His draft year was the next year when he had 56 points in 67 games

2) He is not able to be drafted this coming year. Once you enter your OA year, you are considered a free agent and can be signed by any NHL team at any point -- for example, Archibald last year was signed by Vancouver just after he was traded to Niagara.

As for why he wasn't drafted, I don't know, but I think he will get signed after this season and be playing in the AHL next season. He is on pace for 78 points this year, and I think he will well exceed 80 this year (I would be surprised if he doesn't break 85). He's durable (knock on wood), since his rookie year, he has only missed one game, and that was in his second season.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 PM
2nd Line

gord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to beholdgord is a splendid one to behold

True dat bulldog,my kids have all moved to other citys to find jobs and pay taxes'
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to beholdThunder Hawk is a splendid one to behold

For some reason i also assumed Azevedo in Kitchener was an overage when he got drafted, but apparently not (after i just looked it up). Glad i wasn't the only one thinking that .
Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 AM
SysOp

Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,358 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

re: DV8's signature: "I hope you kids enjoy this place, because you and your children will still be paying for it longer after the team moves to another city."

By "this place" I thought he was referring to this forum. Only I pay for it. What the heck's he talking about? The new arena? So he's not an IceDog fan after all? Who would rather have the team leave and have no OHL hockey in this area anymore?

DV8: please clarify! Are you really against the IceDogs staying here?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM
3rd Line

Dogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to beholdDogman is a splendid one to behold

The best example of what an undrafted player can do for himself; is Dan Girardi from Welland. He went on to win the Memorial Cup with London and got a Walk On tryout with the Rangers. He impressed them so much; that not only did they sign him, but keep him in New York with the big club. No he's a true number 1 or 2 D Man for the them. This is all to do with a player believing in himself and not giving up. As far as Aggazino....I think his selfish play at times has been his biggest shortfall. His size is not a big deal much anymore under the new NHL and i find his skating to be on par with most of the other good players.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,460 Times in 802 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Azevedo was not an OA when he was drafted by L.A. He was still eligible for another year of junior but made the AHL team in Manchester.

As for Agozzino... his game is not consistent. He scores goals in bunches then disappears for games at a time. When Friesen isn't scoring he is still hitting, fighting and creating chances. Where Agozzino doesn't do any of those things. If you put Friesens heart and Agozzino's hands together you get Justin Azevedo.
Thanks for the correction, I was too lazy to check it out, I knew he wasn't drafted in his draft year, thats about it.

I agree, Aggy disappears at times....very streaky...he was great Saturday night.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
3rd Line

notl1733 will become famous soon enough

Some in this thread have written that Agozzino doesn't hit, lacks in skating and is one dimensional. Really? It's true the guy is steaky. Although he has been on his game lately, maybe sometime soon we can go back to the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to notl1733 For This Useful Post: