Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,153    Downloads: 830,595   Msgs Posted: 111,239   Thread Views: 16,608,104   Online Now: 69
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Team Captain

Thanked 1,189 Times in 658 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan51 View Post
Goal horn seemed non-existent.

I like them not selling beer in the stands. I don't how many times at the Jack they walked down during play, with their arms in the air holding up a beer can blocking the view of the play.

I'm nitpicking to the extreme here but... out of town scores on the clock shouldn't have a zero in front of them.
I.e. Instead of North Bay 4 Windsor 1, they had North Bay 04 Windsor 01. Again, extreme nitpicking but nobody does that.

Congestion around the concourse during intermission was likely only an opening night thing, when there are 2000 empty seats on Saturday, I'm sure it'll be easier to get around.

Getting out of the arena because of lack of exits was an issue, but again I think it was because the larger than normal crowds.

As expected the lack of atmosphere with the high roof and open concourse is evident. It was most obvious when the band was playing. At the Jack they were crazy loud, last night they were background music.

The multiple concessions and washrooms are great... went to the washroom mid way through the second. Missed barely any of the action... would be cool if they had the play by play piped into the washroom.

Overall, great building that will take some getting used to.
Good point about them walking down and missing some action cuz of it, however, I miss the convenience of it!

I also noticed the same thing about the band, in the Jack it was so loud you could barely think, here, especially since they are at the far end, you can still hear them but its no where near as loud.

It also would be a great idea if the PBP of the game was piped into the bathrooms.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
2nd Line

123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute123 G! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohs View Post
Good point about them walking down and missing some action cuz of it, however, I miss the convenience of it!

I also noticed the same thing about the band, in the Jack it was so loud you could barely think, here, especially since they are at the far end, you can still hear them but its no where near as loud.

It also would be a great idea if the PBP of the game was piped into the bathrooms.
Never noticed what was playing in the bathrooms?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Around The Horn;79908]Hey everybody,

1) The "no re-entry rule". To start, if many of you aren't aware, smoking in public places are getting stricter. Not only that, but the no re-entry rule is an SMG ENTERTAINMENT GROUP POLICY.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does SMG not manage the Hershy centre in Mississauga. They allow people to leave and return during intermissions. P.S. I am a non smoker.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 PM
3rd Line

DogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura about

Around The Horn – So I'm not comparing the new arena to the Jack experience, I'm comparing it to other OHL arenas. People might think it’s better than the Jack so who really cares? Well its 50 million dollars… so it better be 10 times better than the Jack. I believe it is not only fair but is the residents right to question this arena and it's amenities, its quality of work and overall design and pricing policies.

1. Pricing, Pricing, Pricing. Stagger the pricing so we can afford to bring our families. You are unfortunately going to see it in lower attendance figures throughout the year and unfortunately your honeymoon will end much sooner than other municipalities felt there decline with newer OHL arenas because of it. (You may never get them back) Food and beverage prices, even if comparable to other arenas is a little excessive. Sell it in the stands too.

2. Ticket booths and entrances are a bad design flaw. Nowhere does it feel like you are entering a 5000 seat arena and has no WOW factor anywhere like you get in every single arena in the league. Even the lower front lobby is incredibly bland. Love Windsor's entrances. Why is there no Ice Dog ticket window inside the actual arena? Could you have not incorporated ticket windows where the entrances are?

3. The end with the retractable seating looks so unfinished compared to the rest of the arena and just looks like an afterthought? Other similar facilities with the exact same open concourse design have a finished look similar to this and this. Makes it feel like an actual arena bowl as opposed to a cavernous open ended horseshoe style. Also are there plans to at-least close in the Sports wall of fame and display cases in a separate room, or are they just going to sit randomly on a cement floor. Should have put a bar, concession stand or something in this end (concerts or not) I still think so much more could have been done to enhance this end of the arena and tie it in with how nice the other end is. Should put up curtains to hide all the retractable support bars where the Zamboni enters?

4. I actually love advertising inside of an arena so more the merrier. I’m assuming they are putting up Lighted advertising boxes between the two levels where the nylon banners are hanging now? (Hoping for an LED Power- Ring eventually). Would also love to see a small flying blimp floating along the roofline similar to Windsor… again gives it that larger arena aura!

