Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,098    Downloads: 818,441   Msgs Posted: 109,680   Thread Views: 16,082,382   Online Now: 83
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Big League

Thanked 1,141 Times in 634 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleechers View Post
Why in the name of Hockey, would the City of St. Catharines accept a lifetime name of a hockey team that just might not be here in 10 years. For a measly $100,000 per year for ten years, which really is just pocket change for the city coffers. And then to be asked to name it after the Burkes if their children take over the franchise. Ridiculous ! Those two couldn't run the concession stands.
These are the same Burkes who have to be chased through he hallways, to be held accountable for the day to day operations with SMG. I am beginning to think that this just might be the rumoured end to the Burkes holdings with the Niagara Icedogs/City of St. Catharines that have been mumbling for awhile now.
Remember...that foremost, they are business people.
Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

The city taxpayers would lose their minds if they found out that the City turned down a million dollar 'donation' for the arena project, and in return all they had to do was rename a bloody street.

Hate to break it you, but $1M is a lot of money to the City.

The arena is a luxury that IMHO the City could not afford. It took a lot of guts for ten to go through with it. I'm just glad I don't like in STC anymore so I don't have to pay for it. Lol
Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 PM
3rd Line

Bleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Hate to break it you, but $1M is a lot of money to the City.

It's actually $100,000 / year for ten years, which isn't exactly a million up front.
This is just another self promotion spectacle, that they have become famous for. And also, this particular organization that we are talking about is pretty notorious for not exactly paying on time.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Big League

strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
It's actually $100,000 / year for ten years, which isn't exactly a million up front.

This is just another self promotion spectacle, that they have become famous for. And also, this particular organization that we are talking about is pretty notorious for not exactly paying on time.

I didn't know it was spread over ten years. Thanks for the info.

So what u r saying is you would be happier if they kept the money and didn't 'donate' it?

Sounds to me like you have an ax to grind with the Burkes ...
Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 AM

Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,082 Posts
NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!NiceDawg is absolutely magnificent!

Address Way is actually a driveway around the Meridian Centre. The actual road in front of the lower level parking lot that now hosts the MC used to be called "The Parkway" and was officially renamed to McGuire St. In twenty years if the IceDogs are neutered, the City will rename the driveway... and if they are still going strong no one would dare. $1M or $100K x 10 years is a substantial amount of revenue for any City. Thank you Bill and Denise Burke for your generosity!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiceDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2016, 08:11 AM
3rd Line

Bleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura aboutBleechers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
I didn't know it was spread over ten years. Thanks for the info.

So what u r saying is you would be happier if they kept the money and didn't 'donate' it?

Sounds to me like you have an ax to grind with the Burkes ...

Your welcome for the info.
As for an axe to grind..............no.
As for a donation.....................it would not be.....it would be a purchase, with their stipulations at a later date.

The Spidey senses are shooting left and right that they are going to be packing their bags in the near future
and they want the cash.
They are awesome at self promotion, but in the business aspect, flags have continually been thrown when things do not go there way. They have been masters of deflection in the past, and the people of Niagara eat it up. We owe them nothing, just as they owe us nothing.
It's Business, and every point directs them to selling the team. Remember they are foremost Business People.....People of Profit. Not that this is bad....it's just a fact.
The bags are coming out of storage, and the car is warming up.
Don't be surprised.

PS. I am not a Burke hater, no grudges, nothing at all. I thank them for there help to bring back Hockey to St. Catharines !
Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 PM
2nd Line

Thanked 1,070 Times in 400 Posts
LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Your welcome for the info.
As for an axe to grind..............no.
As for a donation.....................it would not be.....it would be a purchase, with their stipulations at a later date.

The Spidey senses are shooting left and right that they are going to be packing their bags in the near future
and they want the cash.
They are awesome at self promotion, but in the business aspect, flags have continually been thrown when things do not go there way. They have been masters of deflection in the past, and the people of Niagara eat it up. We owe them nothing, just as they owe us nothing.
It's Business, and every point directs them to selling the team. Remember they are foremost Business People.....People of Profit. Not that this is bad....it's just a fact.
The bags are coming out of storage, and the car is warming up.
Don't be surprised.

PS. I am not a Burke hater, no grudges, nothing at all. I thank them for there help to bring back Hockey to St. Catharines !
Sorry to bring up an older post but I don't have time to read this forum very often. I would like to correct a number of things you have said.

