Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,157    Downloads: 831,254   Msgs Posted: 111,272   Thread Views: 16,631,724   Online Now: 65
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 AM
4th Line

Around The Horn will become famous soon enough
Default Any changes you would like to see in the arena?

Hey everybody,

I work with the SMG-world leader in venue management as well as during the Niagara IceDogs at the Meridian Centre and I noted a lot of problems fans had tonight. This weekend I will be having a meeting with my superiors since they would like to address problems on the front lines.

Additionally, I would like to try my best to answer any questions anybody here may have. Below I will answer some major ones that I know are coming.

1) The "no re-entry rule". To start, if many of you aren't aware, smoking in public places are getting stricter. Not only that, but the no re-entry rule is an SMG ENTERTAINMENT GROUP POLICY. The Niagara IceDogs have absolutely zero say in that, and neither does the poor ticket scanner college students who were following instructions. Security is VERY aware of the threats laid on those ladies and gentleman, and security will become more involved should it continue.

2) Exiting the arena is a pain. So many people, so few exits. Unfortunately, this likely isn't a fixable problem. Despite this, there will be flaws especially on opening night. I am confident that together we will find ways to make it less of a headache

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Nevertheless, I will try my best to be of help to anyone who has any questions here.

Thank you and GO DOGS GO!

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that I am not of an authority position with SMG, rather a lower level employee who would like to push for change that would make the fan experience more enjoyable at the Meridian Centre.

Last edited by Around The Horn; 10-22-2014 at 01:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Around The Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Serving a Suspension

PuckerMan is really not well liked by the rest of the forum

I would also like my hot dog to be an actually HOT Dog. Lol Thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

cup holders in the front row are useless, could they be mounted on the boards? Can the visitors use the entry by their bench, thereby opening the lower concessions and washrooms for the PAYING public.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
1st Line

conchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond reputeconchar has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived at 6:00 PM and was surprised how many of the soap dispensers were empty as was the case with the towels...I would have thought that with it being the opening night, that someone would have made sure that the amenities were filled and ready to go. Is it not possible to allow the fans into the building even if they do not allow access into the seating area...I can imagine it will get pretty cold standing on the bridges when the snow is blowing etc ....either that or cover some of the bridges. Having said that I thought the experience was amazing and well worth the wait for the new arena.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,189 Times in 658 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Overall I liked the new arena. It didn't feel like I was in St Catharines, after watching years of hockey in the old cramped barn.

Dislikes:
I was surprised that concession stand lineups impeded the flow of traffic in the concourse during intermission. During the first intermission it took me forever to get to the washroom.

2). I found the sound system for music played during stoppages to be too loud. I'm not a geezer (42) and 'I love it loud' when it comes to listening to music, however, the sound level of music made it very difficult to talk during stoppages in play.

3). Why was there no one selling beer throughout the stands? I think not having this contributes to more traffic in the concourse area which crowds it up. Very surprised no one selling beer or popcorn throughout the stands.

4) ran out of some selections of food before even the start of the game, apparently some food selections too were not available at all concessions. Probably can be easily corrected in future.

(5) big lineup to enter the building too. Ticket scanning was slow.

Biggest complaint was the crowded concourse during intermission due to lines at concessions .

Not wanting to be overly picky but those were my observations.

I also found it weird that the 'boneheads' were sitting behind me after years of me sitting behind them! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to strohs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Serving a Suspension

SportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud ofSportsBulletNews has much to be proud of

How about more bathrooms for the media level

Mind you that is probably only because every friggen scout in the region was out to see the new barn.

Not that I was told anything, but Knott had a great game on a line with Aagard and Corneil and the Habs sent their Assistant GM Rick Dudley to the game. Mind you he could have been scouting anyone from Belleville as well. Probably really good timing by Knott though.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Goal horn seemed non-existent.

I like them not selling beer in the stands. I don't how many times at the Jack they walked down during play, with their arms in the air holding up a beer can blocking the view of the play.

I'm nitpicking to the extreme here but... out of town scores on the clock shouldn't have a zero in front of them.
I.e. Instead of North Bay 4 Windsor 1, they had North Bay 04 Windsor 01. Again, extreme nitpicking but nobody does that.

Congestion around the concourse during intermission was likely only an opening night thing, when there are 2000 empty seats on Saturday, I'm sure it'll be easier to get around.

Getting out of the arena because of lack of exits was an issue, but again I think it was because the larger than normal crowds.

As expected the lack of atmosphere with the high roof and open concourse is evident. It was most obvious when the band was playing. At the Jack they were crazy loud, last night they were background music.

The multiple concessions and washrooms are great... went to the washroom mid way through the second. Missed barely any of the action... would be cool if they had the play by play piped into the washroom.

Overall, great building that will take some getting used to.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsBulletNews View Post
How about more bathrooms for the media level

Mind you that is probably only because every friggen scout in the region was out to see the new barn.

Not that I was told anything, but Knott had a great game on a line with Aagard and Corneil and the Habs sent their Assistant GM Rick Dudley to the game. Mind you he could have been scouting anyone from Belleville as well. Probably really good timing by Knott though.
Nothing new. Rick Dudley seems to always here... he was a fixture at the Jack.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 AM
3rd Line

GSAAB is a jewel in the roughGSAAB is a jewel in the roughGSAAB is a jewel in the rough

I think I have the answer to this. When I was on the tour with a buddy, I thought the teams would exit through the benches as well. He told me that it won't happen. The OHL requires a barrier between the two teams as they exit the ice. The only barrier is that doorway, so basically the IceDogs have no choice but to have the team exit the way they do. You also can't have fans with easy access to the players as they leave the ice so the city/SMG put up that barrier. I also remember from the Gatecliff days, being told that teams had to provide an ice level area for photographers and media, I'm guessing that why they did it at the other side as well.
Besides, I don't think they'll use that concession anytime soon. Went by there last night and it was being used as storage. There was hundreds of cases of pop and water in there.

All in all last night was a good night. I think the concession issue can be worked out quickly by putting up those ropes you see at the movies or at a bank to help form lines. I don't know what genius thought to put those standing room ledges in front of the main concession at centre ice but those are useless and they just create problems. It takes away a good 5 or 6 feet of room because people hang out there, so you have to wedge between them and the people in line at concession. You can't see anything from there anyway because the tv camera's are there. If people want to stand, go to the ends, there is plenty of room there.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Serving a Suspension

Hexum is absolutely hated by othersHexum is absolutely hated by others

I won't complain about anything.its awesome..
Oh wait !
Not every seat is worth $25 .. I would not sit in the seat I had for 25$
Sell beer and popcorn in the aisles during game to cut down on congestion.