5. You should really announce during each period about the no re-entry rule. Should have used white netting as opposed to black behind the goals, even harder to see through.

6. I know people just love this new arena, but I'm so surprised at how much was not added or incorporated compared to other new arenas like Kingston, Oshawa and Windsor. I actually heard someone say our arena is as nice as London’s. What? Lol those arenas are phenomenal and truly have a big league feel… they thought of everything. I love Kingston’s two level concourses too; a second under the seats concourse would have gone a long way towards breaking up the bottleneck we will experience here. Also subtle finishing touches for the 50 million dollar price tag are what I expected. Here are two examples: I-Beam support pillars finished, televisions, bar style seating, and the coloured cement floor design in Kingston. We definitely got more of a (cold & unfinished) Guelph style arena compared to the top tier arena designs in the OHL that were designed after higher end arenas… 50 million is alot of money to look like a Guelph designed arena with the exception of a higher ceiling. I still don’t see where our design is a better design then there’s, as has been stated a number of times on this forum? Don’t get me wrong this arena is awesome and head and shoulders above the Jack but again I was still hoping for more finishing touches. I know I'm a little harsh, but I just wanted something unique compared to every other cookie cutter arena in the league (besides retractable seating). There is not one unique thing about this arena at all.

Last edited by DogDaze; 10-17-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Big League

bulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond reputebulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAAB View Post
I think I have the answer to this. When I was on the tour with a buddy, I thought the teams would exit through the benches as well. He told me that it won't happen. The OHL requires a barrier between the two teams as they exit the ice. The only barrier is that doorway, so basically the IceDogs have no choice but to have the team exit the way they do.
Why then at Hershy Centre (I think it is Hershy) do both teams exit via the end boards. They hold one team back while the other team exits.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Big League

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAAB View Post
I think You also can't have fans with easy access to the players as they leave the ice so the city/SMG put up that barrier. I also remember from the Gatecliff days, being told that teams had to provide an ice level area for photographers and media, I'm guessing that why they did it at the other side as well.
Besides, I don't think they'll use that concession anytime soon. Went by there last night and it was being used as storage. There was hundreds of cases of pop and water in there.

1) There is lots of room down there, curtains and crowd control barriers would keep the fans back.
2) There is a nice spot right next to where Cogeco sets up that was used for the Ice Girls to wave their Pom Poms in, total waste of space.
3) No sense in using that concession (or washrooms) if no-one can get there. Change things and it will help the congestion in the main concourse.
4) I wonder what the fire dept would say about how hard it is to get out of this building. I can't believe they were made aware of two walkways being permanently blocked off with immovable barriers (they are bolted in place )
Old 10-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Resident OHL Expert

Thanked 2,037 Times in 848 Posts
fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!fishfan51 is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexum View Post
I won't complain about anything.its awesome..

Sell beer and popcorn in the aisles during game to cut down on congestion.
I disagree... I'd rather have the congestion up in the concourse than in the aisle when I'm trying to watch the game.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Game Media

fourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud offourgrounds has much to be proud of

Hey everyone.

Fourgrounds Media Here. It was our first time running the full media presentation both in the Arena and for the Dogs. This means basically everything (other than Cogeco's gameplay footage) on the screens and coming through the speakers will be coming from our booth this season. We have a camera roaming around the rink to get shots of you guys.

Although we have been doing video production for the team for several years now, we are proud to officially join the team as their Live Production Partner.

I have been noting much of the media/AV based feedback and we plan to incorporate it into the future. Let us know your thoughts!

We will be posting our intro video soon for you all to see again. Hope you had a good experience and we plan on making it better and better.

Many of the suggestions above are out of the Dogs' control as SMG is the company running the facility however I'm sure the more constructive feedback the Dogs get to bring to the facility staff the better.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:59 PM
3rd Line

DogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura aboutDogDaze has a spectacular aura about

I love the fact that the facility and IceDogs are asking for feedback from the fans... so professional.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
2nd Line

Puckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to allPuckhound is a name known to all

Couldn't beleive the congestion between periods at the corner concession area. (section 117) People were coming throught doors and cutting though the line for concessions. Reminded me of the lower concession area at the Jack with all the people cutting through the lines. I'll use the center ice concession in the future.