Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,786    Downloads: 1,727,253   Msgs Posted: 133,653   Thread Views: 29,465,610   Online Now: 134
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News

Notices

Niagara IceDogs - Fan Talk & News Discussions posted by the fans about the Niagara IceDogs - talk about games, players, fights, news, etc.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM
2nd Line

5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members5 for fighting is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Enthusiast 104 View Post
We will probably have similar attendance as this horrible season. Many sellouts and averaging well over 4000. Because very few people in the Niagara Region can even name the coach. We are obsessed with this stuff but most of the people attending games are not.

They are there for a night out.
They are company tickets as part of their marketing program.
They took part in the group sales promotion.

You are talking about a few to several hundred people who are obsessed like us. If 10% of them quit because of the coach it will be quickly made up with new buyers. The Region is growing and the economy is hot. The downtown is gaining in reputation as an entertainment district and drawing more people. I am bullish on the team and downtown from a financial perspective.
While I agree with most of which you have said, over half the fans at any game are made up of season ticket holders. Many of them may not follow the team as closely as most of you on this forum, but if the team continues to get blown out game after game, the fans will not have fun watching the game which will result in some not renewing their season tickets. No matter how bad the team plays this season, it will only marginally effect attendance this year. But next year I could see attendance decreasing further as fewer people renew their season tickets.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,954 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
No matter how bad the team plays this season, it will only marginally effect attendance this year. But next year I could see attendance decreasing further as fewer people renew their season tickets.
I think the slide would have to be three or four years before the team was in any trouble. Long term STH who throw up their hands in disgust over a season or two, were probably leaving anyhow. Look at how many threatened to leave over SMGs policies, the music, nepotism, or failing to win a Memorial Cup - yet every year the number of STHs continue to climb.

For the last four years Niagara has enjoyed Top 4 status for attendance in the league (they were fifth the year before). So far this year is slightly less but they are still fourth and the year isn't over yet either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 for fighting View Post
While I agree with most of which you have said, over half the fans at any game are made up of season ticket holders. Many of them may not follow the team as closely as most of you on this forum, but if the team continues to get blown out game after game, the fans will not have fun watching the game which will result in some not renewing their season tickets. No matter how bad the team plays this season, it will only marginally effect attendance this year. But next year I could see attendance decreasing further as fewer people renew their season tickets.
Half the tickets are sold thru season tickets. Yes. But many of those company seats that are given to customers, employees, friends or charity. I wouldn't be surprised if half the season tickets are corporate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogs Enthusiast 104 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Top Prospect

Dogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond reputeDogs Enthusiast 104 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDawg View Post
I think the slide would have to be three or four years before the team was in any trouble. Long term STH who throw up their hands in disgust over a season or two, were probably leaving anyhow. Look at how many threatened to leave over SMGs policies, the music, nepotism, or failing to win a Memorial Cup - yet every year the number of STHs continue to climb.
Or the smoking policy!
Old 02-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,481 Posts
hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!hockey123 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:

For the last four years Niagara has enjoyed Top 4 status for attendance in the league (they were fifth the year before). So far this year is slightly less but they are still fourth and the year isn't over yet either.

I think you're kidding yourself. If this slide continues you will see very shortly that attendance will drop. Windsor used to sell out every game now they're at 3900 with a very good team in a much bigger barn. If people don't enjoy the product they won't come. Many will start doing other things and not come back even when you're good again. I said last year when they forced going for it when they weren't that good they were risking doing long term damage to the franchise. I think they did just that.

The sad thing is if they sold Jones, Maksimov and anyone else they could last year. Didn't trade for Robertson, Paquette, Studnicka and the lazy overager (plus Militec the year before) they could have won this year. Imagine Thomas, Thomasino, Lodnia, Sopa, Hunter, Moore, Constantinou plus with 2 or 3 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hockey123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Team Captain

Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,291 Posts
retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!retired/sectionJ is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey123 View Post
I think you're kidding yourself. If this slide continues you will see very shortly that attendance will drop. Windsor used to sell out every game now they're at 3900 with a very good team in a much bigger barn. If people don't enjoy the product they won't come. Many will start doing other things and not come back even when you're good again. I said last year when they forced going for it when they weren't that good they were risking doing long term damage to the franchise. I think they did just that.

The sad thing is if they sold Jones, Maksimov and anyone else they could last year. Didn't trade for Robertson, Paquette, Studnicka and the lazy overager (plus Militec the year before) they could have won this year. Imagine Thomas, Thomasino, Lodnia, Sopa, Hunter, Moore, Constantinou plus with 2 or 3 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie.
You are bang on!!
The Following User Says Thank You to retired/sectionJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 10:03 PM

NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
I think you're kidding yourself. If this slide continues you will see very shortly that attendance will drop.
Oh so we agree then. I was confident the team COULD weather a three or four year slump - I never once predicted there WOULD be one. My prediction is a notable improvement next year that continues the year following.

As per the theme of this thread, I concur the team needs a better coach to win the league and contend for the Memorial Cup. The present coach is adequate to reach the playoffs every 3/4 years during the normal OHL cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 08:42 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,819 Posts
Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!Blacksox is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
My prediction is a notable improvement next year that continues the year following.

As per the theme of this thread, I concur the team needs a better coach to win the league and contend for the Memorial Cup. The present coach is adequate to reach the playoffs every 3/4 years during the normal OHL cycle.
In junior hockey, teams (players) in the first year of a rebuild get better each subsequent year simply because the players are another year older and another year of OHL experience. How much better depends on the quality of the players drafted and traded for.

The formula for a successful junior team, every 3 or 4 years, is simple. The better your scouting staff and the more “draft pick” currency you have to trade when it is your turn - the more successful that team will be in its “go for it” years.

#promoteBB
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksox View Post
The formula for a successful junior team, every 3 or 4 years, is simple. The better your scouting staff and the more “draft pick” currency you have to trade when it is your turn - the more successful that team will be in its “go for it” years.

#promoteBB
Scout, Draft, Train. The last one is the secret sauce that keeps winning teams on top.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:16 AM
2nd Line

Thunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud ofThunder Hawk has much to be proud of

Quote:

You nailed it. The Burke's sacrificed long term damage to the franchise by forcing things last year when they were clearly not good enough to get out of the Conference let alone league. The fact they couldn't even get out of the 2nd round to the very team they gave their future to is embarrassing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunder Hawk For This Useful Post: