Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum !  

Search:     Photos: 23,076    Downloads: 808,386   Msgs Posted: 108,471   Thread Views: 15,499,184   Online Now: 58
Go Back   Niagara IceDogs Fan Forum ! > NIAGARA ICEDOGS Fan Forums > The Meridian Center

Notices

The Meridian Center All talk, news, comments, on building our new arena go in here.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:49 PM
SysOp

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,350 Posts
AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

A couple more quick things:

1: THANK YOU to Around the Horn for spending the time to both read and respond to people's suggestions, wants and wills.

2: I URGE people to do what was mentioned before in this thread - please DO NOT take out any frustrations on the ticket scanners working. I was told by someone working (not one of them though) that they were very stressed out and felt overwhelmed by having only 1 person scanning. These poor people did not get to chose how many of them worked at each entry point. I'm sure THEY would have liked to see at least 2 or 3 people just as much as we would have.

3: This was NIGHT *1*. Things will be tweaked and changed continually, week after week, month after month, and I'm sure year after year.

4: Great suggestions on here and thank you for posting your wants and wills in a civil manner. Good job everyone.

THe building itself is beautiful. Some bottlenecks, yes. Some of these are unchangeable physical aspects - well, not unchangeable without a whole lot of jackhammering and reconstructing (and *money*). How the building is run is totally changeable. Lets give it some time and see if it seems more friendly with the policies aspect of things, as the weeks and months go by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 PM
SysOp

AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!AlphaDog is absolutely magnificent!

Quick question: Around the Horn -- who do you represent? I would gather that you're SMG staff, but please correct me if I am wrong. Just wondering if you're here as a representative for SMG more of a non-official capacity? And I thank you VERY much again for being here. Giving the fans a direct link to the ones who run the building that was paid for by those fans is a great thing for both sides. I think fans would be less vocal if it was a private building, but this was built by us, and is paid for by us each time we send in our property taxes, so obviously people are going to be vocal about it as they would any other publicly-funded project.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:00 AM
SysOp

Regarding smokers:

What's policy on 'vaping' (ie: e-cigarettes). I know there's no bylaw (currently) against it. If this is still a public building, I would imagine all laws to a public building apply her. It' is not smoking - there is no combustion. Nicotine in them is a stimulant similar to caffeine, and the vapor the same as the steam coming off coffee. I know there's going to be a LOT more people vaping instead of smoking each month and year to come, so do local laws apply inside the building regarding this?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Serving a Suspension

PuckerMan is really not well liked by the rest of the forum

Guys we have only played one game in the new digs , everyone needs to chill. As far as people needing to go out for a smoke , I couldn't care less, except when they come in and sit near me reeking of it . If you can't go 2to 3 hours without one then you have problems. These are the rules deal with it, if you don't like the rules then stay home. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening at the game and will enjoy every other game at the Meridian center. I put up with the Jack, now I wish they would level it and put up another parking garage. I am so thankful for the new digs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuckerMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 12:15 AM
SysOp

Puckerman: I think right now is the best time for people to post their concerns so they can be addressed right away. Nobody can know of a customer's unhappiness if the customer doesn't mention it.

And yes, as I posted before, this was night number 1. Lots of time to improve things and make tweaks here and there. Yes, the sooner the better, but I don't think anyone was expecting EVERYTHING to be perfect, in a brand new building, on the very first night of its operation. I sure didn't - I had a great time. And I'm sure any fixable problems will be dealt with as soon as they can be.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 01:39 AM
2nd Line

Thanked 1,070 Times in 400 Posts
LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDaze View Post
2. Ticket booths and entrances are a bad design flaw. Nowhere does it feel like you are entering a 5000 seat arena and has no WOW factor anywhere like you get in every single arena in the league. Even the lower front lobby is incredibly bland. Love Windsor's entrances. Why is there no Ice Dog ticket window inside the actual arena? Could you have not incorporated ticket windows where the entrances are?
The box office is inside the arena. It's at ground level right off the parking lot. As well, it is one of the bigger box offices in the league. The Kingston and Sarnia arenas don't even have inside box offices. They just have ticket windows on the outside wall of their arena like the Jack has. A couple of people have mentioned how nice the box office is compared to some of the other arenas. I totally disagree that is doesn't have a wow factor. I think the Meridian Centre has a big wow factor.