First, you state that the hockey team might not be here in 10 years. The IceDogs have signed a 20 year lease with an option for four additional 5 year terms. They are not going anywhere for the next 18 years.

The one million dollars is not "just pocket change for the city coffers". Without the $1 million, taxes will need to be increased to compensate for that loss. If $1 million was pocket change, the city would not have closed all those pools and made all those other cuts last year.

You have implied a few times in your posts that the Burkes are doing this because they now don't want to pay the $1 million. That is not true. The Burkes have tried to resolve this issue for months and even hired a lawyer at their own expense to try to come to an agreement with the city. As well, the city has admitted that staff did not honour the original agreement approved by council (that is that the naming rights would be in perpetuity and the name could be changed in the future) and now the city solicitor has either been terminated or resigned. It seems obvious that this was not the IceDogs fault in any way.

You also state that "Remember they are foremost Business People.....People of Profit" While I would agree they are business people, if profit was really all they wanted they would have never relocated an OHL team to St. Catharines. Playing at the outdated Jack for 7 years was not a smart business decision and many other owners likely would have never allowed their team to play there or would have relocated to another city well before the end of the seven years. I am very thankful that the Burkes stayed at the Jack as long as they did and hopefully now they will do better financially at the Meridian Centre.

Lastly, if the Burkes do sell the team, I hope it is to the Burke boys. Many Niagara sports teams have failed in the past and I truly believe the Burke's are a huge reason why the team has been so well accepted. It's likely the Burke boys share the same philosophies as their parents which would be the best thing long term for both the IceDogs franchise and the Niagara Region.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LocalSportsReport For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

What's hilarious right now is if Mr. & Mrs. Burke decided not to go ahead with the donation, the city would actually have to spend money to spite them and rename the street because the Meridian Centre already has the address of 1 IceDog Way on all its stuff. Teach em a listen give half to a good charity and half to the city for the privilege of keeping the name that they used without a contract.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect

pup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other memberspup96 is well liked by the other members

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalSportsReport View Post
Sorry to bring up an older post but I don't have time to read this forum very often. I would like to correct a number of things you have said.

First, you state that the hockey team might not be here in 10 years. The IceDogs have signed a 20 year lease with an option for four additional 5 year terms. They are not going anywhere for the next 18 years.

The one million dollars is not "just pocket change for the city coffers". Without the $1 million, taxes will need to be increased to compensate for that loss. If $1 million was pocket change, the city would not have closed all those pools and made all those other cuts last year.

You have implied a few times in your posts that the Burkes are doing this because they now don't want to pay the $1 million. That is not true. The Burkes have tried to resolve this issue for months and even hired a lawyer at their own expense to try to come to an agreement with the city. As well, the city has admitted that staff did not honour the original agreement approved by council (that is that the naming rights would be in perpetuity and the name could be changed in the future) and now the city solicitor has either been terminated or resigned. It seems obvious that this was not the IceDogs fault in any way.

You also state that "Remember they are foremost Business People.....People of Profit" While I would agree they are business people, if profit was really all they wanted they would have never relocated an OHL team to St. Catharines. Playing at the outdated Jack for 7 years was not a smart business decision and many other owners likely would have never allowed their team to play there or would have relocated to another city well before the end of the seven years. I am very thankful that the Burkes stayed at the Jack as long as they did and hopefully now they will do better financially at the Meridian Centre.

Lastly, if the Burkes do sell the team, I hope it is to the Burke boys. Many Niagara sports teams have failed in the past and I truly believe the Burke's are a huge reason why the team has been so well accepted. It's likely the Burke boys share the same philosophies as their parents which would be the best thing long term for both the IceDogs franchise and the Niagara Region.
Where do Billy and Joey get the money to buy there own franchise? What if the Burke's sell and someone else decides to rename the team?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Big League

They get the cash for buying them team from mommy and daddy in the form of a non interest bearing promissory note. Not that unusual of an arrangement in non arms length (i.e. Family) transactions ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

Stinkyp3t3 is a glorious beacon of lightStinkyp3t3 is a glorious beacon of lightStinkyp3t3 is a glorious beacon of lightStinkyp3t3 is a glorious beacon of lightStinkyp3t3 is a glorious beacon of light

Could get UGLY

http://m.niagarathisweek.com/news-st...tors-agreement