Quote:
3. The end with the retractable seating looks so unfinished compared to the rest of the arena and just looks like an afterthought? Other similar facilities with the exact same open concourse design have a finished look similar to this and this. Makes it feel like an actual arena bowl as opposed to a cavernous open ended horseshoe style. Also are there plans to at-least close in the Sports wall of fame and display cases in a separate room, or are they just going to sit randomly on a cement floor. Should have put a bar, concession stand or something in this end (concerts or not) I still think so much more could have been done to enhance this end of the arena and tie it in with how nice the other end is. Should put up curtains to hide all the retractable support bars where the Zamboni enters?
City staff toured multiple newly built OHL arenas and asked each city what they liked and disliked about their arena designs. Then the city incorporated the most desirable features into the Meridian Centre. If you look at the Oshawa, Sarnia and Guelph arenas, all of them have open concourses but there is no flex space in those arenas. There is no where they can set up multiple event tents (like the HTZ FM tent that was set-up above the retractable seats on opening night) or where they can set up a bouncer for the kids, or where they can set up nets for a target practice competition. So the large open area above the retractable seats was built as a flex space where different events and activities can take place. Last week, they set up a stage, tables and a buffet and had a reception there. Personally, I think the big open concourse above the retractable seats is a very smart idea.

As for the Sports Hall of Fame, there was plans to put in a wall and make it a separate room but for now they are leaving it open.

Quote:
6. I know people just love this new arena, but I'm so surprised at how much was not added or incorporated compared to other new arenas like Kingston, Oshawa and Windsor. I actually heard someone say our arena is as nice as London’s. What? Lol those arenas are phenomenal and truly have a big league feel… they thought of everything. I love Kingston’s two level concourses too; a second under the seats concourse would have gone a long way towards breaking up the bottleneck we will experience here. Also subtle finishing touches for the 50 million dollar price tag are what I expected. Here are two examples: I-Beam support pillars finished, televisions, bar style seating, and the coloured cement floor design in Kingston. We definitely got more of a (cold & unfinished) Guelph style arena compared to the top tier arena designs in the OHL that were designed after higher end arenas… 50 million is alot of money to look like a Guelph designed arena with the exception of a higher ceiling. I still don’t see where our design is a better design then there’s, as has been stated a number of times on this forum? Don’t get me wrong this arena is awesome and head and shoulders above the Jack but again I was still hoping for more finishing touches. I know I'm a little harsh, but I just wanted something unique compared to every other cookie cutter arena in the league (besides retractable seating). There is not one unique thing about this arena at all.
It all comes down to where you want to spend the money. Kingston does have nicer floors but I have friends that live in Kingston and they complain about the lack of legroom in the seats and the outdoor box office. As well, because Kingston has a ground level concourse, the dressing rooms are all placed in one end. This reduces the back stage area and makes set-up for some events difficult. The Meridian Centre uses almost the entire ground floor for dressing rooms and the back stage area. This allows the Meridian Centre to have more dressing rooms (6 rooms, plus the IceDogs room, plus a refs room) as well as having two star dressing rooms and a green room, and a huge back stage area.

The Meridian Centre has four full concessions stands (Guelph only has 2 full concessions stands) and we have a better video board then Guelph, Kingston or Oshawa. We also have the concert lobby on ground level with two washrooms and a concession stand which most mid sized arenas don't have.

I agree that the Meridian Centre does not have the finishing touches (like tile floors) that some arenas have. But this was not an oversite. They just chose to spend the money in other areas as finishing touches can always be added in later.

Last edited by LocalSportsReport; 10-18-2014 at 01:50 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LocalSportsReport For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 AM
2nd Line

Thanked 1,070 Times in 400 Posts
LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!LocalSportsReport is absolutely magnificent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
cup holders in the front row are useless, could they be mounted on the boards? Can the visitors use the entry by their bench, thereby opening the lower concessions and washrooms for the PAYING public.
If the visitors use the entrance by their bench, they would walk by the hallway that separates the IceDogs business office and the IceDogs dressing room. There are entrances to both the office and dressing room down this hallway. So in order to increase the buffer space between the visiting team and IceDogs area, they are using the corner exit. However, even if the visiting team entered by their bench, I doubt the lower lobby area would be opened up. This lobby is for people seated on the floor (ice surface) for concerts and other events.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 AM
2nd Line

PeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for clearing up a bunch of this stuff, LocalSportsReport. Always very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 AM
2nd Line

PeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to beholdPeskyDog87 is a splendid one to behold

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I talked to Nick Williams of the IceDogs staff and he said that they will be getting the horn volume up to it's potential, the guys (and gals) running the presentation portion of the games are the Fourgrounds Media crew so they're just getting used to all of this. Everything will improve in time. Just gotta let it happen. I'm excited to see how loud the new goal horn system is.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeskyDog87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Big League

Thanked 1,103 Times in 615 Posts
strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!strohs is absolutely magnificent!

This is an excellent thread with a lot of great information. When I go tonight I'm really going to be looking at a lot of stuff discussed here and also try and take more of the arena in. After game 1 I was more in awe of the whole structure.

Bonehead thanks for commenting on the volume thru speakers. We are sitting close to each other . I think there is a speaker directly above us.

Ps. Doesn't this thread moreso belong in the new arena area? I keep going there to look for it and then remember it's not there! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk